DIRT demo up...

X2

Elite Guru
Oct 13, 2004
[QUOTE="bluvi69, post: 0]no it is great & fun, your ps3 soon (hopefully) will get the demo too.

from andrewfee (neogaf)
screen capture from HDTV set, 360 Dirt demos

[reveal]

[/reveal]

wooow !!!!,[/QUOTE]

There you go;), the demo is awesome.

E

Einhander

[QUOTE="bluvi69, post: 0]no it is great & fun, your ps3 soon (hopefully) will get the demo too.

from andrewfee (neogaf)
screen capture from HDTV set, 360 Dirt demos

http://sr-388.net/images/gaming/360/dirt/DSCF4301.jpg

http://sr-388.net/images/gaming/360/dirt/DSCF4310.jpg

http://sr-388.net/images/gaming/360/dirt/DSCF4312.jpg

http://sr-388.net/images/gaming/360/dirt/DSCF4317.jpg

http://sr-388.net/images/gaming/360/dirt/DSCF4320.jpg

wooow !!!!,[/QUOTE]
The dirt and tire tracks look great but it doesn't look like the cars can make tire tracks of their own. Look at the two bottom pics. Can someone at home with the demo confirm this for us?

Scotracer

Master Poster
Sep 8, 2006
Who-ever's HDTV that is, they NEED to get it re-calibrated :lol: Far too high Contrast Ratio.

The game is really pretty, but FFS the handling is terrible...and I mean terrible. ARCADE!!!! argh!

Apr 4, 2007
I'll tell you guys the truth... I have paid for Forza already but after playing this, even though it's two different kinds of games, I'm seriously thinking about skipping Forza and rerouting my money towards DIRT... I decided way back I couldn't justify purchasing both and had to choose one and this may be the one I end up going with... the cockpit view in this game is a blast to play... the menus/presentation seem so much more fun than Forza's... at least with the demo, Forza felt more like Forza 1.5 (I guess the same way some people feel about Halo 3)... and playing kinda felt like I was still playing the original Forza.. but DIRT just screams next (or new) gen all over... check it out and decide for yourselves..

edit: truth is I'll probably rationalize buying both and wind up doing so... but if I HAD to choose one based on demos it would be DIRT...

Aug 6, 2006
This game will be good for die hard fans of the series and maybe people who choose graphics over gameplay. The racing in this game is terrible IMO. Id rather a SIM racer over this arcade fluff any day. Oh well...I guess Forza will have to do :D

ONQ

Master Guru
Jun 30, 2006
[QUOTE="ptrainpope, post: 0]I'll tell you guys the truth... I have paid for Forza already but after playing this, even though it's two different kinds of games, I'm seriously thinking about skipping Forza and rerouting my money towards DIRT... I decided way back I couldn't justify purchasing both and had to choose one and this may be the one I end up going with... the cockpit view in this game is a blast to play... the menus/presentation seem so much more fun than Forza's... at least with the demo, Forza felt more like Forza 1.5 (I guess the same way some people feel about Halo 3)... and playing kinda felt like I was still playing the original Forza.. but DIRT just screams next (or new) gen all over... check it out and decide for yourselves..

edit: truth is I'll probably rationalize buying both and wind up doing so... but if I HAD to choose one based on demos it would be DIRT...[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way when you play Forza 2 you forget that you are playing the 360 until they show the replay with dirt you know it's next gen from the second the race starts.

E

Einhander

[QUOTE="Scotracer, post: 0]Who-ever's HDTV that is, they NEED to get it re-calibrated :lol: Far too high Contrast Ratio.[/QUOTE]
Could be the camera too. I would use my cellphone camera if I were to do this because that's all I have. Mine would probably look worse.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
[QUOTE="Killller, post: 0]How big is the file?

I'll download this once I get to my xbox.[/quote]

768.79MB

It's the slowest download I've ever seen on Live. I suspect there's a problem with some servers somewhere (although I'm in the UK and so it may only be this side of the pond that's experiencing the slowness)

NeverNight

Superior Member
Aug 15, 2006
Great, only played it for 20 minutes or so but in the time I had with it, pure fun. Purchase. :p Eh, when does it release again?

S

SharkBait1980

I only played it for 20 minutes but I am definetely picking this one up. The whole thing just looks so pretty. Insane fun trying to wreck my car. Rumble well implemented. I have both consoles but definetely getting the 360 version because of rumble and wheel support.

Nov 24, 2005
www.myspace.com
[QUOTE="WebMoose, post: 0]Impressions........Fantastic Graphics/ the vehicle models are exceptional! There's 3 tracks/3 vehicles to choose from in the demo........it's feels less of a sim this time round to me and handles more like RallySportChallenge 2 on the Xbox!
Based on the Demo me thinks it's a Must title![/QUOTE]

oh yes, this makes me happy:DD :DD :DD :DD :DD

Killller

Forum Elder
Aug 19, 2005
[QUOTE="Sparc, post: 0]

It's the slowest download I've ever seen on Live. I suspect there's a problem with some servers somewhere (although I'm in the UK and so it may only be this side of the pond that's experiencing the slowness)[/QUOTE]

That's weird.. Download time seemed normal to me.

I like the demo, especially the rookie course with the dune buggy. Its a beast. :D

Tetsu

Forum Guru
May 6, 2006
I'll have to say that I agree with Scott this time around. The game is very pretty but the handling is decidedly arcade. The way the game handles inertia, grip, steering, basic feel... it's just okay, but it doesn't seem like a rally game at all. Maybe the hillclimb will be some fun, but I'd rather just race around in Forza some more. Loosing interest in Codies, gonna stick with Forza and Gran Turismo. I'm all about car collecting and modding anyway.

Hussar

Superior Member
Dec 27, 2005
Graphics look exactly like GRAW and the Mexican part of R6V. Same soft twilight lighting, same southwest desert and earth tone palette, same texture quality, similar setting, overall appearance, etc. 100% identical. If you didn't know it, you'd think you were driving a rally car through GRAW. Which contrasts with Motorstorm, for example, which is more shiny and vibrant and arcade-y.

Likewise, the car models are much the same as vehicles seen in GRAW but maybe a notch or two above. Shinier obviously.

The load times are a little longer than I would expect, maybe 20 to 25 seconds? I haven't timed them, but they seemed long-ish. Maybe it was just me being impatient.

Game is solid. It's fun. But I don't think there is anything very unique about it. It's just a nice looking rally racer. The in-game menu and graphics and presentation is very well done, though. Slick.

I found the handling less arcady than others, meaning it was easy to lose control and get spun in circles, easy to lose traction and fly off the track. And very easy to get caught on trackside barriers and obstacles, like rocks and boxes. I got stuck twice in them and couldn't maneuver out. It's definitely not Ridge Racer, but it's more like a sim in that it is less forgiving if you mess up.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Scotracer

Master Poster
Sep 8, 2006
[QUOTE="Tetsu, post: 0]I'll have to say that I agree with Scott this time around. The game is very pretty but the handling is decidedly arcade. The way the game handles inertia, grip, steering, basic feel... it's just okay, but it doesn't seem like a rally game at all. Maybe the hillclimb will be some fun, but I'd rather just race around in Forza some more. Loosing interest in Codies, gonna stick with Forza and Gran Turismo. I'm all about car collecting and modding anyway.[/quote]

Indeed.

What I've noticed so far is that the coefficient of grip is just too high on the surfaces. On the tarmac Super Special, the Subaru just gripped like it had some crazy levels of downforce :?

Also, on the Hillclimb I noticed that the cars really seem like they are on rails. As you said, the cars carry very little (if any) inertia into corners and it feels like they didn't take weight into consideration at all when developing the physics. C'mon, the cars still weigh 1200kg! The steering has far too much bite (on the hill climb it felt like a tarmac road on rFactor :suspect: ) and that isn't the worst part of it - if the front end bites usually you get an inbalance and the rear trails (especially on a rally car) but you just don't get that. They are glued to the road and the only way to break traction is to apply the old handbrake. Very frustrating as it removes any sense of rythm as the car doesn't react how I'd expect it too.

This is ok for casual racer fans as they can adapt easily but for sim addicts like myself it was torture and I kept over-cutting the corners.

The final major gripe I have is with braking feel...or the lack thereof. You apply the brake - the car slows down. Great...just what you want, correct? No! I want to know where the limit of adhesion is and now how much lateral movement the car can take as it allows me to judge the cars entry attack angle correctly.

The CORR buggie was the best of the 3 but still left me waining...

Yours Sincerely,

One pissed off racing sim fan.

B

BudFox

I liked it a lot for the exact same reason the sim fans seem to hate it. Just not that into racers, so the easier it is to control the better. I was hoping to just pick one(forza/dirt)...but I know I'm just gonna buy both anyhow.

vorian

Superior Member
Sep 14, 2005
[QUOTE="Hussar, post: 0]Graphics look exactly like GRAW and the Mexican part of R6V. Same soft twilight lighting, same southwest desert and earth tone palette, same texture quality, similar setting, overall appearance, etc. 100% identical. If you didn't know it, you'd think you were driving a rally car through GRAW. Which contrasts with Motorstorm, for example, which is more shiny and vibrant and arcade-y.

Likewise, the car models are much the same as vehicles seen in GRAW but maybe a notch or two above. Shinier obviously.

The load times are a little longer than I would expect, maybe 20 to 25 seconds? I haven't timed them, but they seemed long-ish. Maybe it was just me being impatient.

Game is solid. It's fun. But I don't think there is anything very unique about it. It's just a nice looking rally racer. The in-game menu and graphics and presentation is very well done, though. Slick.

I found the handling less arcady than others, meaning it was easy to lose control and get spun in circles, easy to lose traction and fly off the track. And very easy to get caught on trackside barriers and obstacles, like rocks and boxes. I got stuck twice in them and couldn't maneuver out. It's definitely not Ridge Racer, but it's more like a sim in that it is less forgiving if you mess up.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10.[/QUOTE]

When I first loaded it up, I was thinking about how well the NEON engine would be able to handle Operation Flashpoint 2. By looks of things, quite well.

Although if OP2 doesn't retain maps of at least 100KM square with multiple simultaneous conflict zones, then I'll be giving my money to Bohemia for ArmA.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
Bit too much bloom for me but other than that the graphics are really excellent. I still have to say I prefer Motorstorm, but there is virtually nothing in it. The handling is very arcadey but that's fine - this is an arcade racer. If you go into the game with that perception then you'll not be miffed. If you want a sim then Forza 2 will be what you need (at the expense of some graphical prowess), but if you just want a good fun all round arcarde racer then this looks very promising.

T

trumpz

I did not like the demo... graphics nothing special and the car felt dodgy.

If you would buy this instead of forza 2 you are insane.

J

justintheman99

I still have yet to find the time to download it. Oh well by the time I actually do everyone else in the world should have it and the download will be fast for me.

Apr 23, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
Took me a while to get into the demo but once it clicked i bloody love it, seems alot more fun than Forza and the sense of speed when in first person cam is incredible!! Think i will be opting for Forza though as it will last alot longer!

May 9, 2006
The presentation/menus were incredible. I was more impressed by the graphics that I was by the graphics in Forza.

I had a problem with the feel of the game though. I was a Rallisport fan last generation. I am not 100% sure of what it is about the feel but I think the rumble was used better in Rallisport Challenge series.

Since this game is about time challenges more than online racing vs competition I'll probably go with Forza 2 instead despite the fact that I think DIRT is a better looking game. I'll probably pick DIRT up somewhere down the road when I can get it for $30-$40 off ebay.

E

Einhander

The foliage looks nice but that's about it. Man the side of the rock walls are all blocky with some square, perfect, straight lines that are sposed to be cracks and crevices in the rocks. Your car barley makes tire tracks in the dirt. It's just a tire track texture that follows behind your car that you can barley see. Then the physics are a complete joke! The car moves around and floats akywardly rocking side to side in mid air when it hits walls or goes off a clif. Then, did they HAVE to put the annoying backfireing of your car and millions of small rocks hitting it? That drove me crazy. And lastly, it's spossed to be a simulation I'm assuming but it controls like an arcade game. I wasn't feeling this game at all. I'll stick with Motorstorm.