CP points

themc

Apprentice
Oct 31, 2007
Where did you get the most points at ? I'm on chapter 9 the palamecia and i'm getting like 160-745 a fight depending on what group i run up on. I think i'm gonna stay here for awhile and build up my points to prolly like 50,000 or 100,000cp. unless someone has a better spot.

Jan 12, 2009
I suggest you wait untill chapter 11 for building up your CP, you can get 4-8k per fight in chapter 11 on pre-emptive fight staggered behemoths. Also the CP needed for each node increases dramatically in chapter 11 where you need 6-10k per. and getting 150 or so a fight in chapter 9 is not really worth farming. One thing that might be worth farming are the incentive chips to sell for more gil, since around chapter 9 if I remember there are many of those flying soldier guys which drop the chips frequently. I felt like once I hit chapter 11 I was out of money constantly trying to keep my gear good enough 5 star most of my fights.

themc

Apprentice
Oct 31, 2007
wow and i thought i was doing something smh, so did you sell most of your chips and what not or did you use them for upgrading ? cause i'm not sure if i should upgrade now or wait

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
[QUOTE="themc, post: 0]wow and i thought i was doing something smh, so did you sell most of your chips and what not or did you use them for upgrading ? cause i'm not sure if i should upgrade now or wait[/quote]

Chips are really only useful for selling for gil, think its 500-1000 each (depending on chip) - and there worth like 6 upgrade exp.. lol

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
I'm currently training there myself. The guide recommends to stay there for a while to accumulate more chips.

I got a problem...I could sell the incentitives chips, but can't find the credit chips to sell. o_O

X-Frame

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2008
On Taijin's Tower, I think Ch. 11 there is a spot on I think the higher floors where you face 5 Pulse-Gladiators which are easy as hell but give you 8000 CP each fight. I grinded there for a bit and got lots of points. I was set for the rest of the game.

Feb 8, 2006
[QUOTE="robvandam111, post: 0]I'm currently training there myself. The guide recommends to stay there for a while to accumulate more chips.

I got a problem...I could sell the incentitives chips, but can't find the credit chips to sell. o_O[/quote]

Well considering incentitives chips give you way more money, I'd say you don't really have a problem:D

themc

Apprentice
Oct 31, 2007
[QUOTE="X-Frame, post: 0]On Taijin's Tower, I think Ch. 11 there is a spot on I think the higher floors where you face 5 Pulse-Gladiators which are easy as hell but give you 8000 CP each fight. I grinded there for a bit and got lots of points. I was set for the rest of the game.[/quote]

Ha that's exactly what i wanted to hear, a spot where i can be set for the rest of the game is perfect, now i just gotta build up my money for the upgrades and i'll be good i guess. but so far from everybodies posts i thinking i should sell these digital circuits and incentive chips but what about the silicone oil. and are ya'll just selling everything ?

Spoonspec

Apprentice
Jan 10, 2008
[QUOTE="X-Frame, post: 0]On Taijin's Tower, I think Ch. 11 there is a spot on I think the higher floors where you face 5 Pulse-Gladiators which are easy as hell but give you 8000 CP each fight. I grinded there for a bit and got lots of points. I was set for the rest of the game.[/quote]

Do you remember which floor? Cause I'm at the Tower now :shock:

MGSfan

Dedicated Member
Jun 24, 2005
I didn't start collecting until chapter 11 :D I'm still collecting but it's starting to get boring now I might just continue on with the story instead and return later.

X-Frame

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2008
[QUOTE="Spoonspec, post: 0]Do you remember which floor? Cause I'm at the Tower now :shock:[/quote]

No, but it is towards the end of the tower. You will know when you come across the 5 enemies. They're in a rather large room. You fight them, then you run back outside to the nearest Save point .. run back inside to the room (they won't reappear yet) you need to walk up the stairs in the room. Walk back down and they will be there.

You get 8000 per teammate which is really good.

Spoonspec

Apprentice
Jan 10, 2008
[QUOTE="X-Frame, post: 0]No, but it is towards the end of the tower. You will know when you come across the 5 enemies. They're in a rather large room. You fight them, then you run back outside to the nearest Save point .. run back inside to the room (they won't reappear yet) you need to walk up the stairs in the room. Walk back down and they will be there.

You get 8000 per teammate which is really good.[/quote]

Nice, good to know. Thanks for the info.

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
No grinding is needed until post game, and grinding before then is basically a waste of time.

If you play straight through, but don't skip around fights, you gain enough CP to pretty much max out your 3 main area's by the time you the next level of the Crystarium becomes available (give or take a couple of slots.) Yes, you can pick up a few sets of Incentive Chips, but you could just as easily play on an pick up other stuff to sell, not really a big deal, you should get enough to Max out the first level of you're lower weapons (1 maxed for each char) before you reach chapt 11. Which is where you need to be before you get the transformation materia to make the progress. And you can complete the game play through w/ easy even w/o doing this, including 5* the final battle.

Once you get to chapter 11 do missions 1-17 (all of them) and this will have you at a sufficient level to move on towards the Tower and the reset of the game. All this w/o farming.

If you feel you need some cash, do the Chocobo Hunt Game (after you get access to the Chocobo's.)

Then after you finish the main storyline of the game, you can back to the Chapter 11 area and begin your farming w/ Vanille's 'Death' on the Adaman(tor)toise. I'd mix it up, a bit of farming and a bit of doing missions 30+ so as it doesn't become too monotonous, which is the reason not to farm in the first place.

Spending several hours at chapter 9 to pick up 50K, when you'll pick it up in 30mins of regular play in the Tower is IMO a complete waste. Especially as the regular fights you need to go through are not really that tough and the Boss battles aren't going to really be that much easier because you're got 5-10% more overall HP, Magic, Str.

Crystarium Update Stragey:
1.) Start by updating your Char's main focus (the one that you normally use the as.) If you have a Com/Rav/Syn and you use them as Com first then Syn and almost never Rav, start by filling out Com
2.) Don't go off the sides and pick up the extra HP, Str, Mag while there are still Capabilities/Accessory Slots available. Instead come back and fill these in later. As mentioned above, you'll have enough CP to do this before the next level of the Crystarium is available to you and the better abilities are much more important.
3.) Do NOT use one bit of CP on anything outside your primary 3 areas until you've 100% maxed out the entire Crystarium (which will not be until post storyline.) This includes once you've maxed out the current level of the Crystarium for those three area's - just sit there and save up the points until the next level of the Crystarium becomes available to you.
4.) Make sure you spend the CP points of the 3 char's that you're not playing before it reaches 999999 as it stops counting up after it reaches 999999 and anything else is wasted. Note there's some boss battles late in the game where you're earning 100K CP. Good rule of thumb. If they're up to 500K, take a few minutes to go ahead and spend their CP. In this case, I break rule 2 above as they're not my main char's and I don't want to have go back and search through the Crystarium to make sure I didn't skip anything.

TAZ427

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Yeah, I kept thinking about spending time doing just that, but I kept waiting to hit some sort of a progress wall so to speak and never did until chapter 11, then I started doing Missions, and found that going through them I had to fight to get to them, so I figured, what the hell, I'll just do them and then maybe level some. By the time I was done w/ the missions, I decided to try out the area heading towards the tower. And kept doing this and always found that I wasn't running into anything that was too much to handle down the main path (a couple items like the Juggernaut that's down a side path may have been too much, but wasn't on the main path.)

This is a bit different from some of the other FF's I've played in the past where you really needed to work your char's up to get through the main story. Kind of made sense there because of the openness, they tried to force you into area's as you develop to get the story. Instead the linearity here simply keeps you online and thus they don't make you grind until after the story line is done. And to be honest, the only reason to do the extra grinding at the end is for Trophies.

TAZ427

PS: The game is so long (spent over 50hrs w/o grinding for the storeline) that I want to let people know that they shouldn't bother wasting even more time grinding at lower levels.