Death Stranding Review Round Up

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Im interested to hear impressions on what people think of Death Stranding and what they think if they played the game.
From the video's I got the impression that people will like it or dislike it.
If anything on my side of things I like some of the main character's as celebrities but the cameo celebrities kind of just got too much and I personally don't think that they should tie the movie industry and the gaming industry together.

Here's some of the reviews

GameSpot - 9/10
"It's positive without ignoring pain; in fact, it argues in both its story and its gameplay that adversity itself is what makes things worth doing and life worth living. It's a game that requires patience, compassion, and love, and it's also one we really need right now." - Kallie Plagge [Full Review]
CNET
"Yet when Death Stranding sings it truly sings. There's never been anything like it. Alone, stuck in the wilderness, freezing to death with a 60kg dead weight strapped to your back, inches from oblivion. Stumbling blindly toward that lifeline, toward a connection to another player--a person you'll never meet. In those moments Death Stranding successfully blends theme and content. It truly does become a game about connection, and it's a beautiful thing. Because no matter how frustrating Death Stranding becomes, it never lets you shake the feeling that we're all stuck in this nightmare together." - Mark Serrels [Full Review]
Gaming Age - A+
"I was hooked from the first time I saw the title screen until the credits rolled 72 hours later. Death Stranding is immensely satisfying, and everything I could have hoped for and more from Kojima Productions." - Tyler Nethers [Full Review]
EGM - 5/5
"In the end, Death Stranding’s biggest mystery isn’t any of the elements we’ve had teased in three-plus years of trailers—it’s what people are going to think of it. Even from a man known for making love-them-or-hate-them projects, this may end up being one of the most divisive games ever created. For me, it was an experience that I can truly say was unlike any other I remember. And, if nothing else, Death Stranding makes me respect Hideo Kojima for convincing Sony to invest millions into a game that’s about a man delivering packages to holograms." - Mollie L Patterson [Full Review]
God is a Geek - 9/10
"Death Stranding is an ambitious game, filled with so many different mechanics and ideas that almost always work well together. The story and acting is fantastic, and its visuals are a thing of beauty, not to mention the powerful soundtrack." - Chris White [Full Review]
Destructoid - 8/10
"Death Stranding is not the overly-strange inaccessible walled garden the marketing has made it out to be. It's weird, don't get me wrong! But anyone with a surface-level understanding of surrealism in art should be able to acclimate to what is essentially a playable Hollywood production." - Chris Carter [Full Review]
Game Informer - 7/10
"Try as it might, Death Stranding's story doesn’t shore up its faults. It’s the normal Kojima mix of twists-and-turns, tropes, and overbearing themes, but at least I like that it explores real-world topics like the theory of multiple dimensions and key events in the history of the planet’s biodiversity. Like Sam himself, I often wasn’t sure why I kept going in Death Stranding. Maybe there was a little bit of pride in another task checked off the list, another job done. Unfortunately, this added up to little reward in the end." - Matthew Kato [Full Review]
US Gamer - 7/10
"Death Stranding might be Kojima's boldest game to date. It may also be his most tedious. Either way, its originality outweighs its sometimes exhausting structure and poor pacing... but only just. Maybe not a game I would recommend to everyone, but certainly one of the most interesting games of 2019." - Kat Bailey [Full Review]
IGN - 6.8/10
"Death Stranding delivers a fascinating world of supernatural sci-fi, but its gameplay struggles to support its weight." - Tristan Ogilvie [Full Review]
VG 247 - 3/5
"If you do manage to hold out, you will be rewarded with flashes of brilliance, it’s just that those flashes are buried as deep as the core story is buried in the endless dialogue. And as profound as it wants to be, this is still a game in which you can equip and unequip your penis so you can piss out Red Bull. The good stuff is waiting for you beyond that piss, beyond the shit grenades, beyond that Ride with Norman Reedus advert unceremoniously plastered into a game universe where I didn’t see a single television set. It’s just a test of attrition." - Kirk McKeand [Full Review]

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I watched the IGN and Gamespot reviews and it felt like one of the reviewers took time to understand what the game is all about and the other one only looked at the surface of the game. I still have no idea if this game would be my cup of tea or not. I might like it since I like the idea of the deep, dark, sci-fi setting and story. The question is how tedious the traversal of the world will feel after a while. I want to know more about it without spoiling the story part of the game.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I felt IGN game a real positive and intuitive review but then dropped a 6.8 score on it lol.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I felt IGN game a real positive and intuitive review but then dropped a 6.8 score on it lol.
He felt quite negative in the beginning of the review and it didn't seem like he cared much for the story/setting of the game. But over all the review felt more positive than the score he gave.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
He felt quite negative in the beginning of the review and it didn't seem like he cared much for the story/setting of the game. But over all the review felt more positive than the score he gave.
Ahh ya thats right. I liked the review by Gamespot better. So much more detailed.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Ok so I played this game for over 4 hours now and it bores me to death. It is always raining and damaging my cargo. I am always having to shift my body left and right to keep my balance. This game literally made me fall asleep with the controller in my hand.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Yeah it interesting to see that there's a game which reviewers have very balanced opinions but I see this as Kojima's idea to begin with.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I am slowly changing my mind. Once you reach Chapter 3 you are able to equip exoskeleton suits which help you carry more weight and run faster. You can build roads even fast travel with the help of Fragile.

I suggest if you start this game up that you do not spend too much time doing side deliveries. Get to chapter 3 as fast as possible so you can enjoy the game more.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Yeah, I've watched a few streams of this game and most of them say that the game picks up around the 10 hour/Chapter 3 mark. I've seen that you get more and more quality of life stuff after that. I'm interested in the game, but I don't think I want to pay the full $60 for it, so I'll wait until it starts showing up in sales.