Dads got Brain cancer...

DangerousMali

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 9, 2007
Haven't been able to talk to anyone, im just speechless, been researching on the net for the past few hours on whats to be expected, none of it has brought any hope

prediction is a year or two, im hoping thats just a standard speech :(

what i would like to know is if anyone else family members got cancer, and how they tried to deal with it

PS: **** Cancer and try to give a extra warm hug to your dads guys, you never know when their is a going to be a serious threat to their health

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
That sucks dude.
I used to know someone who had cancer.
The doctors also told her that she had only months to live but she managed to beat it.
I hope all goes well for your dad.

REEEPR

Dedicated Member
Jan 26, 2008
Dining, in Hell!
Sorry to hear it man. I'm not a dad but i have some growths (on my kidney & adreanal gland) and i guess my advice to you would be to just tell him you're here for him. He probably doesn't wanna see you be sad. The P.S.U family is here if you need us.

G

GMOESAF

sorry to hear that man all i can say its not a pretty sight when someone has brain cancer and you need to remember that your dad wont be the same person he is now you will have to steel yourself as the days progress i have seen a person with brain cancer and its as if they go down hill fast once it starts to affect them iv had cancer myself and its easy to deal with if you have a good family support base but once the affects start theirs no stopping them i know its doom and gloom but atleast you can prepare for it and be strong for your father.

DangerousMali

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 9, 2007
[QUOTE="GMOESAF, post: 5488336]sorry to hear that man all i can say its not a pretty sight when someone has brain cancer and you need to remember that your dad wont be the same person he is now you will have to steel yourself as the days progress i have seen a person with brain cancer and its as if they go down hill fast once it starts to affect them iv had cancer myself and its easy to deal with if you have a good family support base but once the affects start theirs no stopping them i know its doom and gloom but atleast you can prepare for it and be strong for your father.[/QUOTE]

yeah i hear you, i've read a lot about some short term memory loss etc

it's going to hurt like ****, when i first see him forget anything

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Yes I feel your pain friend. I lost my dad and grandpa to cancer. My dad when I was 14 and grandpa when is was 16. There are really no other words that I can give you except try to keep you head up. Also don't spend the time that you have left together no matter how long it may be, don't down about it. If he sees that you are upset it will most likely make him upset as well, which is not good for his health. Spend time with him and just be by his side. Go on about business as normal between each other. The more you think about it the worse that it is. Just carry on conversation and I can't stress enough, try to joke and kid around to get a laugh. It will help you both.

Don't take this the wrong way, I understand that it sounds so much easier. When you look back on the days that you have together much later down the road, you will know that you were there for them and spent the precious time that you had enjoying his company. Cancer is a terrible ****ing thing. There will be times that you need to just be alone. Don't build up any emotions it only leads up to one big emotion that is almost uncontrollable. Also sometimes you just need to find things that completely take your mind off of the situation for a while. Whether it is games, a hobby, hanging out with friends, or whatever take that time. It is not good to be stress out all the time. Also don't turn to alcohol or drugs it only makes the pain worse. There were multiple times that I just worried myself til I was literally sick.

I'm very sorry for your news and remember that you have a friend far away that feels your pain and their heart is with you. It is a terrible thing to go through. Best regards to your dad, you, and your family. Cherish the time together is all I can say. Again I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
Yea... it sucks, a lot.

My dad was diagnosed with throat cancer this December. I was a mess for a while with just the news...

Now he's at the stage where he's finished treatment and waiting for all the rashes and blistering to go away (he went in an aggressive clinical trial to cut time from his treatment) to have a follow up and determine if hes good or needs more treatment.

Sounds bad.. but I'm trying not to think about it. Why? There's nothing I'm able to do and worrying will only **** me up more than I already am. Ill worry when I know exactly what I'm worrying about.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

Vulgotha

Power Member
Jan 6, 2007
Jeez..

Hey man, I can't really say anything that may help.. I know. But if you want to talk in private and chat about it, just to have an ear to listen to..

PM me, and i'll give you my email, AOL screen name and even my cell number.

I'll keep him in my prayers.

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
[QUOTE="DangerousMali, post: 5488319]Haven't been able to talk to anyone, im just speechless, been researching on the net for the past few hours on whats to be expected, none of it has brought any hope

prediction is a year or two, im hoping thats just a standard speech :([/QUOTE]

It is. My grandfather on my father's side died of brain cancer years ago. But he got the treatment, and lasted 3 years past the time they expected, and of old age, as he was 93. But really they are just throwing a time out there right now.

The best thing to do is keep as positive a attitude as possible. The worst thing at this point is to show fear, as that might cause him to get even more worried/stressed.

But really man, I am sorry to hear that. My prayers go out to him, you and your family. Hope he gets better.

kflashin

Dedicated Member
Apr 29, 2007
Alaska
Sorry you gotta go through that man. Only advice I can give is take a crapload of pictures and make as many videos as you can. Maybe even start a scrap book,maybe that will help a little. keep your head up bro.

psp&me

Dedicated Member
Mar 27, 2006
The most important thing that you can do is to be there for him. He will most likely experience depression and having family as support eases the pain. My sister in laws mother had cancer and it seems like she was sick one day and then it just started to progress so rapidly that she was soon almost unrecognizable. She passed 5 months after getting the diagnosis. She didn't smoke or even drink and it took her before her 48th birthday...

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
My mom, dad, aunt, grandmother and grandfather all died of cancer. My mom was the last to go as the cancer went to her brain. I was very close to my mom and it was very heart breaking. I've haven't been the same since. When she died a big part of me died with her. I was caretaking her through it as there was no other family around to be there for her. It was emotionally devastating as I saw her condition deteriorate. But you have to be strong for your dad as I was for my mom and for my dad.

Last edited:

Nitey

Elite Guru
Jan 17, 2011
I cannot offer any advice as its something I'm not familiar with at all =/ But I'm very very sorry to hear that and I wish your dad all the best..

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="x6Teen, post: 0]Wow! That must have sucked for you to go through all those losses. It was cause of genetics, aye? You might get it too if it is.[/QUOTE]

Gee, thanks. I knew somebody was going to say that. Anyway alot of heavy smokers in my family except for me. I dont smoke at all so hopefully I'll be ok. But actually none of us have any guarantees including you. So you might get it too.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Mali. I hope he gets well.

My mum had cancer. At the same time my Nan had cancer.

Luckily they both survived but I was only like 11-12 at the time so I don't think I was mature enough to actually understand exactly what it meant so I can't really advise anyone on how to deal with living with cancer.

All I can do is say that we're all here for you and you know where we are.

A

APetePerson

[QUOTE="DangerousMali, post: 5488319]Haven't been able to talk to anyo
ne, im just speechless, been researching on the net for the past few hours on whats to be expected, none of it has brought any hope

prediction is a year or two, im hoping thats just a standard speech :(

what i would like to know is if anyone else family members got cancer, and how they tried to deal with it

PS: **** Cancer and try to give a extra warm hug to your dads guys, you never know when their is a going to be a serious threat to their health[/QUOTE]

hope it gets better dude. my friend died a week ago from cancer

R_Mac_1

Forum Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Corpus Christi, TX
My grandfather was diagnosed with lung cancer when I was about 16 or 17. My dad wasn't around growing up, and he was almost like a dad to me. I spent a lot of time with him and we were very close. Anyway, it's very hard to watch them get worse and worse. He was eventually put in a nursing home, and the last time I saw him he was like a skeleton and was confused and basically clueless about what was going on and who everyone was.

Not very helpful I guess, but I guess what I mean is just enjoy the time you have and be prepared for the worst. Hopefully he does well but...just enjoy your time together for now.

berts08

Elite Guru
Nov 14, 2007
N.Ireland
Sorry to hear about your dad, my girlfriends gran was told she had lung cancer, her grans best friend was told the same around the same time. They both smoked very heavy. Her gran had to get half her lung removed and is doing great to this day. She has just past her 70th birthday and is going strong, I care for her and im taking her to the hospital today, she goes every six months for checks, so far it has not been back and we are going on 3 years since she got the news. Her best friend died within 6 months of being told, it was to late for her as it had spread alot.

It makes you wonder with all the technology in this world that they cant completely cure cancer. I wish you and your dad well and your family.

Thorzilla

Elite Sage
Feb 4, 2006
Don't give it up just yet man!
A co-worker of my dad got diagnosed a brain cancer several years ago. It was huge so it seemed like he would die. He went to chemotherapy as the doctor prescribed and the cancer shrunk so much that they were able to remove it safely.

Mar 9, 2007
Blighttown
Damn cancer, i get the feeling the majority these days lost a relative to cancer... very few people don't have a story to tell about this ****.
A classmate died when i was in 10th grade, first they only had to cut off parts of his ear then he wasn't in school at all anymore.
When he came to the graduation he was sitting in a wheelchair and already very weak, he died 2 weeks later.
Then my grandma had skincancer, although it wasn't very bad, she was 80 already and lived 4 more years.
Then my exgfs granddad got lungcancer, he had been a smoker for decades and although he quit at some point he paid the price 6 years later. The whole story was pretty bad because he was like a father to her and in the end he was almost unrecognizable.

A little more then a year ago my mum was diagnosed with stomach cancer, she had chemotherapy and it seems to be contained for now.
Shes a fighter which made it "easier" for the rest of the family, we just gave/give her all the support she needs but for now its ok again.
2months ago my gfs mum was diagnosed with breast cancer, they were able to remove it without taking of the whole breast fortunately and she gets chemotherapy at the moment...

All of these stories made me kind of numb, i don't know what to feel.
Life goes on (somehow), try to be strong.

Best wishes mali, i hope the docs can help him.

Sep 7, 2007
Absolutey crazy how many people are effected by this disease. Lost my Grandad when I was 14 to lung cancer.

Damn evil thing! :(

I am truly sorry Mali. We are all here for you.

Oct 23, 2007
Man, sorry to hear that. I actually have quite a bit of experience with family/friends and cancer. My Grandfather has been battling cancer for 15 years, a friend just died (22 years old) from Hodgkin's Lymphoma, one of my Aunt's brothers recently passed away from Melanoma that turned into brain cancer, my uncle died of lung cancer about 5 years ago as well.

Luckily, it hasn't been anyone as close as a mother, father, or sister, but still friends and family. I generally just rationalize and prepare mentally/emotionally for the day that they might no longer be here. I never treat the person like a "cancer patient", but I make sure to appreciate the time we have left to spend together. It's tough, if you need to talk hit me up.

squirrelbo1

young rich and tasteless
Jul 27, 2008
London
that sucks mate. really sorry to hear that. my grandad got bowel cancer (not the worst i know but still) , but they caught it earlier enough and they removed it (he was up and eating and talking and everything the next day if they had let him i think he probably could have gone home :) )

as has already been said, were all here for you mate, and if you need to talk just pm me.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
My sisters grandmother died because of breastcancer. It was a terrible thing to see. I really hope things turn out well for your Father. Best utilize the time you have though....

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
[QUOTE="YoungMullah88, post: 5488838]april fools joke? if not, sorry to hear that...[/QUOTE]

Um no, just no.

Sorry Mali, I remember you were saying he had a checkup not long ago but it was ok?
My advice? I'm not qualified to say but if there's anything you'll ever regret not asking him or telling him, make sure you do it!

jj03

Elite Guru
Apr 7, 2007
@mali, sending positive thoughtsyour way. My mum has cancer so i kinda know how you feel. Although we don't know each other, if you need to get anything off your chest, let me know. Ive got a good set of ears.

my i9000..running gingerbread. perfectly. :)