Dell to purchase Alienware?

PS Gamer

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2005
www.ps3land.com
Gamespot said:
Dell buys Alienware?

Source: Rich Brown's latest CNET tech blog post, which cites confirmation from vendors that last week's speculation of the purchase from Voodoo PC president Rahul Sood was right on.

The official story: From Dell: "Dell doesn't comment on rumor or speculation and the Alienware references fit that criteria." And from Dell's supposed acquisition: "At this time, Alienware will not comment on any speculative stories or rumors concerning Dell and Alienware's association."

What we heard: Last week, Sood brought up the possibility of Dell purchasing his high-end gaming PC rival Alienware in a blog post. Though he doesn't cite any sources as to where he heard of the possible purchase, Sood implied it was more than just idle speculation.

In his CNET blog post, Brown says he's received confirmation of the deal from a source at a high-end vendor. That source told Brown he heard the news from a pair of his company's suppliers, and noted that his company has received an unusually high number of resumes from Alienware employees of late.

The acquisition makes sense, too. Dell has made no secret of its intentions to expand into the high-end PC gaming market, but many of its potential customers are bound to feel brand loyalty to smaller outfits that have catered directly to them for years, such as Alienware, Voodoo PC, and Falcon Northwest. Judging from the mixed reactions to Dell's current XPS line of gaming PCs, the company might be well served by buying its way into the market. Purchasing Alienware would not only turn one of its biggest obstacles in the market into its asset, but Dell could likely retain much of the brand's consumer base and reputation by keeping it separate and distinct from Dell.

The other juicy part of the rumor is that Dell doesn't sell AMD systems, but Alienware does. Keeping the Alienware brand separate could allow Dell to traffic in AMD systems while making sure the Dell name continues to use Intel chips exclusively.

Bogus or not bogus?: Are we obligated to stand behind our fellow CNET employee's report? I've misplaced the employee handbook, so this one's a precautionary "not bogus."
http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=24434007

Very intriguing, Im sort of surprised how much DELL wants to get into the gaming books.

Mar 15, 2006
I try to buy seperate componets and do it myself. You end up better off, cuz you know exactly who did what to your PC, and you don't have to deal with their installation/partitioning of windows. And it feels better to do it yourself as well. Its also cheaper.

Fallout Boy

Elite Member
May 23, 2005
Redsoxfan24 said:
I try to buy seperate componets and do it myself. You end up better off, cuz you know exactly who did what to your PC, and you don't have to deal with their installation/partitioning of windows. And it feels better to do it yourself as well. Its also cheaper.
If you know where to get the parts.

You by each component at resale your likley to end up spending more then a pre-built system.

You register with a wholesaler & buy through them thats when you can get the cheap parts.

Feb 9, 2005
I hope that this means that the new DELL Quad-SLI systems will also be available under the Alienware name. If DELL wanted to get into gaming PCs then this would be a good move on their part.

WhatRuOn

Super Bias Moderator
Dec 1, 2005
Fallout Boy said:

You by each component at resale your likley to end up spending more then a pre-built system.

You register with a wholesaler & buy through them thats when you can get the cheap parts.
Umm, I don't know man. Alienware is pretty expensive stuff, I think if you built a comparable machine to any Alienware model you would probably save about 50% and only lose a gawdy casing.

Cera

Forum Guru
Jan 16, 2006
Well, Alienware's responded:
Dell buy-out rumours temporarily quashed

PC manufacturer Alienware has issued a statement in response to recent speculation of a take-over bid by industry rivals Dell, with the company refusing to comment on what at this stage is merely a rumour.

News of the potential buy-out was sparked a few weeks ago when Voodoo PC CEO Rahul Sood raised the suggestion in his Internet blog. Sood stated: "The PC gaming market is threatening Dell's 'perceived technology leadership' - and ultimately the consumer space. The Alienware brand is cooler than Dell, and perhaps a likely candidate for Dell to take over based on size alone."

Dell Australia and New Zealand spokesperson, Paul McKeon, was quick to dispel the rumour, bringing the original source (another rival PC manufacturer) into question. "I'd suggest you take that speculation with a grain of salt given the origin stated in the blog - you can never be sure what the motivation is," McKeon commented.

"Dell's XPS range already offers better performance and better value than Alienware's machines, and in the XPS mobile concept you've seen the potential of one of the cool new things Dell could do this year," he added.

The rumour has been given a little extra weight, an unnamed source at "a high-end vendor" telling CNET.com senior associate editor that "the deal has been done" and adding that he had received an influx of resumes from Alienware employees.

Whilst Alienware has not confirmed the take-over bid, the company's statement follows a standard 'no comment' line, and an outright denial of the suggestion has not yet been issued.

Alienware's statement reads: "At this time, Alienware will not comment on any speculative stories or rumors concerning Dell and Alienware's association. While we do believe that news stories like this are ultimately a strong positive reinforcement of the Alienware brand and the company's success, we will not comment on speculation or potential future events."
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=15375

What they say could go either way though.

Mar 21, 2005
www.ps3portal.com
noooooooo!!!! thats all i can say. i mean ive always wanted alienware its the best there is to buy, im happy with HP though, i just plain dont like dell they are more for the people who can afford comps for games and schools, just my opinion dont get mad, o well. still i can stick with HP for ever well runned comps.

Nighthawk

Superior Member
Dec 2, 2005
I don't know what to think about this. So I won't think about it.

Oh wait no I will. I have never owned either a Dell or an Alienware, so I don't have much to add to the conversation, so I'll just build on what's here.

Alienware = Gaming.

Dell = That big computer what has several graphics cards (the one with the fire paint job; I forget the name)

Alienware + Several Graphics Cards = Hoo boy.

And using simple equations, we reveal how a junction like that should go. If this plan goes ahead and Dell and Alienware do merge, Dell should concentrate on what it's good at, home business computers. Alienware could use Dell's gaming ideas, create them with top wuality components, and we have one hell of a gaming computer.

On the bad side of things, Dell would boost the prices of the computers that the Alienware side of things develop. I mean, you know Dell.

Long live Hewlett Packard.

Alienware's statement reads: "At this time, Alienware will not comment on any speculative stories or rumors concerning Dell and Alienware's association. While we do believe that news stories like this are ultimately a strong positive reinforcement of the Alienware brand and the company's success, we will not comment on speculation or potential future events."
Whenever big companies say that, you know something's going on. Come on, a simple 'yes' or 'no' will do.

PS Gamer

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2005
www.ps3land.com
Fallout Boy said:
Redsoxfan24 said:

Not true, if your looking to custom build a mid-high range computer...it usually costs a lot less, but companies like dell jack up the price. For instance, I can build a Quad-SLI system for about 2,000$ cheaper then what Dells price is supposed to be.