"Credit Card Invalid" on PSN Store

B

Brainwashed97

Okay, so I decided I want to buy and download something from the Playstation Store for the first time. When I check out, I put in all of my info, and every time it tells me my Credit Card is invalid, and that I should double check my info...well, I've tried nearly a dozen times, and nothing I do goes through. I know for a fact my debit card is not blocked. I've used it countless time (most recently just a couple days ago) as a credit card and not had problems. I live in the US so that's not an issue.

I've also tried adding my card through Account Managment...but get this, every single time I try to scroll to "09" for expiration month, my PS3 freezes, and all I can do is reset it.

I find this all ironic because my whole motivation for buying and downloading a game was to fill the time when I couldn't connect to an online game in COD4!:rolleyes:

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
Have you used it at a credit card on the PSN before, or just used it as a credit card in general? Never heard of that before.

In any case, if you're crashing like that I believe Sony's number is 1-800-345-7669

One of these fancy things will probably also work.

Mar 7, 2007
I had a similar problem about a week ago, I'm not sure if it was PSN issues but I had to re-register my card a few times but it still would'nt let me update my wallet. I just left it a few days then I updated the security code (the three digit number on the back of the card) and it worked fine. Hope you get it fixed - pretty sure it's a PSN issue.

Sep 7, 2007
PSN acts weird sometimes. Just the other day I wanted to change my password because I forgot it, so when it came time for my security question which was "Where were you born?", I entered in my answer and was denied. I kept trying anything I could think of even though I was almost 100% sure my first answer was correct. I gave up and right before going to bed I decided to try one more time, I entered in my original first answer and it accepted it right away.

Dec 4, 2007
hey guys just got off the phone with Sony support. In my case I was getting the invalid credit card error as well. It turns out that I put my APT number on the second line of the address field. As a result the cc card info didn't verify. Here are the rules. Everything on one line. Use only space. no additional punctuations.

Eraser.

Superior Member
May 29, 2007
[QUOTE="Drunken Ninja, post: 0]PSN acts weird sometimes. Just the other day I wanted to change my password because I forgot it, so when it came time for my security question which was "Where were you born?", I entered in my answer and was denied. I kept trying anything I could think of even though I was almost 100% sure my first answer was correct. I gave up and right before going to bed I decided to try one more time, I entered in my original first answer and it accepted it right away.[/quote]
sometimes when you go to enter data the keyboard/typething adds an extra space at the end. Could it have been this and you just didnt notice?

pionata

Dedicated Member
Oct 30, 2005
I had exacly the same problem, for the last 2 days I've been trying to buy Oblivion Expansion. My credit card works fine in any store. Their network has a problem I guess.

Jan 19, 2007
[QUOTE="pionata, post: 0]I had exacly the same problem, for the last 2 days I've been trying to buy Oblivion Expansion. My credit card works fine in any store. Their network has a problem I guess.[/quote]

Make sure you are not putting spaces or dashes in the credit card field, only numbers. Any time you have a problem, call the customer service number, and ask them what may be wrong. They will have you do alot of mundane steps, but you may be forgetting something.

pionata

Dedicated Member
Oct 30, 2005
[QUOTE="dukecity, post: 0]Make sure you are not putting spaces or dashes in the credit card field, only numbers. Any time you have a problem, call the customer service number, and ask them what may be wrong. They will have you do alot of mundane steps, but you may be forgetting something.[/QUOTE]

Nah, Unless it has to do with an home address change? Now its been saying "try again in a few minutes" for the entire last day.

Jun 22, 2007
Anyone get any further with this?

I'm now having problems. I've just bought a new pre-paid card and tried inputting the details but it says "can't be updated, try again in a few minutes". Several hours later and still no luck. So I put my old card details back in (that worked fine a week a go) and it says the same.

Seb3sixn9ne

Superior Member
Dec 10, 2007
[QUOTE="KatanaStrikes, post: 0]"can't be updated, try again in a few minutes"[/quote]

That happens when the credit card info is not perfectly matched up. So there is a block on adding funds to your wallet. It clears up after 24 hours. So try your regular card tomorrow or something.

The best bet to using your credit card for the PSN is to check your INFO on your credit card statement and then match it PERFECTLY when entering it for the PSN.

ie. My credit card info had my name all Capitals... so That's how I had to enter it to add funds to my wallet.

~NeonFire~

Super Elite
Aug 31, 2007
I haven't been on PSN myself but I've noticed a sharp increase in these types of threads on different forums. Maybe Sony needs to rethink/reprogram their credit card verification process?

Aug 19, 2007
I had the same issue, I went and picked up a greendot card from walgreens to use for the psn. It is one of those pay as you go things, but it validated right away. I live in an apartment and that number is probably throwing it off somehow.

Aug 23, 2007
I've used my Visa card before to purchase off of the network, but now it won't let me add funds to my wallet. I've tried a few times over the past week with the same result. On another note, I noticed that the GH3 add on of the Velvet Revolver pack is no longer for sale in the store. When I look on the PSN website it is still listed as being up for sale. Am I missing something?

Sep 8, 2007
I have the exact same problem.

I entered my card on Wednesday (albeit having a few problems at first, because I was entering the card's number with spaces) and added 5 euros. It's a prepaid card and there weren't more money at that time, so I added 20 euros the next day to buy Tekken 5. I tried to add funds and no luck.

I've been trying so many times and today I decided to re-enter my credit card info to try again (read in a few forums that this works). It doesn't even accept my card again. Even if I write the INFO exactly as I did the last time. Go figure...

Is there anyone else who's got the same kind of problem? Have you found any kind of solution?

B

Brainwashed97

[QUOTE="frednet44, post: 0]hey guys just got off the phone with Sony support. In my case I was getting the invalid credit card error as well. It turns out that I put my APT number on the second line of the address field. As a result the cc card info didn't verify. Here are the rules. Everything on one line. Use only space. no additional punctuations.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this...it worked for me! I had my Apt # on the 2nd address line, and it didn't even occur to me to do that. I suppose that's something they should fix.

B

bboyneko

It happened to me..the only reason it kept rejecting it is I entered my address wrong..I put my address in address line 1 AND 2 when it should be only line 1..just triple check EVERYTHING is exactly right, especially billing addy

DangerousMali

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 9, 2007
i also had this credit card invalid for all you uk'ers make sure you write the cardholders name exactly as it is in your bank statements and no space in your 16 digit card number then it should be resolved good luck

Jan 4, 2008
I didnt read the entire post so if this has been posted I appologize. I work for a credit card company, a couple of possibilities.

Scenario 1- CC companies have a security system called TRims(Transaction risk management system). So the way that TRims works is that each time you make a transaction it gives it a score, so for these purposes lets say its a 1-5 score. You start to make everyda charges on your CC. For instance, one day you go to wal mart then mcdonalds followed by block buster. You continue these spending habbits over the next few months and even years. Obviously you have the exception of maybe a few big purchases at a hotel on vacation ,etc. Now these transactions at grocery stores, department stores, entertainment, etc score between a 1 and a 3. What you did, is probably outside of your normal spending habbits. Something like that probably scored a 4, and was declined automatically by the TRiMs. The reason being is that TRiMs sees the charge as a risk or possible fraud charge. It's an attempt to scare off potential fraudsters, shut down the card right away. If someone stole your card they would probably make an online charge instantly.

Scenario 2- There is an issue with the PSN reader(processing of CC's)

In the end both scenarios could yield the same results if you do the right thing. Flip your card over and call the number on the back, they are there 24/7, let them know it is you trying to make the charge and they should release and tell you to try it again and it should work. Moreover, you can call ahead of time and let the company know you are going to make a purchase outside of your normal spending habbits, ie a jewelry store, large electronic store charge, online charge, etc to allow the charge to go through.

Hope that helps

Jamie
Missouri State 2011

May 25, 2008
Hey i live in New Zealand and i had the same problem and i have been trying for days to type credit card info to work but today i didnt put any spaces in my credit card number and that worked so try that for example:

dont do this : xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

Type it like this : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hope this works