Designated Survivor

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[video=youtube;N_f1v0Nx5Sw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_f1v0Nx5Sw[/video]

Emmy and Golden Globe-winning actor Kiefer Sutherland (“24”) returns to primetime in a conspiracy thriller as Tom Kirkman, a lower-level cabinet member who unexpectedly becomes president after a devastating attack on Washington. He will struggle to prevent the country and his own family from falling into chaos, as he is thrust into one of the most difficult presidencies in history.
I've been seeing trailers for this show recently and I'm personally excited to see it premiere on the 21st.

Last edited:

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
Poor guy can't get a role far off from what he was in the show 24. Just like Denzel Washington always being some kind of law enforcement or person of power in 90% of the roles he takes. :lol:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Chewbacca, post: 6520890]Poor guy can't get a role far off from what he was in the show 24. Just like Denzel Washington always being some kind of law enforcement or person of power in 90% of the roles he takes. :lol:[/QUOTE]
He played a different role in Touch.

Anyways, is anyone else interested in Designated Survivor?

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6521278]The pilot episode was so good! Did anyone else watch it last night?[/QUOTE]
Wasn't even aware of this show. Big Kiefer Sutherland fan, so I'll check it out.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Episode 2 ended with a survivor of the Capitol bombing being found. Can't wait for next week's episode.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6520977]He played a different role in Touch.

Anyways, is anyone else interested in Designated Survivor?[/QUOTE]

I haven't watched the new show yet but as for Touch, it was cancelled after 2 seasons so that explains who liked that... :p

24 was so good for the first 5 seasons and then the writing started going downhill IMO. I didn't care much for the last 3 seasons.

I like Kiefer from his old movies: The Lost Boys, Stand By Me, Dark City, A Time to Kill, Phone Booth, Flatliners, A Few Good Men, The Three Musketeers, The Vanishing, Taking Lives, Young Guns 1 and 2, etc..

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Chewbacca, post: 6521677]I haven't watched the new show yet but as for Touch, it was cancelled after 2 seasons so that explains who liked that... :p

24 was so good for the first 5 seasons and then the writing started going downhill IMO. I didn't care much for the last 3 seasons.

I like Kiefer from his old movies: The Lost Boys, Stand By Me, Dark City, A Time to Kill, Phone Booth, Flatliners, A Few Good Men, The Three Musketeers, The Vanishing, Taking Lives, Young Guns 1 and 2, etc..[/QUOTE]
Well, I've never actually seen Touch but from what I've read about it, the show seemed to fail because of its complex writing, not because of Kiefer Sutherland's performance which was praised.

I've never seen any of his old movies either. Maybe he plays a different role in some of them, maybe he doesn't, but it's not a big deal to me. When it comes to most movies and television shows, I'm interested in the premise and its potential for an entertaining story first and foremost.

That said, I'm really enjoying Designated Survivor. The only character that I don't care for is Tom Kirkman's son, Leo, who seems predictable and uninteresting. On the other hand, I like Maggie Q's character, Hannah, who is investigating the Capitol bombing with her own alternative theory.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Good to see they didn't waste too much time on Leo's drug dealing sub-plot. Tom Kirkman supposedly being fired on the day of the bombing doesn't really seem to matter to me, given the fact that he was nonetheless sworn into his new role as President. The revelation that the sole-surviving congressman, played by Ashley Zukerman, disappeared from his seat seconds before the attack is interesting given his recent two-year absent relationship with his father.

Not a great episode but decent enough, in my opinion. Hopefully things start to pick up soon.

Last edited:

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Saw this on Netfix but Didn't pay much attention toi. Might give it a try now.

[QUOTE="Chewbacca, post: 6520890]Poor guy can't get a role far off from what he was in the show 24. Just like Denzel Washington always being some kind of law enforcement or person of power in 90% of the roles he takes. :lol:[/QUOTE]

He played a professor in that Lars Von Trier movie, the one which Kirdten Dunst got her baps out.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
FYI, new episode airs tomorrow. Then it's another two weeks until the next episode.

Last edited:

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6522767]FYI, new episode airs tomorrow. Then it's another two weeks until the next episode.[/QUOTE]

They do this so we have to keep subscribing for another month.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Good episode last night. Just ignoring the "Tom Kirkman is not Leo's biological father" subplot because everything else about Designated Survivor has been entertaining so far. MacLeish (Ashley Zukerman) seems to be the antagonist right now.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I watch the episodes when they air on ABC; Wednesday at 9PM Central Time. It's probably made available the next day on Netflix.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
This show is getting really good. Hopefully the ratings will start to improve.

Unfortunately, we have to wait another two weeks for the next episode.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Mike, the black Secret Service agent, is one of my favorite characters of the show. His dialogue to Leo about biology not determining who his father really is was a nice moment.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6524191]Mike, the black Secret Service agent, is one of my favorite characters of the show. His dialogue to Leo about biology not determining who his father really is was a nice moment.[/QUOTE]
There was some good father/son dialogue in this. Still don't know if I like this show or not, but I keep watching it for some reason. I just like Kiefer Sutherland I guess. And Maggie Q is easy on the eyes.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I do feel like the writers are getting sidetracked sometimes with the number of characters and relationships to keep track of. But I still want to give the show a chance. It got off to a great start. I expect the season finale, if not more recent upcoming episodes, will be great too.

Fun fact: Kal Penn, who plays Seth, the White House Press Secretary, advises the show's writers on what it's like to be in the White House and how certain situations would play out.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I thought the winter finale was really good. Hannah Wells' scenes, as usual, were entertaining to watch. I really hope she didn't end up getting killed at the end. You could see security detail at the event draw their weapons as she fired at the window of the assassin.

MacLeish's wife being in on the conspiracy was a surprising reveal. I liked the way she described America as an empire because of how unsettling it made the scene.

My guess for who was shot at the end would be Kirkman's wife. I don't know if she will necessarily die but it would be interesting to see how Kirkman and his kids cope.

The show resumes airing on March 8.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Okay, so I didn't catch this detail the first time I watched the preview for the next episode but Hannah is shown being taken away in handcuffs. Not sure why I thought security would kill her when she already survived a car crash, choking, bloody wound and shootout all in one episode.