Digital Foundry: Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Next-Gen Comparison. Who has the Superior version...

Jun 4, 2007

So, similar to our first Series X vs PS5 platform comparison, we're looking at feature parity - but again, performance is where there is a difference. With Devil May Cry 5, Xbox Series X enjoyed a small lead in most rendering modes, falling short against PS5 in 120Hz gaming. With AC Valhalla, there's only one mode and 60fps is the target. While there are problems on both systems, Xbox Series X obviously fares worse. To put things into context, Valhalla targets 60 frames per second, but when the engine is under heavy load and can't render a new frame within the 16.7ms target, it'll present the new frame when it's good and ready, while your screen is updating. This causes screen tearing. Both systems can have issues here, especially in cutscenes, and sometimes in gameplay. However, the key takeaway is that PlayStation 5 is much closer to the 60fps target more of the time, while Xbox Series X can struggle. In fact, at its worst, we noted PS5 delivering a 15 per cent performance advantage over its Microsoft equivalent in identical scenarios.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...sassins-creed-valhalla-ps5-vs-xbox-series-x-s

:eek:What do you know. The PS5 has the superior version. From Xbox fans bragging about upscaled 4K on PS5 while XSX is native 4k AND 60fps to these humbling results by DF.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2005
I wonder if the more mature tools will be able to cover that difference.Some expected Series x to be around 30% + stronger than PS5,but as of now,its around 15% worse...Its quite a lot to cover.But we will see.

Last edited:

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Well, there we have it. A comparison where they talk about the resolution and graphical settings on the PS5 and SX. This is indeed a surprise. I didn't actually expect the PS5 to perform slightly better. I expected the SX to perform slightly better if they where running at the same resolution and graphical settings.

May 20, 2008
@Sub-stance1 What do you have to say about your post below? This never happened between the pro and 1x.
What do I say? I say the same. The series x is outperforming the ps5. Even at this early stage no games have taken advantage of what both consoles has to offer. PS4 is easier to develop for and their Dev kits are ahead of microsoft's,(mainly because Sony was originally going to release in 2019) the series x is still holding better frameratess and overall game performances are better. Yea, its close now but next year when devs start to utilize more of those features and microsofts kits start to mature, the series x is gonna doing things much easier and with less strain on the hardware.

I wonder if the more mature tools will be able to cover that difference.Some expected Series x to be around 30% + stronger than PS5,but as of now,its around 15% worse...Its quite a lot to cover.But we will see.
According to some devs that is true. Along with the series x being more efficient and not having as much strain on the hardware because of sony's variable clocks. Like i said before microsoft is behind on their dev kits but they are quickly maturing. For example just look at DMC5. That game was supposed to get raytracing sometime after launch but they had it ready much earlier than anticipated.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007
series x is still holding better frameratess and overall game performances are better
That's not the reality of what's going on right now, Sub. The PS5 version is clearly the better version given this breakdown. No damage control needed.

Will things change in the future? They should. No one is arguing against that nor is anyone arguing that the PS5 is stronger due to these latest results.

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
That is a bit surprising truth be told. Anvil tho isn't the best at scaling effects, so who knows. ATM this is a dataset of two, until there's a broader spread of titles doing their own thing then probs take these early titles with a grain of salt.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Yeah, time will tell if this is just about the SX being harder to develop for or if it's less efficient and have more bottlenecks in the hardware than the PS5. But it's definitely too early to tell yet, we need to see alot more games compared before we can draw any conclusions.