Destruction Derby HD

Lozt_again

Master Poster
May 9, 2006
soundcloud.com
SO, last night I decided to buy Destruction Derby for the PSP of the PSN.

Boy did it bring back a lot of memories. I forgot how off the bat, balls out
fun. Sure the cars respond like Daytona Rally arcade machine racers but
the game is just fun. Simple as that.

The more I was playing it however I began to notice it's HD PS3 era potential.

For a start, better physics, bigger tacks, better visuals and, of course, the
ideal game to take advantage of playing your own music.

Where this game would really shine though, is online. Keep it simple, keep
it sweet. You could play single race stock car style, last man driving, tag,
the list could go on and we haven't touched the bowls yet. Deathmatch in a
car anyone?

For me, this game screams out for a HD PSN rendition. What do you guys
think? I'm definitel not satisfied with Full auto and Burnout as replacements
either.

C.Birch

Superior Member
Jun 2, 2006
www.yourpshome.net
I have been wanting a remake of this game along with Road Rash for ages now. No the Destruction Derby side of things its got to be a more sim aimed game like the first one then a arcade aim like some of the follow up games.

Lozt_again

Master Poster
May 9, 2006
soundcloud.com
The spirit of it has to remain the same. The tacks used on the first could
easily be the first tracks on the game. I mean, tracks that meet in the
middle like a figure of 8. The game has more online potential than all the
other racing games out there in my eyes.

They'd definitely have to keep it as close to the first two as possible
though.

St0

Superior Member
May 9, 2007
I think Destruction Derby 2 would make a better remake, add a few more tracks and bowls would be awesome 8)

Aug 11, 2006
i remember the first incarnation of dd being one of my favourite games on the ps1, i'd love an hd remake, bring back memories of having to lug my ps1, tv and link up cable round my mates for a sesh, wasnt too bothered about subsequent versions of the game, but as soon as i get my broken ps3 replaced im definately gonna download this.

RobJackson85

PHAT boy gone slim
Mar 25, 2007
England
definately worth a remake, the 2 originals were great, only problem is though you can tell how much the games have improved!

we should start a petition for a hd remake!

jj03

Elite Guru
Apr 7, 2007
[QUOTE="Lozt_again, post: 0]SO, last night I decided to buy Destruction Derby for the PSP of the PSN.

Boy did it bring back a lot of memories. I forgot how off the bat, balls out
fun. Sure the cars respond like Daytona Rally arcade machine racers but
the game is just fun. Simple as that.

The more I was playing it however I began to notice it's HD PS3 era potential.

For a start, better physics, bigger tacks, better visuals and, of course, the
ideal game to take advantage of playing your own music.

Where this game would really shine though, is online. Keep it simple, keep
it sweet. You could play single race stock car style, last man driving, tag,
the list could go on and we haven't touched the bowls yet. Deathmatch in a
car anyone?

For me, this game screams out for a HD PSN rendition. What do you guys
think? I'm definitel not satisfied with Full auto and Burnout as replacements
either.[/quote]

I don't think a graphical makeover would cast destruction derby as a "next gen" game really..i mean, yeah, there would be the obvious online options, but the game was never that good to begin with...next gen is suppose to mean just that..not remake city.

Grinchy

Christmas Thief
Feb 9, 2007
A little cave outside of Whooville
I think it would make a pretty cool PSN game. Not to just re-do the original but to come up with some fresh ideas too. Just demolishing things with real physics is always fun in games, but I don't think it would be able to warrant a full-price blu-ray release.

$10 PSN game and I'm there.

C.Birch

Superior Member
Jun 2, 2006
www.yourpshome.net
[QUOTE="jj03, post: 0]I don't think a graphical makeover would cast destruction derby as a "next gen" game really..i mean, yeah, there would be the obvious online options, but the game was never that good to begin with...next gen is suppose to mean just that..not remake city.[/QUOTE]

The game was good and if i recall right got rave reviews not just by game press but the everyday press and tv media and got used as a show case for 3D games in some cases also back in the day when that was new.

EddieDZ

Super Elite
Jan 28, 2006
Moncton
i wish they would continue destruction derby.. the first one was always(and yes i have it for my PSP/PS3) but Destruction Derby 2 was the killer one!!!.. sadly after that it went down hill.. Destruction derby areana or something likethat really suck and wasnt developed bythe same people as the original series. if they made a remake of Destruction Derby it would be very very difficult cause it wouldhave to compete again titles like Burnout which is pretty much the king of arcade/wreckage racing

Lozt_again

Master Poster
May 9, 2006
soundcloud.com
[QUOTE="jj03, post: 0]I don't think a graphical makeover would cast destruction derby as a "next gen" game really..i mean, yeah, there would be the obvious online options, but the game was never that good to begin with...next gen is suppose to mean just that..not remake city.[/QUOTE]

The thing is, it's got just the right makings for a very good online game. Not
just good, but very good. Get the Warhawk style split screen online going to.

[QUOTE="Grinchy, post: 0]I think it would make a pretty cool PSN game. Not to just re-do the original but to come up with some fresh ideas too. Just demolishing things with real physics is always fun in games, but I don't think it would be able to warrant a full-price blu-ray release.

$10 PSN game and I'm there.[/QUOTE]

I mean, they could really go to town on the physics. You could have 3 settings
like, realistic mode, crash course mode and forgiving mode. Or keep it simple,
2. Ultra realism and forgiving mode. It'd be timeless. Championships would be
fast no brainers and Deathbowls insane. Couple this all with headsets,
customisations and something like a track editor as a later addition, integration
with home and your away.

M

murphANDderl

[QUOTE="Korsa, post: 0]they should bring back DD2 much better game that was :)[/quote]

Agree with Korsa, i do... yoda style

Sep 3, 2007
Awesome idea! Though if it takes anywhere near as long as Wipeout HD, you could be playing it with Alzheimers and then it's a whole new ball game.

joeold

Elite Member
May 16, 2007
Roseville, Ca
its really funny because i've been thinking this for the last two weeks. it would be really awsome to see: DiRT style menu options, warhawk style multiplayer integration, resistance style lobby, little big planet style physics, and COD4 awards system. bigger maps or even more intricate, elaborate layouts.
now as far as the pricing goes, if you want a full multiplayer only game then yeah do a psn download and make $29.99 (max). if you want a story line behind it then yeah go for the disc and if you do make a BD version then at least add some shwaq. (maybe a little toy car?)

i do agree with an earlier post that full auto and burnout just are not the same.

Jan 9, 2007
gotta say i agree and could def. see this being redone for this generation .... everytime i go into the store i debate buying this gme myself ... im really looking to play it on my PSP and was worried it wouldnt translate well to its controls ....