Developers to avoid going into next-gen?

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
"This is all a learning experience for us, and as we work to make sure the game is improved and perfected, we can't emphasise enough how much we appreciate you staying with us," Hudson wrote. "Especially because the next stage is where things really get exciting.

"As we move through this most difficult period of launching a new game and IP, we are also working on the things that will really show what Anthem is capable of - a series of world events, new story content, and new features, that all build towards the Cataclysm later this spring."
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-03-19-bioware-very-disappointed-in-anthem-launch-issues

They talk like they aren't a company that's been around for 24 years. What about the beta they released in January wasn't also a learning experience?

"But we understand there is scepticism out there. We hear the criticisms and doubts. But we'll keep going anyway, working hard every day on Anthem - an ever-changing world, constantly improving and growing, and supported well into the future by our team of passionate developers."
Six years of development that resulted in disappointment and they want to talk about working hard every day with a team of passionate developers.

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I think people would have been more forgiving if Anthem was released as a free-2-play, and not a $60 full launch title.

I mean, dude basically says himself that they planned to not have things in the game that would have made it the "actual" experience...

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I think people would have been more forgiving if Anthem was released as a free-2-play, and not a $60 full launch title.
It begs the question, why commit to day one purchases if the game is just going to be a better experience at a later date? Show some restraint and save your hard-earned money in the process -- don't be in a rush for a mediocre experience.

I mean, dude basically says himself that they planned to not have things in the game that would have made it the "actual" experience...
Remember what he said when he left EA back in 2014:

"Development for [Mass Effect Andromeda] is well underway, with stunning assets and playable builds that prove the team is ready to deliver the best Mass Effect experience to date. And the Dragon Age: Inquisition team is putting the final touches on a truly ambitious title with some of the most beautiful visuals I’ve seen in a game."

Those games turned out great, didn't they?

Last edited:

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
It begs the question, why commit to day one purchases if the game is just going to be a better experience at a later date? Show some restraint and save your hard-earned money in the process -- don't be in a rush for a mediocre experience.
I think some developers have seen the success of running games as more of an on-going service to extend the shelf life. While this is true, I think what some tend to neglect going with this approach is putting out a base product that is good enough for said model to work on . I can't completely fault people who bought the original Destiny given the fact that Bungie at that time had a lot of clout in the gaming industry. Anthem though....I mean there's no excuse. It's pretty common knowledge at this point how EA is. Apex Legends would have had the same negative feedback if the devs had let EA completely have their way.