David Jaffe's vision for God of War III and some Twisted Metal info (interview)

oli821

Superior Member
Sep 24, 2008
Gametrailers just posted a great interview w/ David Jaffe. It starts out with some details on the upcoming Twisted Metal PS3 title, but the most interesting part was what Jaffe wanted to do with God of War III.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sdcc-10-gttv-extended/702453

The GOW3 discussion starts around the 10:50 mark.

Summary:

Kratos kills Zeus within the first five minutes of the game causing a power vacuum allowing Gods from other ancient religions to come in and battle for power (Norse, Egyptian.. etc). For example the Sphinx would have been a boss battle that ended with Kratos turning it to stone with Medusa's head. Kratos tricks the Gods into fighting with each other and their followers begin to lose faith, allowing Kratos to kill them in their weakened state. The story ends with Kratos slitting his wrists and joining his family in Hades. The game's last scene would be about the rise of the world's modern religions.

I loved God of War 3, but Jaffe's vision was very ambitious and sounds like it COULD have been super awesome and a welcome change of pace for the the series. It would have been cool to play, but I don't know if the development of Kratos' character would have been as strong as in the actual game.

Last edited:

smiggy

Forum Sage
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
[QUOTE="oli821, post: 5121922]Gametrailers just posted a great interview w/ David Jaffe. It starts out with some details on the upcoming Twisted Metal PS3 title, but the most interesting part was what Jaffe wanted to do with God of War III.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sdcc-10-gttv-extended/702453

The GOW3 discussion starts around the 10:50 mark.

Summary:

Kratos kills Zeus within the first five minutes of the game causing a power vacuum allowing Gods from other ancient religions to come in and battle for power (Norse, Egyptian.. etc). For example the Sphinx would have been a boss battle that ended with Kratos turning it to stone with Medusa's head. Kratos tricks the Gods into fighting with each other and their followers begin to lose faith, allowing Kratos to kill them in their weakened state. The story ends with Kratos slitting his wrists and joining his family in Hades. The game's last scene would be about the rise of the world's modern religions.

I loved God of War 3, but Jaffe's vision was very ambitious and sounds like it COULD have been super awesome and a welcome change of pace for the the series. It would have been cool to play, but I don't know if the development of Kratos' character would have been as strong as in the actual game.[/QUOTE]

Sounded pretty awesome.

BlacJack

Dedicated Member
Jun 26, 2007
UK
Sounded very over the top to me. Would have wasted building up a revenge tale in the first two games just to have it be a wet dream of god killings just for the sake of god killings. I guess he would have been able to lay out his opinion of today's religion on everyone in the hammy process.

I don't really see the hype of Jaffe. GOW1 is arguably my least favorite of the series (GOW2 is still my favorite, although GOW3 is epic), Calling all Cars was pretty short on any content or deep gameplay, and a lot of his announcements about Twisted Metal have me worried about the game. Guy needs to focus on making his own games good as far as I'm concerned.

higgos22

Master Guru
Feb 8, 2009
Haha not too sure which one I would rather... the game itself is very goood but his vision is also something that could sound interesting
Well we have the one we got now i spose

Apr 25, 2007
Eugene, OR
I think jaffe's vision for Gow 3 sounds good on paper and would allow for some bad *** gameplay elements (you could do so much with all of the other mythology) but i feel like it's almost TOO ambitious because it would be this miss mash of different mythologies. I don't know i feel like it wouldn't have felt as deep. From a gameplay standpoint, it sounds awesome, from a story/narrative standpoint i don't think it would have been as tight. But no doubt that is a wicked idea.

Apr 25, 2007
Eugene, OR
[QUOTE="BlacJack, post: 5121939]Sounded very over the top to me. Would have wasted building up a revenge tale in the first two games just to have it be a wet dream of god killings just for the sake of god killings. I guess he would have been able to lay out his opinion of today's religion on everyone in the hammy process.

I don't really see the hype of Jaffe. GOW1 is arguably my least favorite of the series (GOW2 is still my favorite, although GOW3 is epic), Calling all Cars was pretty short on any content or deep gameplay, and a lot of his announcements about Twisted Metal have me worried about the game. Guy needs to focus on making his own games good as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]

Jaffe really wasn't happy with calling all cars either. Just FYI.

He's always said that his strengths aren't suited for big epic games, his genius is in the gameplay department, the different mechanics and how things play, not the narrative or story side. If you read his blog he's all about gameplay and how the game FEELS. So it makes sense that he would build the game to allow for the most over the top gameplay possible. Plus he loves the sort of shallow narrative but bad *** kind of media (movies, comics, games, etc.). Would his narrative for GOW3 been as deep or meaningful? No, but it would have been crazy over the top and insanely fun and that's what he does best. And if you want a good example of this look at twisted metal that's jaffe through and through. Not saying he doesn't respect or admire the deep epic story, it's just not his strong suit. You should check out his blog sometime, it's pretty interesting.

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
GoW3 was awesome, jaffee's vision would be awesome too. Either way, GoW3 was gonna be awesome.

Better yet this GoW3 has it open for a GoW4 which makes me one :D *******.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
I would have hated that story. Loved the game for the action and atmosphere, but would have absolutely hated the plot.

I'd be fine if they did something as a side story, or even God of War 4 (Yea I know 3 was the "last" one, but that doesn't really mean a thing)

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 5122005]I would have hated that story. Loved the game for the action and atmosphere, but would have absolutely hated the plot.

I'd be fine if they did something as a side story, or even God of War 4 (Yea I know 3 was the "last" one, but that doesn't really mean a thing)[/QUOTE]

GoW4 will happen, it has too. ><

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
That ending would have been something completely different and I would have welcomed that. The actually ending was great. Both endings have kratos kill himself so I don't see the problem with Jaffes ending. Thats just me, anyway.

Edit: @Fenix

But what would they do now? Kratos' story is done, wrapped up. I really wouldn't want to see a GoW 4 I feel like that would be pushing it.

RedDragon7

Elite Sage
Jan 29, 2007
Sounds like the game would've gotten philosophical and I'm not sure most gamers care for that. It's a hit or miss deal.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="RedDragon7, post: 5122058]Sounds like the game would've gotten philosophical and I'm not sure most gamers care for that. It's a hit or miss deal.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what game you played but the actual story is much more philosophical than the plot Jaffe wanted. The entire game is one fat metaphor for the human spirit.

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
[QUOTE="podsaurus, post: 5122037]That ending would have been something completely different and I would have welcomed that. The actually ending was great. Both endings have kratos kill himself so I don't see the problem with Jaffes ending. Thats just me, anyway.

Edit: @Fenix

But what would they do now? Kratos' story is done, wrapped up. I really wouldn't want to see a GoW 4 I feel like that would be pushing it.[/QUOTE]

I dont think Kratos is dead, cause he moved at the very end and had a blood trail with him going off the cliff. It's pretty much speculation if hes alive or dead, cause really.. who knows? Was an awesome ending either way.

I dont know, doesnt really have to be about Kratos. Maybe what happens after the fact? Not really sure what Ghost of Sparta is about, but maybe tell us more about his brother.. or even his younger self in the process.

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 5122062]
I dont think Kratos is dead, cause he moved at the very end and had a blood trail with him going off the cliff. It's pretty much speculation if hes alive or dead, cause really.. who knows? Was an awesome ending either way.

I dont know, doesnt really have to be about Kratos. Maybe what happens after the fact? Not really sure what Ghost of Sparta is about, but maybe tell us more about his brother.. or even his younger self in the process.[/QUOTE]

I know they showed the blood trail at the end of the game but that should be it for Kratos. He should not be the main character. Besides who would replace Kratos? Who could replace Kratos? GoW=Kratos. That just how I see it, if they find someone else, awesome, just don't screw it up! D:<

And what is all this I keep hearing about Kratos' brother? Hercules is the only brother of his that I know of. Where are people getting this other brother from? I'm curious.

bigCman123

Dedicated Member
Jan 30, 2009
[QUOTE="podsaurus, post: 5122091]
I know they showed the blood trail at the end of the game but that should be it for Kratos. He should not be the main character. Besides who would replace Kratos? Who could replace Kratos? GoW=Kratos. That just how I see it, if they find someone else, awesome, just don't screw it up! D:<

And what is all this I keep hearing about Kratos' brother? Hercules is the only brother of his that I know of. Where are people getting this other brother from? I'm curious.[/QUOTE] Kratos' brother (mom's side lol) was first mentioned in a unlockable video in God of War 1. During a certain scene in God of War 3 when you're in Kratos' mind and swimming you can stop and actually hear his brother's voice (Voice acted by Elijah Wood who was never in the GoW series until now so it's not some other character). It's obvious that it's his brother because of what he says. Also Kratos has a ton of brothers and sisters on his father's side (Zeus is a pimp lol).

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
I didn't like the GOW3 ending but this would have been stupid. Kratos doesn't trick people, he's just a nutter who kills anything in his path

Though I can see where he's coming from, all the gods of all ancient religions killing each other would provide a fun plot device for other's such as Christianity and Islam to pop up

Gameware336

Super Elite
Feb 22, 2005
I still think GoWIII should have ended with us finding out Kratos is the incarnation of Chaos and restoring the world to a natural state instead of one created by the gods. It makes the most sense. After a boss is killed the world plunges deeper into chaos. And in the beginning, there was only Order and Chaos. Kratos should have been Chaos cleansing the world and letting nature take the course and not some greedy gods.

Jan 13, 2006
United States
I think GOW3 the way it is now is perfect. The game wrapped up Krato's story which is what all the game's are about anyway. Jaffe's version seems to focus more on gods than finishing Krato's story.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Gameware336, post: 5122542]I still think GoWIII should have ended with us finding out Kratos is the incarnation of Chaos and restoring the world to a natural state instead of one created by the gods. It makes the most sense. After a boss is killed the world plunges deeper into chaos. And in the beginning, there was only Order and Chaos. Kratos should have been Chaos cleansing the world and letting nature take the course and not some greedy gods.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much how it ended. :/

Jul 5, 2005
[QUOTE="Gameware336, post: 5122542]I still think GoWIII should have ended with us finding out Kratos is the incarnation of Chaos and restoring the world to a natural state instead of one created by the gods. It makes the most sense. After a boss is killed the world plunges deeper into chaos. And in the beginning, there was only Order and Chaos. Kratos should have been Chaos cleansing the world and letting nature take the course and not some greedy gods.[/QUOTE]
That would have been perfect. Kratos is a poor example of a human being - all of his motivations make more sense if he was the embodiment of chaos.

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
[QUOTE="bigCman123, post: 5122140]Kratos' brother (mom's side lol) was first mentioned in a unlockable video in God of War 1. During a certain scene in God of War 3 when you're in Kratos' mind and swimming you can stop and actually hear his brother's voice (Voice acted by Elijah Wood who was never in the GoW series until now so it's not some other character). It's obvious that it's his brother because of what he says. Also Kratos has a ton of brothers and sisters on his father's side (Zeus is a pimp lol).[/QUOTE]

It was an unlockable video on GoW 1? All this time and I had no idea .__.