Digital Optical cable question.

noethix

Superior Member
Oct 15, 2007
I bought a HTIB for my set up a few days ago. Not a great system, it's a samsung but I just bought something to get me into the surround sound world.

The receiver has one digital optic input slot, and one hdmi OUTPUT. It seems as though I'm pretty limited with what I can hook up to this system.

What kind of sound would I be getting by running the optical cable from the PS3 to the receiver?

I'm currently running HDMI to my 46inch aquos, and Optical cable from PS3 to RECEIVER.

Am I still getting decent surround from this?

I imagine that I won't be able to run a separate HDMI cable from the receivers HDMI OUTPUT to my cable box?

I'd hate to use a splitter for optical cables.

:(

Thanks guys.

HTIB is the Samsung HT-Z420

daley30

Superior Member
Jun 2, 2008
England
[QUOTE="noethix, post: 0]I bought a HTIB for my set up a few days ago. Not a great system, it's a samsung but I just bought something to get me into the surround sound world.

The receiver has one digital optic input slot, and one hdmi OUTPUT. It seems as though I'm pretty limited with what I can hook up to this system.

What kind of sound would I be getting by running the optical cable from the PS3 to the receiver?

I'm currently running HDMI to my 46inch aquos, and Optical cable from PS3 to RECEIVER.

Am I still getting decent surround from this?

I imagine that I won't be able to run a separate HDMI cable from the receivers HDMI OUTPUT to my cable box?

I'd hate to use a splitter for optical cables.

:(

Thanks guys.

HTIB is the Samsung HT-Z420[/quote]
Hi does this system come with a DVD or bluray player, or is it aspeaker and receiver package

daley30

Superior Member
Jun 2, 2008
England
Just had a look at this set on samsungs web site, how you have it set up is about the only way you can set it up, optical from PS3 TO 5.1 system, HDMI from dvd to tv. should be getting 5.1 dd/ dts

higgos22

Master Guru
Feb 8, 2009
Yeh you pretty much done everything correctly
hook the digital optical into the amp or dvd player or whatever the speakers are plugged into and then the HDMI out into HDMI in on the tv

phil_75

Dedicated Member
Mar 30, 2009
DERBY
Does anyone else have issues with the sound cutting out with slim and optical?

Mainly when it changes to dts!

Very annoying, have to turn reciever on and off till it stays on.:x

noethix

Superior Member
Oct 15, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I noticed that attempting to switch the audio to an uncompresse track on a bluray switched the output to lpm and 2.1. Dolby digital gives me full 5.1. Still sounds great :).

Unfortunately I cant hook my comcast cable box to it without a toslink switcher, thats not gonna fly :(

noethix

Superior Member
Oct 15, 2007
I have another question - same set up.

I have the PS3 SLIM 250GB version. I read that this beast bitstreams?

Should I switch the PS3 settings to BITSTREAM to handle the DTS HD tracks better?

[QUOTE="noethix, post: 0]I have another question - same set up.

Should I switch the PS3 settings to BITSTREAM to handle the DTS HD tracks better?[/quote] Doesn't matter because you most likely won't notice any difference in quality with a HTIB setup (not bashing it, but it's merely the truth, unfortunately).

Also, as much as many Audiophiles would like to pipe up, the PS3 does more than a fine job at converting Bitstream to PCM, and unless you have a multi-thousand dollar receiver, it most likely WON'T be superior to the PS3 in its decoding prowess; of course, the advantages of having your receiver decode it is the lack of noise (since it uses less power on the PS3), so if you're worried about fan noise, use bitstream. Otherwise, PCM is fine :).

R_Mac_1

Forum Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Corpus Christi, TX
[QUOTE="noethix, post: 0]I have another question - same set up.

Should I switch the PS3 settings to BITSTREAM to handle the DTS HD tracks better?[/quote]
Yes, leave it on bitstream.

If you're using optical, you don't want to choose LPCM because it will only give you a stereo signal. Bitstream will give you DD, DTS.

Also, you're not going to get DTS: MA or TrueHD unless you use HDMI for sound, which is not an option for you.