DF: Orbis unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation

Mar 11, 2006
This:
rumored leaks from yesterday and he said the only thing they really got right was the RAM
for the APU
Cell runs the show(OS, security, IO, etc.) and also acts as a satellite/accelerator processor
a Super Companion Chip is: Cell's peripheral LSI, which houses audo and image interfaces supporting high-speed data transfer capability. The chip also supports a group of interfaces for various systems (video, audio input/output, digital AV interface, IEEE1394, digital tuner interface) and a group of interfaces that make it easier to connect standard input/output devices (standard bus interface, high speed network interface and storage device interface.) It's made by Toshiba.
Like I said, most plausible, not that it was complete or totally correct. The APU sounds like it will be mainly a physics accelerator, just as a lower end PC graphics card in a 2nd PCI-e slot can be used as a physics accelerator. The guy does refer to the Cell as if it were Cell Classic and that's just not going to happen. Seriously, the Cell was clocked at 3.2GHz due to the fab technology at the time. That fab technology has improved over 10 times since then and a regular Cell would easily clock 5GHz with air cooling. It will be a Cell, but Cell Evolved. The Super Companion Chip already exists. It is the two stacked Cells that Toshiba is using in their TV sets. So, the configuration so far is a consolized Power7 "Cell" CPU, some undetermined APU, and the SCC. That leaves the GPU which is going to be an Nvidia Maxwell.

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
I don't think nvidia has anything to do with these next consoles. Even if all these reports are made up, then why do each of them name only AMD GPUs? (and very specific at that)

There was a AMD presentation released with their 8000M series launch that mentioned consoles

Zswordsman

Dedicated Member
May 1, 2007
Tacoma
i'm already tired of these fanboy made rumors, even the ones that make the ps4 sound like a beast. Just announce the damn thing and give us details on the specs so all these rumors can stop.

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
Would Cell being strapped on as the "secret source" enable BC with all Playstations?
If not I don't wanna know

Sent via Codec

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="TGO, post: 5989940]Would Cell being strapped on as the "secret source" enable BC with all Playstations?
If not I don't wanna know

Sent via Codec[/QUOTE]

I would say its why this particular rumour got made up.
So we will have to say yea to that in this particular imaginary console.

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 5989895]All of this, and every rumor is ridiculous and made up.
No one, has any info and people are just guessing.
I'm with Ghost, the dam things are powered by Hamsters until otherwise proven.
[/QUOTE]
Except the rumours that stated the new Xbox was twice as powerful as PS4 and anything pro Durango in general.

Those rumours you were all over

So transparent

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Cyn, post: 5990966]Except the rumours that stated the new Xbox was twice as powerful as PS4 and anything pro Durango in general.

Those rumours you were all over

So transparent[/QUOTE]

Go play with your imaginary toys.
I was interested in any rumours until I realised what a ridiculous circus this has become.

Its people like you who a making these rumours up.
Fighting over imaginary toys.
ROFL

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2006
[QUOTE="itachi73378, post: 5989902]I don't think nvidia has anything to do with these next consoles. Even if all these reports are made up, then why do each of them name only AMD GPUs? (and very specific at that)[/QUOTE]

Trizzle, trazzle, trizzle dom. Time to take the wayback machine Sheldon. It is because the first rumors, regarding the Xbox Next, in early 2011 said so. So, the reason it is, is because some nameless said it is. How can you argue with circular illogic like that? These are all from 2011 regarding the "IMMINENT" announcement of the Xbox Next, that towards the end of 2011 was being "predicted" to happen during CES2012 (didn't happen btw and actually ended up with CES asking MS not to give the keynote anymore). I could put up thousands of these posts from that time era but I really don't have that much time to waste:

http://hardocp.com/article/2011/07/07/e3_rumors_on_next_generation_console_hardware/
E3 Rumors on Next Generation Console Hardware
"What looks to be a "done deal" at this point is that AMD will be the GPU choice on all three next generation consoles. Yes, all the big guns in the console world, Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony, are looking very much to be part of Team AMD for GPU."

http://www.lensoftruth.com/rumor-next-xbox-to-feature-hexa-core-cpu-duel-amd-gpu/
Rumor: Next Xbox To Feature Hexa-Core CPU, Duel AMD GPU

http://pikigeek.com/2011/08/22/next-xbox-processors-code-name-leaked/
Next Xbox Processor’s Code Name Leaked

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
[QUOTE="Bligmerk, post: 5991130]Trizzle, trazzle, trizzle dom. Time to take the wayback machine Sheldon. It is because the first rumors, regarding the Xbox Next, in early 2011 said so. So, the reason it is, is because some nameless said it is. How can you argue with circular illogic like that? These are all from 2011 regarding the "IMMINENT" announcement of the Xbox Next, that towards the end of 2011 was being "predicted" to happen during CES2012 (didn't happen btw and actually ended up with CES asking MS not to give the keynote anymore). I could put up thousands of these posts from that time era but I really don't have that much time to waste:
[/QUOTE]

That's just plain illogical. Any proof that all rumours are aiming to copy each other?
Why would anyone copy other false rumours if they can get more hits for reporting new material? Furthermore did you just ignore the AMD slide?

I don't understand why AMD supplying components is so unbelievable for you

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 5991037]Go play with your imaginary toys.
I was interested in any rumours until I realised what a ridiculous circus this has become.

Its people like you who a making these rumours up.
Fighting over imaginary toys.
ROFL[/QUOTE]
I have made like 5 posts in this whole section

But yeah, people like me. haha, wow, you'd think a 40 year old bloke would be a little less childish. You were frothing at the mouth r.e. the rumours that the next box was twice as powerful as the PS4, reading through a week afterwards made for a few good laughs.

Your posts speak for themselves. I expect you'll spend the next 5-7 years putting down the PS4 without even owning one. Probably will never even use one.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Cyn, post: 5991218]I have made like 5 posts in this whole section

But yeah, people like me. haha, wow, you'd think a 40 year old bloke would be a little less childish.
You were frothing at the mouth r.e. the rumours that the next box was twice as powerful as the PS4, reading through a week afterwards made for a few good laughs.

Your posts speak for themselves. I expect you'll spend the next 5-7 years putting down the PS4 without even owning one. Probably will never even use one.[/QUOTE]

My posts do speak for themselves, you just clearly cant read.
And "people like you" refer to someone who be childish enough to point finger at members because they have had enough rumors bouncing around that they have given up on the idea that any of this, is even remotely true. It also points to someone who is desperate for any of this to be true.

If you have read my posts, you know this...

In a PS4 thread..
On paper, GPU wise, if these rumors are true then is will 1.7 vs 2.4, but in an efficiency manner, who knows. Id tend to take 1x1.7 vs 2x 1.2.
OMG did I just say Id prefer the PS4 in that scenario?

Why yes I did.

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
An interesting bit from another interview with Kojima that was conducted when he was in Dubai, from DvLZGame (keep in mind this is a translation).

Kojima was asked if Ground Zeroes will be released for next gen systems. He answered that this was ‘a secret he could not talk about’.

The interviewer continued by saying he expected Microsoft and Sony to announce their new consoles this E3 or sooner, and he expects to see more of Ground Zeroes then, since he believes it will be for those systems. Kojima replied by saying: “We will see about this one day… Maybe sooner than you think.”

Of course Kojima is deliberately being vague here, so how to interpret his comments is hard to say. But it does seem to at least imply the game is going to be available on the next generation systems. At the vey least Kojima is working on next gen consoles with the FOX Engine. All we can do now is wait.
Source: http://metalgearsolid.nl/?p=4607

MGS:GZ is on PS4 it seems, but the Demo was PS3 spec

Sent via Codec

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="TGO, post: 5991264]Source: http://metalgearsolid.nl/?p=4607

MGS:GZ is on PS4 it seems, but the Demo was PS3 spec

Sent via Codec[/QUOTE]

I would imagine ther ea re plenty of games that will be ported, I can think of games like Splinter Cell, etc that wouldn't surprise me if they ended up on next gen systems in some form.

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 5991266]I would imagine ther ea re plenty of games that will be ported, I can think of games like Splinter Cell, etc that wouldn't surprise me if they ended up on next gen systems in some form.[/QUOTE]

Yeah cash-in launch games.
But this sounds like it was suppose to be nextgen but couldn't be announced because MS/Sony

Sent via Codec

Mar 11, 2006
[QUOTE="itachi73378, post: 5991158]That's just plain illogical. Any proof that all rumours are aiming to copy each other?
Why would anyone copy other false rumours if they can get more hits for reporting new material? Furthermore did you just ignore the AMD slide?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is what I said, your question was answered by the reason which is totally illogical. Rumors are NOT TRYING TO COPY EACH OTHER. THEY ARE EACH TRYING TO OUTDO THE PREVIOUS RUMOR. What is being pointed out to you is the BEGINNING RUMOR was in -->2011<-- and if you had read those links, lo and behold, in 2013, they sound almost the same -- except most of it is being attributed to the PS4, not the 720.

That AMD slide is a marketing slide. Of course, they claim to be premiere in gaming. Who in their right mind working there is going to say what AMD is rapidly becoming: a company that sold off its fabrication facilities, that failed at introducing notebook chips and was a no show for tablet and smartphone GPU's, that is rebranding GPU release numbers and not meeting projections in any product line.

There was a time there about 3 years that there was a sudden flurry of "devs" on these forums. The only problem after their first unasked for declaration they were a "dev" was they would post technical mumbo-jumbo. They would be intense for a couple weeks then drop off, then the next one would show up. I can see how this is occurring:

Johnny: Mum, I don't know what I am.
Mum: Why Johnny, you are the smartest boy in the world.
Johnny: Really, mum? What can I be?
Mum: Oh Johnny, you can be anything you want in this life, you are blessed.
Johnny: Yeah! Can I be a dev, mum?
Mum: Johnny, Johnny, of course you can be a dev. You are already a dev and extremely talented.
Johnny: Alright! Time for me to get on that idiot forum and notify those punks I am a dev and have arrived with gospel truth.