Digital TV switch question

grcswoosh

Master Poster
Oct 5, 2007
SoCal
I got a question about next February's digital TV switch (in the U.S.)

Will the change in signal save bandwidth for cable/fiber companies?
If so, can we expect better HD signals (ie, less tiling & pixelation)?
If not, can we expect worse HD signals?

mcav

Elite Guru
Jan 12, 2007
Sorry, I've no idea. I thought you were going to ask about the UK digital switch over.

Our switch over is being phased in between now and 2011. This is one of the few benefits of living in the UK though. There are not that many different digital TV standards. You have digital Satellite, digital cable and digital terrestrial. Our analogue signal will be fully turned off by 2011 and we'll be left with digital terrestrial providing SD and HD channels, cable and satellite also providing SD and HD channels.

Having said that, you won't believe the confusion this is causing amongst some of the monkeys in the UK, all worrying that their TV will stop working in 2011 because the analogue system will be turned off.

ex nihilo7

Master Poster
Nov 13, 2006
[QUOTE="mcav, post: 0]Sorry, I've no idea. I thought you were going to ask about the UK digital switch over.

Our switch over is being phased in between now and 2011. This is one of the few benefits of living in the UK though. There are not that many different digital TV standards. You have digital Satellite, digital cable and digital terrestrial. Our analogue signal will be fully turned off by 2011 and we'll be left with digital terrestrial providing SD and HD channels, cable and satellite also providing SD and HD channels.

Having said that, you won't believe the confusion this is causing amongst some of the monkeys in the UK, all worrying that their TV will stop working in 2011 because the analogue system will be turned off.[/quote]
Sounds like the US, but 2 years later.