Copying prohibited... Say What?

May 10, 2008
I went to back up my game save date for Moto GP 08 and it told me I can't... So I went to "Info" on it and it said "Copying Prohibited".
What? I can't back up my game save data? That's not cool.
Have I missed something? Cause if I haven't Capcom sucks.

Aug 26, 2005
...I know this will sound stupid, and I probably don't have to ask, but are you on an Admin account? If not, then that may be why you can't back your game saves up.

May 10, 2008
[QUOTE="Perfect Sin, post: 0]...I know this will sound stupid, and I probably don't have to ask, but are you on an Admin account? If not, then that may be why you can't back your game saves up.[/quote]
Yea, it's my PS3 and I have the only account on it.
I was not aware that some games won't allow you to save your game save data. That's a rip. What's the reason for this?
Thanks all.

Sep 10, 2008
YA I HAVE MOTORSTORM PACIFIC RIFT AND IT WILL NOT LET ME save my game data from my ps3 to an external sd memory card. I HAVE SAVED MY MOTORSTORM GAME DATA TO AN SD MEMORY CARD BUT MOTORSTORM PACIFIC RIFT WILL NOT LET ME SAVE MY SAVE GAME DATA ONTO AN SD MEMORY CARD I AM HOPING WITH THE NEXT NEWEST PS3 UPDATE THAT THEY WILL HAVE SUMTHING SO THAT IT WOULD LET U SAVE UR SAVED MOTORSTORM PACIFIC RIFT DATA TO A AN SD MEMORY CARD

Alpha2

Elite Guru
Mar 3, 2007
You can back up these saves only via the backup utility but that copies your ENTIRE harddrive and takes about an hour to do. I would suppose this would be true of quite a few online games where they feel their stats regarding your online gameplay could become corrupted if you traded that game save to someone else.

GameSpawn

Super Elite
Aug 28, 2006
[QUOTE="Alpha2, post: 0]You can back up these saves only via the backup utility but that copies your ENTIRE harddrive and takes about an hour to do. I would suppose this would be true of quite a few online games where they feel their stats regarding your online gameplay could become corrupted if you traded that game save to someone else.[/quote]Also with that method you are limited to the size of your backup device. Unless you have a utility to format a hard drive to FAT32 larger than 30GB, 30GB is the biggest backup you can make with the backup utility. I have 150+GB on mine, but it's been pretty stable, so I'm not worried much.

This is just something you have to live with. Game devs do this to prevent game save sharing.

Feb 13, 2008
Its a good thing in some way, atleast you dont see a bunch of friends who say they've unlocked all bikes etc... in one day, when in reality just got it off the net...

Its also bad because if you loose the data, your screwed.

May 10, 2008
I can understand the no game share thing, but still, kind of an annoyance when you work so far to build stats etc, and can't save them in the event of the unfortunate.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="wunderless, post: 0]I can understand the no game share thing, but still, kind of an annoyance when you work so far to build stats etc, and can't save them in the event of the unfortunate.[/quote]

You can back them up using the "Backup Utility"... as long as you don't try to use it to restore another PS3. That save file is locked to that specific PS3. I had to trade in PS3's for a new one and was able to transfer all of my game saves except my R6V2 one, which I sold afterward because of how dumb I felt their system of restricting copying game saves is.

GTR1986

Dedicated Member
Sep 10, 2007
I noticed this the other day when I was backing up my game saves. Need for Speed: ProStreet is another game that does not let you back up the gamesave.