Cryengine 3 on console

Natalz

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2006
Anyone else seen this demo of the console version? Too bad they could not show the PS3 version in motion for some reason. Maybe the performance isn't up to par yet or maybe MS didn't want people to see the difference in versions :p. Without joking though, in the way they are showing it right there the PS3 version looks alot better. There's also a part 2, 3, 4 and 5 on youtube if people are interested.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Dc59N4WcU"]YouTube- CryEngine 3 GDC 10 Stage Demo (Cam) Part 1 HD[/ame]

hunty101

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2006
www.bitethelemon.co.uk
i didn't notice they showed of the new cry engine at GDC. looks pretty cool , i loled when he said the water layer feature looked bad on Xbox :) ha. but yea, be good to see what devs can get out off this.

R

Rapture

Cross engine development is definitely the future. I'm sure many devs like the idea of it.

R

Rapture

[QUOTE="F34R, post: 0]Look at the lower right hand of the console screen... is that dust being lit by the sun rays...?[/quote]

Looks like it, pretty nice. Though I was more impressed by those god rays. :heart:

jlippone

Forum Guru
Dec 2, 2004
I wonder if the sunrays are using the method described in their tech paper, is so sweet, finally we get away from the horrid screen space method. :)

Mar 8, 2010
Having crysis myself on my pc and seeing this....i have my doubts...all the videos/screenshtos ive seen look like a step down visually, from the pc version

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 0]Look at the lower right hand of the console screen... is that dust being lit by the sun rays...?[/quote]

GOW2 had that on PS2, so did RE5, Heavy Rain, Tomb Raider MGS4 etc
why are you impressed :lol:

jlippone

Forum Guru
Dec 2, 2004
[QUOTE="TGO, post: 0]GOW2 had that on PS2, so did RE5, Heavy Rain, Tomb Raider MGS4 etc
why are you impressed :lol:[/quote]
Well, most of the games do that by placing 'sunshaft' cards in the scenery and not actually calculate them. ;)

taurus82

Apprentice
Feb 25, 2008
[QUOTE="higgos22, post: 0]Well this could make some interesting games in the future...hope it is put to good use[/quote]

^^this, see my sig.

Natalz

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Bobbin, post: 0]The networking to the PS3 didn't work, the usual presentation troubles.[/quote]

I know they said that, but you shouldn't always believe everything. I do think that's really the reason though.

Sep 29, 2008
[QUOTE="SiopawAsado, post: 0]Having crysis myself on my pc and seeing this....i have my doubts...all the videos/screenshtos ive seen look like a step down visually, from the pc version[/quote]

You don't honestly expect the console versions of CE3 to look better than the PC version of CE2 do you?

There are certainly improvements to be found even in the console versions but they simply can't handle what Crysis did maxed out. Regardless go look at the very little PC footage they have already shown and you will see a world of difference.

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
The only thing better looking on your PS3 is opening your browser and going to Victoriassecret.com

Sep 29, 2008
[QUOTE="Lefein, post: 0]The only thing better looking on your PS3 is opening your browser and going to Victoriassecret.com[/quote]

Eh my PS3 has more curves than those women.

Anyway I just hope that they have AA running when the game ships, previous demos of CE3 certainly haven't.

jlippone

Forum Guru
Dec 2, 2004
[QUOTE="Blackout'08, post: 0]You don't honestly expect the console versions of CE3 to look better than the PC version of CE2 do you?[/quote]
In shadowed interiors, yes.
Insides of huts looked very bad in Crysis and warhead with only cue about light came from their ssao.
In CE3 they have decent GI solution, better SSAO and ability to use directional ambient.. ;)

Otherwise the difference in processing power and amount of memory is way too big.

Sep 29, 2008
[QUOTE="jlippone, post: 0]In shadowed interiors, yes.
Insides of huts looked very bad in Crysis and warhead with only cue about light came from their ssao.
In CE3 they have decent GI solution, better SSAO and ability to use directional ambient.. ;)

Otherwise the difference in processing power and amount of memory is way too big.[/quote]

Well yeah I have noticed that some things look better across all the platforms in CE3, they have some things running that weren't there in CE2 even on consoles.

But in terms of being graphically impressive there is just no way. CE3 looks better than CE2 ever did in the PC footage though.

Bobbin

Apprentice
Aug 24, 2006
[QUOTE="Blackout'08, post: 0]But in terms of being graphically impressive there is just no way. CE3 looks better than CE2 ever did in the PC footage though.[/quote]

Maybe on the PC, the consoles will still struggle with anti aliasing, texturing and their missing tesselation capabilities. Most of the few weaknesses CE2 had in Crysis when it came to SSAO or such were largely improved with the mods out there. Look at this picture:

It has much better lightning than the default Crysis. CE2 is a VERY capable engine which is still ahead of the Unreal Engine 3 or the MT Framework. CE3 obviously even improves on that. It's a shame console owners won't see the real power of it.

Sep 29, 2008
[QUOTE="Bobbin, post: 0]Maybe on the PC, the consoles will still struggle with anti aliasing, texturing and their missing tesselation capabilities. Most of the few weaknesses CE2 had in Crysis when it came to SSAO or such were largely improved with the mods out there. Look at this picture:

It has much better lightning than the default Crysis. CE2 is a VERY capable engine which is still ahead of the Unreal Engine 3 or the MT Framework. CE3 obviously even improves on that. It's a shame console owners won't see the real power of it.[/quote]

The PC version is what I was referring to.

I am still amazed that they got it looking as good as it does on consoles. It's the only MP game coming out anytime soon that I think can contend with the best first party offerings.