Decent and Durable in ear headphones?

Sylar

Elite Sage
Aug 30, 2008
UK
Basically I need a good enough pair of in ear headphones for work as the cheap ones I use don't last longer than a few months!

They tend to stop when the wire by the jack wears away and the wires get exposed and start to fray, hopefully I can get a decent pair and im hoping you guys know what to get and from where :D

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
Well... I personally can't say much about In Ears.. I haven't used proper In Ears since ages.

What I can tell you is..
Friend of mine using these for music, gaming, when going out on his phone and stuff.. He says they're really good and durable. I can't say it's true, never tested them myself, but I thought it might be useful to share with you :)

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-hammerhead-pro

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
Could be, I don't know and personally I don't care.
My friend is the one who uses them for it all, he says they're quite right and they work really good. He has them since months, uses the little case that comes with them and they still work perfectly fine, they're strong, durable and he says the audio quality is perfect.

Oct 5, 2014
plus.google.com
Oct 5, 2014
plus.google.com
[QUOTE="WaxWeazle, post: 6394556]Could be, I don't know and personally I don't care.
My friend is the one who uses them for it all, he says they're quite right and they work really good. He has them since months, uses the little case that comes with them and they still work perfectly fine, they're strong, durable and he says the audio quality is perfect.[/QUOTE]
The problem with that is, headphones like these only sound perfect to people who have never really heard good headphones. If all he has heard before these are the ear buds that came with his smartphone or a cheap pair from Skullcandy, they might sound perfect to him. But I guarantee they aren't even close to being in the same league as what I posted above for not much more money.

Some people buy Beats for $300 and think they sound perfect because the marketing has them convinced this is what is used in the studio. But I could pull up $40 to $50 headphones that blow them away.

Just reading the marketing on the webpage tells me they aren't going to be very good. All that "enhanced" bass shows me these are directed towards general consumers who don't really know better. And after hearing Razers gamer headsets compared to my Sennheiser headphones, I know I'm right.

Buying a good pair of headphones is a very tricky thing because most of the consumer grade products just don't stack up and there is almost always a similarly priced professional grade product that's far better. Problem is, most stores dont sell them because they aren't trendy enough. Luckily we have Amazon.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
[QUOTE="Murderstyle75, post: 6394605]The problem with that is, headphones like these only sound perfect to people who have never really heard good headphones. If all he has heard before these are the ear buds that came with his smartphone or a cheap pair from Skullcandy, they might sound perfect to him. But I guarantee they aren't even close to being in the same league as what I posted above for not much more money.

Some people buy Beats for $300 and think they sound perfect because the marketing has them convinced this is what is used in the studio. But I could pull up $40 to $50 headphones that blow them away.

Just reading the marketing on the webpage tells me they aren't going to be very good. All that "enhanced" bass shows me these are directed towards general consumers who don't really know better. And after hearing Razers gamer headsets compared to my Sennheiser headphones, I know I'm right.

Buying a good pair of headphones is a very tricky thing because most of the consumer grade products just don't stack up and there is almost always a similarly priced professional grade product that's far better. Problem is, most stores dont sell them because they aren't trendy enough. Luckily we have Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I know he has heard proper headphones/headsets too, so I can tell you that his opinion is not based on those in ears being the only ones he has used.
Though you are right though about the marketing thing...
It's ridiculous.
I've gotten myself a Pioneer HDJ 1000 at first which was remarkable audio, but it was quite the price as well, though I'm willing to pay proper money for proper quality! Have had 2 HDJ 1000 headsets and since they're out of stores now, I've gone to the HDJ 2000 ones, which are, as well as the HDJ 1000, really good quality :D

To go back onto your question though :)
I myself, used a pair of Sennheiser in ears a long time ago.. Eventually those broke and I went on to Pioneer in ears. No real reason why I switched, but yeah...
If I'd have to get new ones, personally I'd look into these 2 companies' products :)

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
I don't know what line of work you are in but as Murderstyle75 said, go for a pair with detachable cord.

Edit:
Just saw that you already got the Westone. Very nice plugs, specially for half the price!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
plus.google.com
[QUOTE="WaxWeazle, post: 6394682]I know he has heard proper headphones/headsets too, so I can tell you that his opinion is not based on those in ears being the only ones he has used.
Though you are right though about the marketing thing...
It's ridiculous.
I've gotten myself a Pioneer HDJ 1000 at first which was remarkable audio, but it was quite the price as well, though I'm willing to pay proper money for proper quality! Have had 2 HDJ 1000 headsets and since they're out of stores now, I've gone to the HDJ 2000 ones, which are, as well as the HDJ 1000, really good quality :D

To go back onto your question though :)
I myself, used a pair of Sennheiser in ears a long time ago.. Eventually those broke and I went on to Pioneer in ears. No real reason why I switched, but yeah...
If I'd have to get new ones, personally I'd look into these 2 companies' products :)[/QUOTE]
Well perhaps they might be an exception but every time I see Razer, I get very skeptical due to their gaming headsets. I know I've seen an exception with Skullcandys SLYR and PLYR1 gaming headsets which are actually some of the best on the market without getting into a mixamp/headphone/mic combo. Meanwhile their consumer headphones are pretty bad.

And I really think that when it comes to ear buds of any kind, they aren't going to last if you have an active lifestyle or a job that requires you to do heavy labor. I do have a pair of Shure SE535's but rarely take them outside because of the price. Lucky for me, I got them for a steal on Craigslist, New in the box or I wouldn't even own them. I am considering selling them because I'm rarely using them and could easily buy a pair of Philips Fidelio X1, over ear cans with the money I could get for them.

Oct 5, 2014
plus.google.com
I just tried on some Sennheiser ear buds they had at Office Depot and they were absolutely mind blowing. Some might be turned off by them though because they were the kind with the band that wraps around the back of your head. Wish I remembered the model number.