Dead Space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magma12

Dedicated Member
Mar 20, 2008
I was browsing through the GCC and I must say there are threads that haven't had a new post since like 2004 and it's clear those threads won't have a post no more, wouldn't throwing those threads away help the forums run smooth like butter? Is this a good idea or is this rubbish!!

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I'll say this again and every time this comes up. The number of threads accumulated in a given section of the forums has absolutely nothing to do with how fast the forums are currently running. The servers were upgraded multiple times to deal with lag-times and whatnot. So yeah, it's rubbish. If they were meant to be in the trash, they would have been there by now.

grcswoosh

Master Poster
Oct 5, 2007
SoCal
If the forum database is indexed correctly as I assume it is now, this will not make a difference for the most part. The forums are using indexed searches and lookups, meaning they are grabbing the threads by a specific ID. These IDs are usually ordered in another system table to speed things up.

Getting rid of the old threads would only help unspecific searches.

Dark_Light

Dedicated Member
Feb 22, 2007
Anyone else noticed that the last 3 threads on the PS3 discussion section are dated from 1970? Heh, I didn't know this place had been around that long.

magma12

Dedicated Member
Mar 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Dark_Light, post: 0]Anyone else noticed that the last 3 threads on the PS3 discussion section are dated from 1970? Heh, I didn't know this place had been around that long.[/quote]

Wow! at first I didn't belive you but you made me a believer. I thought this site started in like the 2000's but I was way off.

Status
Not open for further replies.