[DEBUNKED] God of War also on PC? This is why

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
After hearing Ultra-wide HDR support for Horizon, im pretty keen. I could be down for some Ultra-wide HDR GOW as well.

Hopefully Epic stays away tho - if true.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
After hearing Ultra-wide HDR support for Horizon, im pretty keen. I could be down for some Ultra-wide HDR GOW as well.

Hopefully Epic stays away tho - if true.
I have this theory:

In the past generation Sony made good, good money on Remasters for the PS4. Actually, TLOU was a system seller for a long time (I actually bought my PS4 for that game... and the PS4 Pro for God of War btw)

So... this time around, they probably can't do this anymore, not without looking bad (aka greedy) since MS is offering "Remasters" for free, and 3rd party devs seem to be following suit. There's all chances that Remasters for these games already started when they took notice of this, so how to get that money back?... Well, the answer is, Microsoft Windows. Might be a Microsoft's OS but not MS hardware, and PC ecosystem si much, much bigger than ever, just look at Halo Remasters sales on steam and I have no doubt both Horizon and specially God of War will do great in PC.

Just a theory but, it doesn't sound that crazy, does it?

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I have this theory:

In the past generation Sony made good, good money on Remasters for the PS4. Actually, TLOU was a system seller for a long time (I actually bought my PS4 for that game... and the PS4 Pro for God of War btw)?
Nah, they were pretty hamstrung since there was no compatibility between Cell, and x86. Every remaster was essentially a big job - not just a matter of bumping up resolutions and calling it a day.

I've seen how you code for PS3 - it's not pretty...

PC ecosystem si much, much bigger than ever
This is probably the real reason. Compared to when the PS360 ruled the roost, times are changing with regard to how the PC as a platform is seen. Even Linux is seeing some good growth.

I've seen people with no prior experience with PC building put together their own PC from scratch - The verge did it's best to try and ruin that tho...

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Just like Horizon Zero down, God of War has just lost it's "Only on Playsystation Exclusive".

So there it is. The highest rated PS4 exclusive (and best game of the gen IMO) might be going to PC... and I have a theory on why this is happening.

https://www.techradar.com/news/god-of-war-pc
This was debunked.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/no-s...rom-god-of-war-does-not-hint-at-a-pc-release/

The "Only on Playstation" image is still on the God of War site.

https://godofwar.playstation.com/game-info

Scroll to the very bottom.

I have this theory:

In the past generation Sony made good, good money on Remasters for the PS4. Actually, TLOU was a system seller for a long time (I actually bought my PS4 for that game... and the PS4 Pro for God of War btw)

So... this time around, they probably can't do this anymore, not without looking bad (aka greedy) since MS is offering "Remasters" for free, and 3rd party devs seem to be following suit. There's all chances that Remasters for these games already started when they took notice of this, so how to get that money back?... Well, the answer is, Microsoft Windows. Might be a Microsoft's OS but not MS hardware, and PC ecosystem si much, much bigger than ever, just look at Halo Remasters sales on steam and I have no doubt both Horizon and specially God of War will do great in PC.

Just a theory but, it doesn't sound that crazy, does it?

I think it is inevitable. PC is going to be the great equalizer at some point where all gaming comes together. Remember years ago when this board was discussing the possibility of a "standardized" console? lol.....I present to you the "PC".

For Sony, it is really just a matter of finding new streams of revenue. Same reasons for Microsoft making several of their games available on Steam rather than just on their own store. Unlike last gen, PC gaming has become a much bigger subset of the overall gaming market. The stockholders who pay the CEO's salaries know this and are probably pressuring him to jump into that space. You've got similar architectures and tools across the board. Costs will go down and revenue goes up.....struggling to find a negative here.

Last edited:

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
Sony needs to launch their own ecosystem on the PC. I know it's a pretty competitive landscape and will PC gamers welcome another platform? If they don't end up launching their own, then I hope they partner up with GOG vs Steam/EPIC.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
I remember Cory Barlog was keen to bring God Of War to PC but he said he had to get approval from Sony.

Yeah from what Sony said about Horizon we think they bringing in games for PC then bring a sequel to PS5 and revenue. To get more people buying PlayStation.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
When i heard Sony
Sony needs to launch their own ecosystem on the PC. I know it's a pretty competitive landscape and will PC gamers welcome another platform? If they don't end up launching their own, then I hope they partner up with GOG vs Steam/EPIC.
I wouldn't mind that. I don't think they'd partner with gog though since Sony wouldn't want a DRM-less approach (not that it does any good on PC). But going with Steam just for the exposure, and central game library, would be pretty good. Not a fan of the epic store tho.

Also wouldn't mind if they made their own little launcher that housed their own first-party line up that you could sign into with your sony account and get the games you already bought there.

However, one thing i've learnt about Sony's first party foray's into PC software is that they're often bloated, and buggy. I bought a VAIO and that thing came with so much junk it was basically knee'd from the get go.

May 20, 2008
Eventually, we will see more PlayStation exclusives come to PC. Maybe not simultaneously with the PC like some xbox games, but its gonna happen. The only difference is that MS was more direct with it years ago and just told you their games will be on PC too. Its about selling more games and increasing revenue. Even though sony sold over 100 million consoles this gen and crushed Microsoft in sales something like 2 to 1, their profits didn't show it. This is why you see sony making these moves with their games and services. Personally, I think its a smart move for them to go this route. They really don't have much of a choice. Its either that or get left behind.