Developers to avoid going into next-gen?

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Update:

Bioware's Anthem sucks too. It's said to be extremely mediocre, worse than Destiny. Way to go, EA.

Original post:

Fallout 76, arguably taking the crown from No Man's Sky as most disappointing current-gen title in regards to all of the promises that were poorly executed, prompts me to ask if Bethesda is a developer to avoid going into next-gen? To release a bad game with boring gameplay and a mountain of bugs, and charging $5 to give your player character facial hair, another $20 to change the color of your armor (how are developers STILL oblivious to the negative reception of micro-transactions?), this is the experience acclaimed game director Todd Howard wants people to have? The same guy who said developers should ignore demographics and follow their passions? What a trainwreck of a game and its release.

But then I'm also a person who believes in second chances so maybe it's a little harsh to ask if people should suddenly avoid Bethesda games. On the other hand, if you're joking about your games being renowned for their bugs at E3 only to release the mess that was Fallout 76, maybe you should have known better and shouldn't be surprised if less people buy your games?

What do you think?

Last edited:

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
Bethesda is definitely on my list. I hope people boycot their next titles until they design a new engine

Add Bungie into the mix. They're just full of shit with all their season passes. I hope Destiny 3 backfires to the point that Activision gives up on the series.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
how can they screw a series that has so much fanbase? They did it!!! It is what happens when giant companies give all the seats on upper floors to guys from faculty of management. Ea screwed alot with tons of investment now this, this comanies have billions, they don't have small teams, don't have problems with building a team.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
I don't feel like this takes the spot from No Man's Sky. The player base should have been more cautious approaching this new fallout given how buggy Fallout 4 was for a good number of people.

Syphon_Filter

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
I agree with you. I did that long time ago and stopped supporting most of these companies as their trash games are demos and not games. I got the new game called Just Cause 4 and started playing it on November 30. Oh my God! The trash Just Cause 4 looks like a PS2 game with it's terrible graphics, fuzzy, terrible sound, and characters moves. I played the game on my Xbox One X and it's shame or disgrace to touch that garbage and see it on beautiful Samsung 4K TV. Even with the latest trash called Darksiders 3 and didn't want to post about them at PSU thought people will get mad at me. I have been getting 10,000 emails from EA, Actisvion, Bethesda , WB, and etc to buy their trash and just delete the messages. No more paying for these garbage games more than 15 dollars or even less.

Last edited:

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Yup I fear whats happening with the game industry with these companies trying to suck every dollar out of you as possible when you get better experiences from older games minus the better graphics.

I try to give my money to companies that deserve it who give you good content keep those ones alive and hope there's a chance they don't end up like most of these AAA companies such as EA.

Soul Calibur VI I was glad to get it on sale it needs so much more options for equipment plus hairstyles the older games has more equipment options and the ones that are coming are all DLC. Plus no unlockable equipment like the other Soul Caliburs.
They say that they don't get much budget for the game but enough for DLC and Season Pass.

Got Sen No Kiseki IV and put it nearly 100 hours as well as not much DLC that has a effect on the experience same with Persona 5.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
Soul Calibur VI I was glad to get it on sale it needs so much more options for equipment plus hairstyles the older games has more equipment options and the ones that are coming are all DLC. Plus no unlockable equipment like the other Soul Caliburs.
They say that they don't get much budget for the game but enough for DLC and Season Pass.
I've read about the customization not being as good as it was in the past. It's been a very long time since I played Soul Calibur III, so I don't remember. Far as the DLC and season pass it probably would have never been a thing if the game didn't do decent sales wise. Also, a part of me does believe the budget reason given the presentation of the story. Granted it's told with a similar presentation to SCII, but still....

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
I've read about the customization not being as good as it was in the past. It's been a very long time since I played Soul Calibur III, so I don't remember. Far as the DLC and season pass it probably would have never been a thing if the game didn't do decent sales wise. Also, a part of me does believe the budget reason given the presentation of the story. Granted it's told with a similar presentation to SCII, but still....
Soul Calibur VI did a lot of good things with gameplay balances and I enjoyed the way they represented the story side of things like sort of like SNK/Blazblue games in that regard they did well with that plus Geralt is a awesome guest character he fits well in the Soul Calibur world. Good to see the old characters back after Soul Calibur V.

They tried to do something similar to SCIII Chronicles Of The Sword which blows SCVI mode out of the park. The amount of fighting styles on Soul Calibur III was insane they downgraded it with Soul Calibur IV onwards.

The things there isn't a huge amount of new equipment at all far less than predecessors lot of recycled style which you can understand with lot of games they'll sell mostly old stuff with DLC and even with all of Season Pass stuff done the equipment won't be much as Soul Calibur V. Video game industy is just got greedier.

Personally beside that im happy 2B is a guest character.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I think with games like Fallout 76 and Battlefield V, they are considered the new AAA that is really just early access. There is too much of a focus on games as a service, trying to extend the lifespan of a game by stripping it of its features. But that only really works if the game is free-to-play. Other than, I think, Warframe which I know @Fijiandoce says nice things about, most of these AAA games with an online mode are doing it wrong, consistently too.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
Soul Calibur VI did a lot of good things with gameplay balances and I enjoyed the way they represented the story side of things like sort of like SNK/Blazblue games in that regard they did well with that plus Geralt is a awesome guest character he fits well in the Soul Calibur world. Good to see the old characters back after Soul Calibur V.

They tried to do something similar to SCIII Chronicles Of The Sword which blows SCVI mode out of the park. The amount of fighting styles on Soul Calibur III was insane they downgraded it with Soul Calibur IV onwards.

The things there isn't a huge amount of new equipment at all far less than predecessors lot of recycled style which you can understand with lot of games they'll sell mostly old stuff with DLC and even with all of Season Pass stuff done the equipment won't be much as Soul Calibur V. Video game industy is just got greedier.

Personally beside that im happy 2B is a guest character.
Tekken has a similar problem as well when it comes to the customize system. It was probably the best in Tekken 6, and has been getting downgraded since. Honestly, I don't see why they couldn't just recode all those assets and just slowly build onto it over time so if you had a customize from a prior game you really loved, you could simply use it again in the new installment. Also far as balance stuff for SCVI, every character has something pretty OP about them imo, so I think it works out fairly well. Indeed a part of it is the video game industry becoming more greedy, but I don't want to paint a blanket statement over everybody. Games just take far longer to produce now and these days.

I think with games like Fallout 76 and Battlefield V, they are considered the new AAA that is really just early access. There is too much of a focus on games as a service, trying to extend the lifespan of a game by stripping it of its features. But that only really works if the game is free-to-play. Other than, I think, Warframe which I know @Fijiandoce says nice things about, most of these AAA games with an online mode are doing it wrong, consistently too.
Games can work perfectly fine as a service, but what I feel some companies fail to understand that in order to have a healthy service more times than not you have to put out a solid product if you're going to charge people for it.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Tekken has a similar problem as well when it comes to the customize system. It was probably the best in Tekken 6, and has been getting downgraded since. Honestly, I don't see why they couldn't just recode all those assets and just slowly build onto it over time so if you had a customize from a prior game you really loved, you could simply use it again in the new installment. Also far as balance stuff for SCVI, every character has something pretty OP about them imo, so I think it works out fairly well. Indeed a part of it is the video game industry becoming more greedy, but I don't want to paint a blanket statement over everybody. Games just take far longer to produce now and these days.

Games can work perfectly fine as a service, but what I feel some companies fail to understand that in order to have a healthy service more times than not you have to put out a solid product if you're going to charge people for it.
That's pretty much exactly the case absolutely I also don't understand why they don't recode the assets and just keep working more from there. With Tekken 6 system then to Tekken Tag 2 and Tekken 7 the customization on that regardhas just got less and less.

I remember Tekken Tag 2 had free updates for new fighters I see the way it's gone it's not going to happen again.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Sadly, Bioware may be another developer to avoid, seeing as Anthem is said to be extremely mediocre, worse than Destiny.

Short version: Crap story, missions, customization, loot, recycled bosses and this was in development for six years.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Sadly, Bioware may be another developer to avoid, seeing as Anthem is said to be extremely mediocre, worse than Destiny.

Short version: Crap story, missions, customization, loot, recycled bosses and this was in development for six years.
First of all, I wouldn't listen to anything Angry Joe says, he's a complete tool imo.

If we are going to compare Anthem to Destiny 1 & 2 we have to compare them in which state they where when they released. Both Destiny 1 & 2 where even worse than Anthem when they released, with bugs, connection problems, very weak story and lack of content. The story + lore, NPC's, customization, over all gameplay (gunplay is better in Destiny) is way better than Destiny, imo. I'm not saying that all these things are perfect in Anthem, there are alot of things that needs to be taken care of/fixed. But the game is still really fun to play and Bioware is way better/faster at pushing out patches than Bungie ever where. Anthem is far from perfect in its current state, but it's not complete trash either, it has potential to be really good imo.

billm0066

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2006
Paid $60 for Anthem and the game is truly awful. I will NEVER buy another EA game ever again. Almost bought some in the last couple of years and thankfully held off. This game looked so promising and it's so bad it's not even funny. I dont care how an EA game looks, I will not give a single penny to that company.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I want another Mass Effect before that happens.
I dunno. After Andromeda, the 'B' team was essentially thrown under the bus as being the reason for its mediocre-ness. But never let it be forgotten that the 'A' team were the ones who worked on Inquisition. And Inquisition, by Bioware's past standard, was mediocrity at its finest. Dry, bland, design by committee characters who literally had to spell out their characterisation. I remember when Sten said sweet fuck all for 80 hours, and he seems like a work of art compared to most of what Inquisition brought :ROFLMAO:

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
First of all, I wouldn't listen to anything Angry Joe says, he's a complete tool imo.
I agree to an extent. I remember he said Sleeping Dogs was a 6/10 game and he kept comparing it to Grand Theft Auto. In that regard, I feel he doesn't so much judge a game on its own merits as he does compare them to better games that came before.

On the other hand, Anthem is published by EA. We know what they're like. The very same EA behind Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect Andromeda, Battlefield V. The very same EA that cancelled Visceral's Star Wars and then brought it back as an entirely different project only to cancel it again. Need for Speed? More like Need for Greed.

If we are going to compare Anthem to Destiny 1 & 2 we have to compare them in which state they where when they released. Both Destiny 1 & 2 where even worse than Anthem when they released, with bugs, connection problems, very weak story and lack of content. The story + lore, NPC's, customization, over all gameplay (gunplay is better in Destiny) is way better than Destiny, imo. I'm not saying that all these things are perfect in Anthem, there are alot of things that needs to be taken care of/fixed. But the game is still really fun to play and Bioware is way better/faster at pushing out patches than Bungie ever where. Anthem is far from perfect in its current state, but it's not complete trash either, it has potential to be really good imo.
Personally, I think a 4/10 from Joe is more like a 5/10 or 6/10 to most people. I'm a little confused when you say the game is really fun to play but that there are a lot of things that need to be fixed (overall gameplay, content, story etc). It sounds like all or most of the game is bad which is inexcusable when you're charging full price.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
I thought Dragon Age Inquistion was received well. I guess I was just under a rock during that time. With that being said that's the last Bioware game that I've purchased.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
On the other hand, Anthem is published by EA. We know what they're like. The very same EA behind Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect Andromeda, Battlefield V. The very same EA that cancelled Visceral's Star Wars and then brought it back as an entirely different project only to cancel it again. Need for Speed? More like Need for Greed.

Personally, I think a 4/10 from Joe is more like a 5/10 or 6/10 to most people. I'm a little confused when you say the game is really fun to play but that there are a lot of things that need to be fixed (overall gameplay, content, story etc). It sounds like all or most of the game is bad which is inexcusable when you're charging full price.
Well, I might not be as turned off by the fact that EA is the publisher as you seem to be. Yes, I fully agree that EA has done some really bad things lately. They are definitely not my favorite publisher. But there are still a few good games made by studios they own, imo.

I think you got it all a little bit mixed up there . When I mentioned over all gameplay, story etc I said that those are the better parts of the game at the moment, even if there is room for improvement. When it comes to the story you pretty much have to talk to the NPC's and read the lore (in game) to get the full experience, just like the Mass Effect games, imo. It's very much a Bioware game in that way. The biggest problems with the game right now is that it has a few bugs that needs to be taken care of. Other than that there are quality of life improvements and more/new content, that will come down the road. At the moment this game is maybe a 7/10 or something like that for me, but I see the potential for it to be better down the road.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
I really liked Skate and the SSX reboot was pretty decent fun. Totally different company nowadays.
Yeah it was only a matter of time then and they did do the odd good game I used to play soccer games switch between POS and Fifa but I stopped at 11. Dead Space and Mirrors Edge I enjoyed other than that I didn't care about them that much then and couldn't care less about them now.