Destiny Beta is down until the 23rd

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
FYI

http://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/66513567/0/0/1

Guardians, you have one day to enjoy the Destiny Beta on your PlayStation. Early Monday morning (Pacific Time), we'll shut down services for a planned maintenance window that will help us prepare for the main event. On July 23rd, every player with a Beta code joins the party on every platform.

Here is your Beta schedule for the remaining days:

(all times are Pacific - US)

Sunday, July 20th: Iron Banner at 2PM and 7PM

Monday, July 21st: Closed for Maintenance

Tuesday, July 22nd: Closed for Maintenance

Wednesday, July 23rd: Destiny Beta begins on Xbox, and resumes on PlayStation

Saturday, July 26th: Special rewards and surprises at 2PM

Stay tuned for updates and additional news on limited time engagements like Iron Banner competition. Phase Two of the Destiny Beta will have moments you won't want to miss.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="Libra-75, post: 6362294]Right now I've got Destiny abstinence. ;) Can't wait until it comes back up again.[/QUOTE]

Strangely, neither can I lol

Nov 14, 2013
California
Pretty lame, we lose two days because of the Xbox beta launch on the 23rd? Why would the servers need to go down at all for PS players? It's not like there is any connection between the PS/Xbox platforms. Leaderboards or otherwise.

Unless they are unlocking more levels, content, etc and stuff like that, this two day maintenance is suspicious as heck. I just hope our levels/experience aren't erased.

Also the game cannot even be played AT ALL without an internet connection. This is extremely unsettling for a game that isn't a online multiplayer-only game and still has SP elements. Bungie is fulfilling MS's dream of a forced online DRM nightmare, wonder how that happened? Seeing as how this game has been in development for a half decade or longer, I can make a good guess. They say they are preparing for the "main event" with this two-day downtime. What are PS gamers, chopped liver?

I have a feeling MS is behind the scenes pulling the strings with Bungie. There is just too many suspicious things happening to think something between MS and Bungie isn't going on.

Also mark my words, I bet the XB1 version of Destiny will look almost 1 for 1 identical to the PS4 version of Destiny, revealing parity. I knew when I first started the game that it was quite sub-par visually for a PS4 game (even for a third-party multiplat), and immediately suspected XB1 parity. Don't think this is a cross-gen thing, as AC:BF looks absolutely amazing on the PS4 (one of the best looking next-gen games yet) and it was on 6 different platforms. Strangely enough Watch Dogs, made by the same developer, suffered immensely in the graphics department despite being developed on as many platforms as AC:BF... Coincidence? I think not. MS is doing the rounds and trying to eliminate one of the biggest advantages the PS4 has, the hardware.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6362321]Thats actually kinda bullshit, whats the point of letting us in early only to reduce my time with it![/QUOTE]

True, they should really increase the time limit to make up for the maintenance!

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="ITPython, post: 6362327]Pretty lame, we lose two days because of the Xbox beta launch on the 23rd? Why would the servers need to go down at all for PS players? It's not like there is any connection between the PS/Xbox platforms. Leaderboards or otherwise.

Unless they are unlocking more levels, content, etc and stuff like that...[/QUOTE]

I do believe that's the case, more content unlocked, at least the option to lvl up to lvl 20, that i know for sure. Otherwise, no idea, you may be right.

[QUOTE="ITPython, post: 6362327]
Also mark my words, I bet the XB1 version of Destiny will look almost 1 for 1 identical to the PS4 version of Destiny, revealing parity. I knew when I first started the game that it was quite sub-par visually for a PS4 game [/QUOTE]

Agreed with you there, i didn't think it was fantastic on my PS4, Good but not great.

Wrath

Master Guru
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
[QUOTE="daLa, post: 6362369]Agreed, two days is too much and they should be making up for it by adding two additional days.[/QUOTE]

This was planned from the very beginning, way before the beta even launched.

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
The thing that ticks me off is that they didn't put this in the News Feed (well I guess technically they did back on July 7th - I didn't read that far back), which I've been reading the latest posts. Instead DeeJ tossed it in an obscure forum post and the way their forum is run, the sh!t just creeps off the screen. If I had know this, I would have spent more time on Sunday playing.

If it was more transparent, I don't think near as many people would have wasted time leaving their PS4's idle waiting to get onto the servers. The queue was well over 100K. And the generic pop up said to check bungie.net for maintenance schedule. I couldn't find any maintenance schedule, ended up finding DeeJ's thread via google.

Last edited:

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="faaeng, post: 6362401]It was known since before the beta went live. They posted this awhile back.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

That answers that then, case closed!

Kawaiius

Apprentice
Jan 11, 2007
Lol dunno why you guys are complaining, this was announced/planned way before the Beta was launch..would you rather not have a beta at all and just wait until Sep 9 for the game.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
Exactly - this was known from the outset.

They've completed the first round of testing and now that all platforms will be on the Beta they are releasing new content, events and some PERMANENT collectibles. Here's a copy of a tweet from bungie no too long ago

View attachment 6118

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
[QUOTE="TidalPhoenix, post: 6362451]Exactly - this was known from the outset.

They've completed the first round of testing and now that all platforms will be on the Beta they are releasing new content, events and some PERMANENT collectibles. Here's a copy of a tweet from bungie no too long ago

View attachment 6118 [/QUOTE]

Yes, it's apparent that it was planned from the beginning. I guess my issue is I had to actually dig to find that on July 7th they posted a timeline, w/ a title 'The Destiny Beta'. Then the message from the server that it was down for maintenance and to go look at bungie.net for the schedule.

Well, I expected to find a page with schedule, nope, I expected, a stick post, nope, I expected something, but not digging through two week old News post with a title that wasn't anything about schedule wasn't one of them.

A News post reminding that it's going down for Maintenance would have been nice.

I suspect there were many of us who had never visited bungie.net until getting Beta codes last week.

And it's quite apparent that many of us here did not actually know it was planned to go down and assumed that it was just a temporary thing.

Personally, I'm not complaining that it's down, I'm complaining about the poor communication to the Beta testers.

daLa

Veteran
May 22, 2006
www.myspace.com
I get it, but still seems like way too much time for downtime maintenance. Not even retail games get that much downtime. But guess we'll have to make the best of the few days left.