Control - Ultimate Edition (PS5) - Opinions & Discussion

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I just started playing Control (on PS5). I'm playing it in the graphical mode for now.

My first impressions so far (I'm just in the beginning) is that the game overall looks really nice and clean visually, the environments looks really nice. The characters and their animation isn't exactly the best I've seen. The lip sync is really off and the facial animations looks quite bad, imo. The story and setting is quite interesting, the small part of it that I've seen so far. The controls, apart from the shooting, feels quite good. The aiming and shooting feels a bit off. imo. Maybe I'll get used to it.

I'll add more thoughts and maybe some screenshots as I go, right now this is pretty much the only thing I have to say about the game, since I'm not very far into the game yet. Feel free to share/add your thoughts, impressions and media in this thread.

NoUseMercenary

Gamer & Crypto Investor
Staff member
Sep 17, 2005
I've been thinking about picking this up. Going to start my playthrough of Days Gone soon, but I'm thinking I'll play Control after that. Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts on the game.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Aiming is really something.....At some point that i needed to pass a mission with a time limit.It took me like 10 times or more...
I don't know if the aiming feels better in the 60fps mode, if not I guess I'll just have to get used to how it feels. Missions with time limits is one of my least favourite features in games, I hope it doesn't give me too much trouble.
I've been thinking about picking this up. Going to start my playthrough of Days Gone soon, but I'm thinking I'll play Control after that. Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts on the game.
If you have PS Plus you should definitely add it to your library during this month, if you haven't done that yet, imo.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
A fun little detail I ran into the last time I played is that one of the characters switches between Finnish and English when he speaks to you. Remedy is a Finnish company and Finland is my neighboring country.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Aiming is really something.....At some point that i needed to pass a mission with a time limit.It took me like 10 times or more...
If you are talking about the obstacle course mission that you have to do if you want another "object of power", I've tried that one now (a few times). It's a pain in the a** with these aiming controls, the shooting parts is the main problem for me. I've gotten new weapon modes now, maybe the automatic mode is better for that task? The regular pistol mode and the shatter mode made it too hard for me.

Sep 10, 2005
If you are talking about the obstacle course mission that you have to do if you want another "object of power", I've tried that one now (a few times). It's a pain in the a** with these aiming controls, the shooting parts is the main problem for me. I've gotten new weapon modes now, maybe the automatic mode is better for that task? The regular pistol mode and the shatter mode made it too hard for me.
Yeah this is the mission....I personally used the shatter,its like a shotgun and has more coverage...so its bit more forgiving.

PS i forgot to delete the extra line lol

Last edited:

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I just want to add some advice for anyone who hasn't played the game yet. Since alot of the story comes from documents, audio and video recordings that you find in the house, and of course side missions, I really recommend doing side missions and exploring and reading, listening and watching everything you find. This game really rewards you for doing that, if you care about the story in games that is. Side missions also gives you more than just story, so if you skip those you will lose out on alot of story and rewards/upgrades. This game is said to only be around 8 hours (I'm guessing that's without DLC's) worth of main story. My guess is that the side stuff (including document, audio and video recordings) definitely is more than 8 hours (on top of the main story). I've seen a few reviews that say the story is thin and that they finished the game in 8-10 hours. They have clearly not done anything else than just run through the main story, and missed out on more than half the game.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I have finished the main story now. I will come back with opinions on the whole game when I've finished the DLC's. I just wanted to talk a little bit about my favourite part of the main game, the Ashtray Maze. I just love how that whole part of the game was made. I even got goosebumps when Jesse put on Ahti's walkman and the music started, that combined with the maze itself was genius, imo.

Here's a making of featurette where the developer talks about how it was made. WARNING! If you don's wanna see or know anything from the game, don't watch this video.

How Control's Most Ambitious Level Was Created | Audio Logs (GameSpot)

...and here is the song that was played during the Ashtray Maze mission (with lyrics)

Old Gods of Asgard - Take Control (Lyric Video)

As someone that likes rock/metal alot, I really liked this track, especially in game.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I'm almost finished with the DLC's now. I think I started playing them in the wrong order. I started with the AWE DLC and it was fine, whithout any big problems, until I reached the end boss. The struggle was real, I probably got my butt kicked over 20 times by that boss before I had enough. So I gave up on that for the moment and started playing the Foundation DLC. Now that I have finished that DLC I'm just going to do some house keeping (finishing some exploring and side stuff) and then I'm going to try to beat the AWE boss again. Hopefully he won't be as much of a PITA as he was earlier.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Now I'm finished with the whole game, I finally managed to beat the AWE boss. Except for one thing. I'm only 2 successful bureau alerts away from the platinum and I'm tempted to go for it. So I might give this game a day or two more before I post my final thoughts about it.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
So, I have finally finished this game and its DLC's now. I finally managed to beat the AWE DLC boss (using the combo shield and shatter). That boss was a bit BS, imo. And I got the platinum.

When I first started playing the game, before I got invested in it, the game only felt like it might be an ok game overall. The initial negatives, with the bad aiming controls and such, dragged down the rest of the experience alot for me. But as I got invested in the game and got used to the feeling of the controls, I started to like the game more and more. The story and the setting of this game is really really good, imo. Definitely the strongest parts of the game.

I really like the atmosphere in this game and the paranormal thriller theme it has. The story, lore and atmosphere is really really good. Solving puzzles and exploring the environment for documents and recordings, that give you background information to what has happened and what the Federal Bureau of Control is all about, is really satisfying, imo. The game rewards you for exploring and doing side missions. I would actually go so far to say that most of the (background) story is in documents, videos and audio logs. So if you are one of those people who just run through the main story without exploring and doing side missions etc, you are going to miss out on alot of the story.

What is not very satisfying on the other hand is the feeling of the aiming in this game, especially when you are using the gun. When I first started playing the game I thought the aiming was really terrible, but later down the line I got used to the feeling of it. But I would still say that the feeling of the aiming with the gun is one of this game weakest points. It's a shame, because the gun itself is quite cool, with its different modes. My personal favourites (most used) is probably spin and pierce.

When you use your powers it's not as bad at all. That actually feels quite good. You almost feel like a super hero when you throw objects at your enemies. The destruction of objects and the environments help alot with increasing that feeling, imo.

Favourite characters in the game was probably Dr. Darling (Mattew Porretta) and the janitor Ahti. The live action scenes worked strangely well in the game, imo.

It took me almost 70 hours to finish the game, but I wouldn't take that as an indication of how long this game takes to finish. It can probably be finished a bit faster than this. I ran around in circles alot towards the end when I was trying to get the last trophies and finish the last of the side content.

So, this game started out as a 6/10 (or something like that) game for me, but after getting really invested the game grew on me. I would say that this game lands up towards an 8/10 for me. That means it's a really good game according to how I use the scale. If the aiming and the facial animations etc would've been better, this games could've been amazing, imo. Some aspects (like the story for example) of this game is that good.

Pros:
* Story (I really like the paranormal thriller theme)
* Graphics (is really sharp and clean, the ray traced reflections looks really nice, the use of colours)
* The Powers (almost makes you feel like a super hero)
* The use of the DualSense (both vibrations and trigger effects are quite good)
* The Physics and effects (breakable objects and environments, particles and enemy death effects etc)
* Music and other audio (is overall really good)

Cons:
* The Aiming (with the weapon is quite bad)
* Facial Animations (they are out of sync and quite bad overall, especially on some of the NPCs)

Small cons:
* Photo Mode (it's very bare bones compared to others)
* No manual save (the game only has auto save and you start at the latest fast travel point when you die or start the game up again)
* No difficulty settings (I personally didn't have any big issues with the difficulty (outside of the AWE boss), but I still think it's something that should be there in most modern games)

Now I actually think I wanna play Alan Wake and Quantum Break (on PC). But I will probably wait to get them until they are part of a good sale.

Alan Wake is actually $5 on GoG right now. Is it worth it for that price?