CVG Rumor: Sony to abandon DualShock design for PS4, unveiling PS4 in weeks

Aug 20, 2012
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/387287/cvg-sources-sony-to-abandon-dualshock-design-for-ps4/

A senior games studio source working on an upcoming Sony game says the new system's controller has undergone numerous iterations, few of which resemble the DualShock build that has become synonymous with PlayStation.

Experiments within Sony's R&D department are thought to have been extensive. Versions of the new PS4 pad include biometric sensors on the grips and an LCD touch screen, the development source claimed.

A second source, working in a separate part of the industry but still connected to Sony, said PlayStation engineers are "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita". This is likely a reference to the touch-screen capabilities of the PlayStation handheld, and a suggestion that Sony will tightly integrate its portable and home systems.

The new console - codenamed Orbis - will be revealed in a matter of weeks, not months.

Sony has declined to comment.
guessing where going to see something during the PlayStation event next month.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Oct 18, 2006
I wonder if they will still allow us to sync a Dualshock 3 to the PS4? Hopefully if this is true they didn't butcher the design too much, and I really hope it doesn't look like this f-ed up thing:

I refuse to use a controller with two big balls on the top of it!

Ariakace

Dedicated Member
Mar 12, 2008
New Jersey
Oh im sure were going to see something in february, but i doubt its going to be a full fledged PS4 announcement. Most likely It will be teasers to an announcement about something big at the GDC or E3. I also have a feeling that were going to see something very very big with Metal Gear and Phantom Pain.

Maybe its the resoloution i watched the video for phantom pain, but the video looked like they were visuals that the PSVita could handle. Im kind of thinking MGS5: Ground Zeroes announced for PS3/4 and MGS5:phantom Pain for PSVita. i have no evidence to support this, just a hunch.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
Not excited about a touch screen. It will most likely just make the controller bigger than it needs to be. I'm also not interested in looking back and forth between the screen and my controller.

YoungMullah88

PSU Live Streamer
Sep 15, 2006
Charlotte
www.playfire.com
meh thats just them combining the move and the dualshock (nothing wrong with that), as long as its not too heavy ill use it. if they stray away too much from the OG dualshock design, it might throw some people off! i know i've been using that thing since the 90s and now they are thinking of changing it?

S

Soldier 95B

Well the DS is the biggest POS controller I have ever used. They could use a update. But if it is some touch screen crap like Wii U, they can blow me.

Oct 18, 2006
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 5988909]Not excited about a touch screen. It will most likely just make the controller bigger than it needs to be. I'm also not interested in looking back and forth between the screen and my controller.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! I also don't like my controllers to have bigger balls than myself! I would rather use the boomerang design over this design...They just need to release the Dualshock 4, with proper triggers for L2/R2 and make the analog controls curve inward like on the Xbox360 controller and maybe revise the haptic feedback inside the controller.

LfCpS3

Master Poster
May 22, 2009
The vita dpad is very nice.

The 360 dpad is PURE crap, i mean its horrible, no matter what you use it for ( going through menus, fighting games, cars, everything)

The ps3 dpad is good, could be improved ( vita style).

S

Soldier 95B

[QUOTE="LfCpS3, post: 5988922]The vita dpad is very nice.

The 360 dpad is PURE crap, i mean its horrible, no matter what you use it for ( going through menus, fighting games, cars, everything)

The ps3 dpad is good, could be improved ( vita style).[/QUOTE]

For me, the standard 360 dpad was worse than the PS3 dpad. But the new 360 dpad (the transforming dpad), I now enjoy more than the PS3 dpad.

Oct 18, 2006
[QUOTE="LfCpS3, post: 5988922]The vita dpad is very nice.

The ps3 dpad is good, could be improved ( vita style).[/QUOTE]

The dpad on the PlayStation controllers to me has always been top notch, I think that is the only dpad to actually de-throne the NES/SNES dpads! I have only played a Vita once, but noticed that dpad was quite nice as well, but haven't used it enough to give an official judgement. My main thing is that they really need to fix those triggers on the Dualshock and make the analog controls dish shaped instead of beveled.

LfCpS3

Master Poster
May 22, 2009
[QUOTE="Soldier 95B, post: 5988923]For me, the standard 360 dpad was worse than the PS3 dpad. But the new 360 dpad (the transforming dpad), I now enjoy more than the PS3 dpad.[/QUOTE]

Yes i should have put the older model, the new dpad on the 360 is pretty good too, much improved.

Oct 18, 2006
[QUOTE="Dave-The-Rave, post: 5988939]Perfection shouldn't be messed with.[/QUOTE]

It's not perfect...yet...it is about 95% percent perfect right now, they just need to tweak it a little more and everyone will be happy! Hopefully the new controllers will still dock into current charging stands too!

AaronSOLDIER

Ultimate Veteran
Apr 5, 2007
forums.final7fantasy.com
[QUOTE="Dave-The-Rave, post: 5988939]Perfection shouldn't be messed with.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

We had this with the PS3, and people complained, so they just went with the usual design, it'll be no different again. And then you have the people who will complain no matter what. If they do change it though hopefully they release a DS4 later for those who want the standard controller, and I'll be picking that up over any new design.

EHY893

Elite Guru
Jun 4, 2008
What we have now is a "very good" controller in the DS3, there are some imperfections though and I trust that Sony will make an even better controller and we'll all be saying "This thing is better than the DS".

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
[QUOTE="MonkeyClaw, post: 5988906]I wonder if they will still allow us to sync a Dualshock 3 to the PS4? Hopefully if this is true they didn't butcher the design too much, and I really hope it doesn't look like this f-ed up thing:

I refuse to use a controller with two big balls on the top of it![/QUOTE]

Awful design! to gimmicky! not for me!

why cant they just use the eyetoy for motion sensor stuff it was the first hands free controller on PS2, the design isnt gd for hardcore fans imagine playing the likes of New KZ or COD on PS4 an having those to balls on top tht get in the way of things! not good! just want a normal looking controller.

coolguy

Ultimate Veteran
May 24, 2005
long island ny
i hope they keep some kind of stick and just have a small touch screen something like the wii u.
haveing an all touch screen for sticks wont work, touch screen needs to be worked o for a few more years

Oct 18, 2006
[QUOTE="nextgen3, post: 5989008]Awful design! to gimmicky! not for me!

why cant they just use the eyetoy for motion sensor stuff it was the first hands free controller on PS2, the design isnt gd for hardcore fans imagine playing the likes of New KZ or COD on PS4 an having those to balls on top tht get in the way of things! not good! just want a normal looking controller.[/QUOTE]

I will be pretty pissed if that turns out to be the PS4 controller! Worse case, I hope they will allow us to sync the Dualshock 3's to the system...

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
The L2 and R2 buttons could use a little tweaking. Apart from that, don't expect a new design. If people liked the concept of a new controller they wouldn't have complained about the boomerang design when Sony unveiled the PS3.

Last edited:

Bio

Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Battlefield
Honestly, Sony doesn't really have to change their controller. I know people this gen have said Xbox 360's pad is better for shooters, but the DualShock still works just fine for any genre from what it seems. Plus, Vita follows the DualShock format, so if Sony wants to continue cross play, it's probably going to be easier to do so if the button layout is consistent.

I suppose it's a good time for change, but I never found it necessary (unless you have big hands, I suppose, but oddly enough I don't often hear about that). I like the breakaway dualshock motion controller concept since it doesn't abandon traditional usability for motion controls. The balls on top are the biggest risk, though, in terms of design and general likeability.

[QUOTE="Fon, post: 5988903]Bring back the boomerang![/QUOTE]

LOL that thing looked soooooooooo uncomfortable...

...and ugly too (though I don't mind ugly if it's for the sake of ergonomics). But that's just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
Thumbs down

It's perfect as it is except maybe a redesign of the triggers.

Although, I wouldn't say no to a couple more buttons in general. That would be good, with games becoming more complicated plus it would make PC ports more simple.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Cyn, post: 5989134]Thumbs down

It's perfect as it is except maybe a redesign of the triggers.

Although, I wouldn't say no to a couple more buttons in general. That would be good, with games becoming more complicated plus it would make PC ports more simple.[/QUOTE]
i agree with the more buttons thing, the original xbox had the black and white buttons, hopefully we get something similar.

i think the re-design is to mirror the market more than anything o_O
Nintendo and every other company with a console (Nvidia) all have chunky controllers. i guess Sony have no choice in the matter.
that being said, i have no problems with the DS3. it fits my hands just as well as any other controller. im not too bothered, so long as its not a boomerang -.-

Nitey

Elite Guru
Jan 17, 2011

Yeah they way I see it, is if they do change what is close to perfection - it'll only be to make it even more perfect, so it's all good!

jj03

Elite Guru
Apr 7, 2007
I must be the only one who is happy with the current dualshock. I love it as it is...perfect for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

LfCpS3

Master Poster
May 22, 2009
I would prefer a redesign of the analog stick ( not their location, how they feel)

To me they are too easy to slip off, especially during intense gaming. They also need a little more resistance, 360 did it very well ( maybe a little too much resistance)