Days Gone is not doing so well (72% Metascore based on 96 critics)

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/days-gone/critic-reviews

56 positive reviews against 36 mixed and 4 negative. Here are 10:

PlayStation LifeStyle - 9/10
"[...] checks all the boxes of a proverbial PlayStation exclusive, but never feels like it’s stepping on anyone else’s toes. Despite the games, film, and TV that you can easily draw comparisons too, Days Gone handles it all in such a way that it has its own unique identity. The more I played it, the more I loved it, until finally finishing the long journey and not wanting the adventure to end. Sam Witwer is brilliant as Deacon St. John, and his journey of survival, humanity, and self-discovery through a deadly world via motorcycle is a memorable one that shouldn’t be missed."

PSU - 8/10 (https://www.psu.com/reviews/days-gone-review/) ;)
"Though a touch derivative and brought low on occasion by the odd technical issue, Days Gone is a sprawling and handsomely made open-world adventure that contains a surprising amount of heart and ample amounts of violence to match."

Game Informer - 7.8/10
"[...] has good gameplay foundations. The scarcity of supplies and ever-present threat of zombies put me on edge as much as it gave me options to escape by the skin of my teeth. But the inability to fully deliver on either the story or open world fronts makes it a title of both possibilities and limitations."

Trusted Reviews - 7/10
"[...] has a couple of fantastic ideas, including the blockbuster horde battles that offer some of the most heart-pounding zombie spectacles I’ve seen yet. Unfortunately, these fantastic moments are fleeting, with generic missions, a messy story, and a plague of technical bugs holding back Days Gone from becoming a zombie-slaying classic."

IGN - 6.5/10
"[..] feels bloated, like a movie that goes on for an hour longer than it needs to or should’ve. It’s messy and confused, but peppered with genuinely thrilling encounters with rampaging hordes of zombies and occasionally breathless firefights. There’s a good game in here somewhere, but it’s buried in a meandering storyline, repetitive missions, and just too much obligatory stuff to do without an eye on the smaller details that could have given it much more character."

Digital Spy - 6/10
"Days Gone seems to have taken many cues from The Last of Us and Uncharted, but fails to match their standards. Thrilling chance battles with Freakers are punctuated with meandering and dull flashback chats with your wife, bookended with abrupt loading screens, with one mission even forcing us to pick flowers."

Guardian - 6/10
"Days Gone is a derivative but enjoyable action-adventure with a beautiful environment, using AI and physics to create exciting moments of procedural entertainment. But its familiar tale of mankind struggling to re-create society after the end of the world and its romantic through-line are haphazardly structured and under-written, and the characters are too busy calling each other sons of bitches and assholes to say or do anything moving, original or profound. This is a game of fun and fury – it’s thrilling at times, but it signifies nothing."

EGM - 5.5/10
"Derivative and beset by astounding technical problems, Days Gone is a rare misfire among Sony’s first-party efforts. While the core fantasy of surviving in a world overrun with infected occasionally shines through, Bend Studio doesn’t deliver nearly enough compelling moments to justify the long slog it takes to see this mediocre story through to its end."

GameSpot - 5/10
"I did a lot of things in Days Gone. I burned every single Freaker nest; I cleared every ambush camp; I maxed out my bike; I took out a few optional hordes just because. Like Deacon with Sarah, I kept going because I hoped to find something, to follow a thread to a possibly fascinating or satisfying or impactful conclusion. But at the end of it all, I'd only gotten scraps."

Slant Magazine - 3/10
"The game meets the baseline level of quality we might expect from a big-budgeted joint, yet it remains a tiresome, empty experience."

A slightly higher Metascore than Knack 2 which sits at 69%.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
I agree with PSU review ana I would give it 8/10. I been playing the game over 3 hours since yesterday and I don't know why it's getting low review and I don't think they have spend enough time. Graphicaly the game looks amazing, smooth game-play, great story, perfect looking characters, nice looking environments from trees, clouds, grass, streets, and or buildings. Most of these websites who does reviews are bad and doesn't have experience and terrible such as IGN. They gave the legend of zelda breath of the wild game of the year over horizon zero dawn which is a shame to compare it t an empty game look liked a N64 graphics.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I been playing the game over 3 hours since yesterday and I don't know why it's getting low review and I don't think they have spend enough time.
Well, the reviewer for GameSpot made it a point to say they did everything in the game in the hopes of getting a worthwhile conclusion but ended up giving it a 5/10. I'm positive that would take more than three hours. I was reading Eurogamer's review as well and they echoed the same criticisms.

Personally, I wasn't expecting this to be a 9/10 game across the board like some of Sony's other PlayStation exclusives. Even a 8/10 seems a little generous, considering the mediocre story and gameplay design. But if you feel it was worth paying full price than more power to you.

Most of these websites who does reviews are bad and doesn't have experience and terrible such as IGN.
The same IGN that gave God of War a 10/10, Spider-Man a 8.7/10, and Horizon a 9.3/10? Yeah, God of War deserved an 11/10 at the very least.

They gave the legend of zelda breath of the wild game of the year over horizon zero dawn which is a shame to compare it to an empty game look liked a N64 graphics.
Did you really expect anything different? I mean, really? Even I don't like The Legend of Zelda that much but you're comparing a franchise that's been around for 30 years with a new IP which, despite not winning game of the year from IGN still received plenty of good scores.

By the way, Slant Magazine gave Horizon: Zero Dawn a perfect 10/10. Are they also bad at their job because they gave Days Gone its lowest score (3/10)?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
Well, the reviewer for GameSpot made it a point to say they did everything in the game in the hopes of getting a worthwhile conclusion but ended up giving it a 5/10. I'm positive that would take more than three hours. I was reading Eurogamer's review as well and they echoed the same criticisms.

Personally, I wasn't expecting this to be a 9/10 game across the board like some of Sony's other PlayStation exclusives. Even a 8/10 seems a little generous, considering the mediocre story and gameplay design. But if you feel it was worth paying full price than more power to you.

The same IGN that gave God of War a 10/10, Spider-Man a 8.7/10, and Horizon a 9.3/10? Yeah, God of War deserved an 11/10 at the very least.

Did you really expect anything different? I mean, really? Even I don't like The Legend of Zelda that much but you're comparing a franchise that's been around for 30 years with a new IP which, despite not winning game of the year from IGN still received plenty of good scores.

By the way, Slant Magazine gave Horizon: Zero Dawn a perfect 10/10. Are they also bad at their job because they gave Days Gone its lowest score (3/10)?
Almost every game is an open world and has the same mechanics with the same repetitive missions. Based on that I would say most likely gamespot gave it 5 and zombie and open world games has been out now for so many years an maybe the game would of got better reviews if it was released a couple of years ago as we didn't have such game to create or deliver such as experience. 3 three hours into any game it's more than enough to know how is the game and etc. IGN mosy likely gave God Of War 10/10 due it's popularity and different style of gaming play beside it's great game. If Day Gone came during the PS3 era IGN would give it 12/12 not 10.And same goes to Slant Magazine if the game appeared 4 or 5 years ago would see the review for it. I don't see the game has medicore story, game-play, desgin, and there are so many games are worse looking than Days Gone. The Zalda series has been out for 30 years and what does it have something new or delive from previous ones?

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
zombie and open world games has been out now for so many years an maybe the game would of got better reviews if it was released a couple of years ago
By that logic, The Last of Us Part II will see similar mixed review scores.

3 hours into any game it's more than enough to know how is the game and etc.
But you think the GameSpot reviewer who did more than you in the game and still gave it a 5/10 is wrong.

I thought three hours was "I like it so far but that might change". This is especially true for open world games. 3 hours is likely still act one of the story. The Last of Us was 15 hours long, if I remember correctly. Still plenty of time for the realization to hit that Days Gone didn't live up to the hype.

I don't see the game has medicore story, game-play, desgin, and there are so many games are worse looking than Days Gone.
As long as that's what you really believe. It just appears to me that it's mainly the PlayStation dedicated sites that are giving Days Gone positive reviews, while multiplatform sites like IGN, EGM, GameSpot, Eurogamer and more have not so nice things to say about Days Gone.

The Zelda series has been out for 30 years and what does it have something new?
Yes, but Breath of the Wild isn't the game on trial here. You're upset about IGN giving it their game of the year award over Horizon even though Horizon and other PlayStation 4 exclusives received 9/10s and 10/10s. IGN and other sites don't need to go that extra mile by giving your favorite game their game of the year award. A 9.3/10 is more than a good enough indicator that Guerilla made up for the blunder that was Killzone: Shadow Fall.

Last edited:

billm0066

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2006
I didnt buy the game and probably wont. I've been burned on a few games lately (tomb raider and Anthem). It sucks being excited for a game, spending $60 and it's nothing but a turd fest. It's sad because this game has a lot of potential but looks like it fell short.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Honestly i'd rather them to make another Syphon Filter game than this. Days Gone just didn't look the game that appealed to me.

Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
By that logic, The Last of Us Part II will see similar mixed review scores.

But you think the GameSpot reviewer who did more than you in the game and still gave it a 5/10 is wrong.

I thought three hours was "I like it so far but that might change". This is especially true for open world games. 3 hours is likely still act one of the story. The Last of Us was 15 hours long, if I remember correctly. Still plenty of time for the realization to hit that Days Gone didn't live up to the hype.

As long as that's what you really believe. It just appears to me that it's mainly the PlayStation dedicated sites that are giving Days Gone positive reviews, while multiplatform sites like IGN, EGM, GameSpot, Eurogamer and more have not so nice things to say about Days Gone.

Yes, but Breath of the Wild isn't the game on trial here. You're upset about IGN giving it their game of the year award over Horizon even though Horizon and other PlayStation 4 exclusives received 9/10s and 10/10s. IGN and other sites don't need to go that extra mile by giving your favorite game their game of the year award. A 9.3/10 is more than a good enough indicator that Guerilla made up for the blunder that was Killzone: Shadow Fall.
1-The Last of Us 2 will get good reviews as good Of War due to it's popularity and even if it's smilar to Days Gone.

2-For sure gamespot they are wrong and stupid plus it's joke.. Do you even read thier reviews? Do they tell you how many hours they put into the game? They gave Knack 2 poor review the reviewer played the game up to chapter 3.

3- You miss understood. I'm not upset that IGN gave Zelda game of the year award, it just shows you how these websites does the reviews these days and etc. Overall, each person will have different view for the game and believe its good or bad towards they have seen or played.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
The Last of Us 2 will get good reviews as good Of War due to it's popularity and even if it's similar to Days Gone.
No, my point is you can't use popularity (where said game is a new entry in an established franchise) as evidence that a game is likely to get good reviews, because Horizon was a new IP that received great scores from the reviewers who are giving Days Gone (another new IP) negative scores... as I pointed out earlier in this thread.

For sure gamespot they are wrong and stupid plus it's joke.. Do you even read thier reviews? Do they tell you how many hours they put into the game?
"Kallie finished Days Gone's main story in around 55 hours, splitting time between a base PS4 and a PS4 Pro. 735 days had gone at the beginning, and 854 days had gone by the time she reached the end."

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/days-gone-review-yawn-of-the-dead/1900-6417130/

You claim they are wrong and stupid and a joke when their review is based on far more time put into playing Days Gone than you.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007
I'm having a lot of fun with this game. I never went in expecting DG to change the gaming world nor am I burned out on open world games.

The story is decent so far. I'm a few hours in. Idk if it's picking up slow or if it's due to me doing a mission here and there and then fooling about in the world. Nothing highly impactful has happened yet but I do want to know what caused all hell to break loose and why Decon is seen as an asshole by the people I've ran into so far.

The gunplay works just fine for me. There's a skilltree so of course you need to unlock the proper skills to help with shooting. Hint:Focus isn't a bad thing to invest in. Headshots are a must if you're playing on higher difficulties and want to save bullets.

The human A.I. can be considered "dumb" at times but it's no worst than the A.I found in other open worlds games. Certain shit has to be done in order to make the game fun. If you go making the A.i. too damn smart it's going to fuck the game up(this goes for a lot of games where you're this one man army taking on 8+ enemies). I've been clearing camps going completely stealth once I got a grasp of the controls. If they spot you then you're going to have a fight on your hands. They aren't pushovers. I've taken out one horde. It was story related. I haven't ran across any of the others in the world yet and I'M GLAD this early in the game.

The bike: I preordered the game so I have a few upgrades already. You're going to want to upgrade the gas tank and keep an eye on fuel usage. You don't want to be caught stranded. Simply put, you'll need to upgrade the bike. Driving the bike doesn't feel like a pain in the ass. It controls good enough where you shouldn't be wrecking all over the place.

Bend decided to not do in-engine cutscenes for the whole game. It causes load times between gameplay and cutscenes. They should have known better that doing doing. I can only imagine the other bugs the reviewers ran into before these patches. I'm running into a constant bug where the sound drops out. It's so damn annoying because you have to close the game out and reload it all again. At least there's a quick save option BUT that's no excuse.

So far I'd give this game a solid 8. That damn sound glitch took half a point off for me. Rather my score goes up or down will be determined on if the game gets better or worse as I complete it.

For those on the fence: I can say with certainty that if you enjoyed The Last of Us A.I and gunplay then Days Gone checks that box. The Bike controls aren't bad at all. They work. Finding fuel is no issue but if you aren't for managing fuel then this game isn't for you. You will have to do a lot of scavenging. I'm still unlocking blueprints. The Weapon/Crafting wheel is similar to Horzion:Zero Dawn. I can't recommend the game based on Story due to the fact I'm very early into the game.

Last edited:

Hedon

Jan 19, 2018
Game flopped. Oh well, I bought it. Gonna start it tonight as I was gone all last week on vacation. Looking forward to it.

May 20, 2008
I'm having a lot of fun with this game. I never went in expecting DG to change the gaming world nor am I burned out on open world games.

The story is decent so far. I'm a few hours in. Idk if it's picking up slow or if it's due to me doing a mission here and there and then fooling about in the world. Nothing highly impactful has happened yet but I do want to know what caused all hell to break loose and why Decon is seen as an asshole by the people I've ran into so far.

The gunplay works just fine for me. There's a skilltree so of course you need to unlock the proper skills to help with shooting. Hint:Focus isn't a bad thing to invest in. Headshots are a must if you're playing on higher difficulties and want to save bullets.

The human A.I. can be considered "dumb" at times but it's no worst than the A.I found in other open worlds games. Certain shit has to be done in order to make the game fun. If you go making the A.i. too damn smart it's going to fuck the game up(this goes for a lot of games where you're this one man army taking on 8+ enemies). I've been clearing camps going completely stealth once I got a grasp of the controls. If they spot you then you're going to have a fight on your hands. They aren't pushovers. I've taken out one horde. It was story related. I haven't ran across any of the others in the world yet and I'M GLAD this early in the game.

The bike: I preordered the game so I have a few upgrades already. You're going to want to upgrade the gas tank and keep an eye on fuel usage. You don't want to be caught stranded. Simply put, you'll need to upgrade the bike. Driving the bike doesn't feel like a pain in the ass. It controls good enough where you shouldn't be wrecking all over the place.

Bend decided to not do in-engine cutscenes for the whole game. It causes load times between gameplay and cutscenes. They should have known better that doing doing. I can only imagine the other bugs the reviewers ran into before these patches. I'm running into a constant bug where the sound drops out. It's so damn annoying because you have to close the game out and reload it all again. At least there's a quick save option BUT that's no excuse.

So far I'd give this game a solid 8. That damn sound glitch took half a point off for me. Rather my score goes up or down will be determined on if the game gets better or worse as I complete it.

For those on the fence: I can say with certainty that if you enjoyed The Last of Us A.I and gunplay then Days Gone checks that box. The Bike controls aren't bad at all. They work. Finding fuel is no issue but if you aren't for managing fuel then this game isn't for you. You will have to do a lot of scavenging. I'm still unlocking blueprints. The Weapon/Crafting wheel is similar to Horzion:Zero Dawn. I can't recommend the game based on Story due to the fact I'm very early into the game.
So what you're saying is play the game for yourself and not go by reviews or Metacritic.. If it is, then that's funny because when its not a PlayStation game you seem to have a different view. Anyways, from what im hearing and reading the game isn't great but still enjoyable which is all that matters.

Game flopped. Oh well, I bought it. Gonna start it tonight as I was gone all last week on vacation. Looking forward to it.
So far its been a mixed bag, but hopefully you'll enjoy it. Its really all that matters.

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
Update after finishing the game and wrapping up loose ends

-I can say with certainty that if you enjoyed The Last of Us A.I. and gunplay then you'll like Days Gone.

-The Bike controls fine from the start. It feels even better once you upgrade its performance throughout the game. Finding fuel isn't an issue. Just be mindful of your tank. Fill it as you run across a gas station or gas can. If you aren't for managing fuel then this game isn't for you.

-You will do a lot of scavenging. I'm still unlocking blueprints. The Weapon/Crafting wheel is similar to Horzion:Zero Dawn. It slows down time as you enter the wheel so you can still take damage if there's something near by. Weapons you pick up out in the field are weak. Certain camps will sell you weapons. All camps will sell you ammo. You'll rarely find ammo for the weapons you buy from the camps so you're going to want to be sure to keep an eye on your bullets early in the game. Later in the game some of that tension is released but you'll be going up against hordes and you'll have to be keep an eye on your bullets again.

-The story starts out slow but it picks up once you reach a certain storyline in the 2nd camp. You'll see a gradual change in Deacon as he goes from camp to camp throughout the story. You'll find out what and who caused this outbreak. I don't want to say anymore but the story will give you a reason to want to continue playing the game until the end. Hint: Continue playing after the credits roll. .

-The only technical issues I'm having since patch 1.07 has been frame dips when riding out in the open world. They happen randomly but not frequent enough to stop my enjoyment of the game. I never encountered any dips during combat with humans or the hordes.

I'll give this game an 8.5. It's not "perfect" but the groundwork and frame is set. Something happens after the credits in a storyline and I can't wait to see to see what Bend does with Days Gone 2. They now have valuable criticism and I can only hope that they take it and knock it out the park the next time.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
The game may not have been a running success but I wouldn't say it flopped.
Regarding sales, Days Gone was reported to be the best-selling game for the month of April in the UK. However, it sold roughly 39 percent less physical copies than Horizon: Zero Dawn when it launched. Feel free to provide more up-to-date numbers.

The most recent argument for defending Days Gone is that reviewers should have waited for the 1.03 update before giving their thoughts. But I think we're forgetting Days Gone had already been delayed multiple times.

The game has been in development for quite some time, with the team’s last game being Uncharted: Golden Abyss for the PS Vita in 2011. Assuming they got to work on Days Gone in 2012, that’s quite a long time for a game to be in development.
https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/03/09/days-gone-has-gone-gold/

Review copies were sent out about two weeks ahead of that embargo [lifted April 25th, a day before release]. By release day, update 1.03 was already live which fixed many of those issues, but by that time it would be too late. Reviews were already in the can, sent off to editors, and ready to go live, meaning that a good majority of those day one reviews were played using update 1.02 or lower. Reviewers didn’t go back to see if 1.03 (and we’re up to something like 1.07 now, I think?) resolved issues that they brought up.
https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/05/03/daily-reaction-days-gone-reviews-too-early/

Last edited:

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
The most recent argument for defending Days Gone is that reviewers should have waited for the 1.03 update before giving their thoughts.
Days Gone went gold a month before launch iirc. Fuck a brief vacation. The whole studio should have been playing the game and reporting bugs and fixing them before sending out review copies. I guess it's a lesson learned which makes me a lot more excited for days gone 2 outside of the epic tease at the end.

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
Regarding sales, Days Gone was reported to be the best-selling game for the month of April in the UK. However, it sold roughly 39 percent less physical copies than Horizon: Zero Dawn when it launched. Feel free to provide more up-to-date numbers.

The most recent argument for defending Days Gone is that reviewers should have waited for the 1.03 update before giving their thoughts. But I think we're forgetting Days Gone had already been delayed multiple times.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/03/09/days-gone-has-gone-gold/

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/05/03/daily-reaction-days-gone-reviews-too-early/
?Wasn't defending it. The game hasn't been the same level of success as previous Sony titles but I don't think it's a bad game. If you are looking for another zombie-esque title to play I think you'll enjoy it.

Jun 4, 2007
I can't wait for 1,000 freakers in a horde on Days Gone 2. The highest stable amount they got running on the ps4 was 500.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I think Bend Studio did a fine job with this game. This is their first home console console since Syphon Filter on the PS2. This game is certainly not a flop and it is quite enjoyable. I have no doubts that we will see a Days Gone 2 on the PS5.

The user average score is 8.0

That is not a bad score from the public. Usually the user scores are lower than the critics scores.

Jun 4, 2007
Top 10 best selling titles (Year to Date 2019)

1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Kingdom Hearts III
  3. Tom Clancy's The Division 2^
  4. Anthem^
  5. Resident Evil 2 2019
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  7. Red Dead Redemption II
  8. Days Gone
  9. MLB 19: The Show
  10. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Days Gone 2 on the PS5 is pretty much confirmed. Well over 2 million sold. Not bad for a "flop".

Last edited: