CryEngine 3 Trailer Shows What PS4 Might Be Capable Of

Sep 17, 2005
Amazing to see how far the detail in video-game visuals has come in the last decade. If first gen games on the engine will look like that, imagine what will be possible once developers have a grasp on the tools.

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
I can only hope this is used as much as the Unreal Engine was this gen. Not really sure what else we can ask for out of videogame graphics next gen.

jlippone

Forum Guru
Dec 2, 2004
[QUOTE="Lefein, post: 5937698]I can only hope this is used as much as the Unreal Engine was this gen. Not really sure what else we can ask for out of videogame graphics next gen.[/QUOTE]
I certainly would love to see the CryEngine4 currently on development.
We haven't yet seen the best CE has to offer.

Nov 21, 2012
Yeah if you are expecting a console to cost as much as your good computer then you will get the best graphics.
If not though expect a minor upgrade of the graphics that are currently there and for it to also play DVDs lol.

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
[QUOTE="PlaystationGuru, post: 5956638]Yeah if you are expecting a console to cost as much as your good computer then you will get the best graphics.
If not though expect a minor upgrade of the graphics that are currently there and for it to also play DVDs lol.[/QUOTE]
Nope, this will be the first wave of ps4 games that will look like this. Late next gen we may be reaching Agni's philosophy graphics

jlippone

Forum Guru
Dec 2, 2004
[QUOTE="itachi73378, post: 5956673]Nope, this will be the first wave of ps4 games that will look like this. Late next gen we may be reaching Agni's philosophy graphics[/QUOTE]
I'm sure that the games will surpass Agni and surprisingly early.
Agni does use resources for some silly things due to the nature of it's CGI roots. (IE. characters having toes even though they are wearing boots.)

Agni also uses pre-baked lighting and other standard things allowing it to be good looking without using silly amount of resources for ambient lighting.
Demo ran on single gtx680 at around 30-60fps depending on scene.
http://translate.google.com/transla....co.jp/docs/news/20121129_575412.html&act=url

jlippone

Forum Guru
Dec 2, 2004
some SE papers[/URL] on subject.)

There are plenty of games which use spherical harmonics lightmaps with irradiance volumes for dynamic objects. (IE. halo3 uses SH lightmaps.)
Irradiance volumes are used for dynamic objects even on phone games as it is quite cheap.

The UE4 cone tracing is lot more demanding GI method.

edit:
Ups, didn't notice the poly thing.
The polycount isn't really a problem with most realtime GI methods as they usually change the scene presentation into something else.
Battlefield 3 uses simplified scene presentation and precomputed light transfer information for GI.
Voxel cone tracing uses just in time created voxel presentation so polygon density and such doesn't really matter.
Crysis light propagation volumes which are also pretty much scene detail independent.

Last edited:

baho

Sep 15, 2005
[QUOTE="brebaz, post: 5958419]If only we could see the same level of the first Killzone CGI trailer in 2005 on the PS4, i would be really happy.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-4HNmuEAKg

If you look at this trailer today it's really not that impressive. The only thing the would still raise some eye brows is the smoke and probably fire effects. Lighting too, gives it that feel of pre rendered. Everything else though, is pretty meh. What you've seen in that trailer will easily be surpassed next generation.

I mean, even the first ingame killzone 2 trailer looked pretty close to it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEOFvsOFhJM . Now imagine what next gen technology will bring to the table ^_^

Last edited:

TheBreezyBB

Master Poster
Mar 22, 2007
Qatar
[QUOTE="baho, post: 5958466]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-4HNmuEAKg

If you look at this trailer today it's really not that impressive. The only thing the would still raise some eye brows is the smoke and probably fire effects. Lighting too, gives it that feel of pre rendered. Everything else though, is pretty meh. What you've seen in that trailer will easily be surpassed next generation.

I mean, even the first ingame killzone 2 trailer looked pretty close to it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEOFvsOFhJM . Now imagine what next gen technology will bring to the table ^_^[/QUOTE]

look how fluid the 2005 CGI trailer looked, now look at any game right now, you won't see a single game with the same fluidity of that CGI trailer. Particle, light effects, fire, smoke, animation & characters, nothing even comes close to that right now.

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
2005 demo looks ugly as hell by today's standards
KZ3 more than matched that demo. Ofcourse some effects are impossible to be done in realtime on ps3 like the ones shown in the demo

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="itachi73378, post: 5958288]With the amounts of polys Agni is pushing, real time Global illumination would be killer for even 680

[/QUOTE]

Thtas why SLI exists :)

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
[QUOTE="SHAZZMAZZ, post: 5958699]Has anyone notice that when a new console came out the first few games that come out for it the graphics look awesome, then the games after that dont look as good
or is it just me[/QUOTE]
Actually your're wrong. The first few games have graphics the same as the last console. The ones that come after continue to improve graphics.

SHAZZMAZZ

Apprentice
Sep 19, 2012
Long Eaton England UK
[QUOTE="itachi73378, post: 5958717]Actually your're wrong. The first few games have graphics the same as the last console. The ones that come after continue to improve graphics.

[/QUOTE]

Ok it looks like its just me

baho

Sep 15, 2005
[QUOTE="brebaz, post: 5958480]look how fluid the 2005 CGI trailer looked, now look at any game right now, you won't see a single game with the same fluidity of that CGI trailer. Particle, light effects, fire, smoke, animation & characters, nothing even comes close to that right now.[/QUOTE]

Of course it looks fluid, it's a trailer, everything is controlled :))
Take KZ3 engine and remake this trailer and i bet it will look better in everything except for particles (fire, smoke etc.).

LfCpS3

Master Poster
May 22, 2009
[QUOTE="JustinPinter, post: 5976818]This is why PC is king till the next platforms are out.[/QUOTE]

Lol, next gen for consoles will probably be as powerful as a good average gaming PC is today, probably close to a top end pc.

I think most people are expecting too much for next gen in terms of power.

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
[QUOTE="LfCpS3, post: 5976836]Lol, next gen for consoles will probably be as powerful as a good average gaming PC is today, probably close to a top end pc.

I think most people are expecting too much for next gen in terms of power.[/QUOTE]
some are and some aren't.
A dev over at gaf was saying how there are seriously low expectations of next gen consoles from people which is totally wrong.

You can count and compare numbers all day but the point is that the final 'visual' benchmark will be great no matter the specs seeing as how good current games look

Bio

Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Battlefield
Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone, but I was always under the impression that PCs have more headroom for taking advantage of the technology of the times and staying with it as it advances since PCs can be upgraded under the hood. Any given console is much more limited in that it is closed hardware and more retail price-sensitive.

There is no reason that I can see that would make that change next generation. Or am I missing something?

[QUOTE="SHAZZMAZZ, post: 5958723]Ok it looks like its just me[/QUOTE]

Well, videogame generations are notorious for having bad-looking first-year games when compared to the titles that release later on in the generation. Developers always find better solutions as they get more comfortable with the development kits (i.e., Graphics improve over time within each gen, making launch games look the worst).

I think you just have raised expectations in visuals as the generation lingers on, making you less impressed after the first year...because technically speaking, the best-looking recent games ought to be looking better than, say, the best-looking launch games.

Last edited:

Zswordsman

Dedicated Member
May 1, 2007
Tacoma
[QUOTE="Super_Lilith, post: 5892116]The RSX was a piece of crap even at launch, using old pipeline technology and low end cheap memory interface.

I think Sony has learned from PS3 hardware though and will place more emphasis on the GPU this time and use a more cost effective cpu.

I would expect next gen to do this sort of graphics at the least.[/QUOTE]
Daaang. this guy predicted the future! well at least according to all the rumors going around right now.