Do I need to buy warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2008
I just spent a **** load on gaming, bought sc4,grid and a d3 controller.

I have 3 days left to buy warranty for my system and I'm a bit low on funds. Bestbuy is a bunch of CROOKS. $60 for ONE year warranty.

I had a problem with my system randomly freezing when I fist got it but I no longer have that problem.

Should I head out and buy the warranty or should I feel secure about this Beastie machine?
I love it to death

Jun 13, 2008
Personally, I didn't get a warranty for mine. Maybe it was optimism but then again, I haven't really heard of that many people having problems with their launch consoles.

I just looked and we do have a limited hardware warranty from Sony so as long as you avoid doing something stupid or an "act of God" happens on your system, you should be ok lol

Sep 30, 2007
It's not completely necessary since PS3's are alot more reliable than Xbox 360's but if you have the money to spend for it and if it will help you rest alot easier than go for it!

Jul 1, 2008
[QUOTE="triggap, post: 0]Personally, I didn't get a warranty for mine. Maybe it was optimism but then again, I haven't really heard of that many people having problems with their launch consoles.

I just looked and we do have a limited hardware warranty from Sony so as long as you avoid doing something stupid or an "act of God" happens on your system, you should be ok lol[/quote]

We do? I was searching for that info among the booklets but I didnt find anything.

and I take good care of my system :cool: I "power cycle" my fans every few days so my system stays 100% dust free

Carsonal

Elite Sage
Jun 3, 2006
I didn't get a warranty, mainly because I'd be willing to pay for repairs if need be.
It saved me some cash at the time

makidian

Superior Member
May 25, 2007
Almost everything these days comes with some sort of limited manufacturers warranty, at least a year. I always buy an extended when it comes to high end electronics, like my PS3 or my TV, things like that. Despite the low probability that something will happen to your system, it's always good to have a backup just in case, but maybe I'm just paranoid like that.

I will say that your right about BB, they wanted $400 to extend the warranty on my laptop! It isn't even worth that much anymore

360DiedOnMe

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
depends on whether you want to spend 400 bucks again. And it's a 2 year warranty, i know what you're implying though. With the best buy even in the first year you'll be able to take it in and swap it out and be without it for a couple of hours and not a week or whatever.

adzzz man

Forum Elder
Apr 16, 2008
[QUOTE="HowlBridges, post: 0]We do? I was searching for that info among the booklets but I didnt find anything.

and I take good care of my system :cool: I "power cycle" my fans every few days so my system stays 100% dust free[/quote]
just to say that i do the 40 gig fan test nearly every 2 weeks i recommend you do the same because i have been told to not do it every few days i was told by a close freind who works in the gaming industry.

A

Anbu_Evolution

I definitely would buy the warranty. With the PS3, yeah its more reliable but what if you happen to pick up that PS3 that was in that small percent tile that was defective?

I bought a 360 from Bestbuy and bought their warranty as well. My 360 RROD so instead of calling Microsoft and doing that whole dreaded process of waiting, I just strolled in BB, told them what happened and they gave me a brand new out of the box one. I bought my PS3 from Gamestop and I bought their warranty as well.

S

SonKitty

I bought a warranty from Best Buy, and our PS3 died recently. We eventually got an 80gig replacement but if BC is important to you, I recommend not wasting your money since BC models might be gone if your PS3 breaks later on down the line.

Best Buy will only offer replacements. I tried talking to a rep about being reimbursed for repairs instead, but he wouldn't budge, constantly telling me it was for a replacement. Well, when you'd rather have a FIXED PS3 so that you can play all your PS2 games (yes, I do use that feature quite a bit), the gift card reimbursement is not what you want.

Provided BC doesn't matter to you though, yes, go ahead just so long as you know it's for a full replacement, no repairs.

Looking back, I would not have. Our replacement plan cost $100 and the repairs would have been $150. Considering the hassle I had to put up with and exchanging for a model that plays fewer PS2 games, I would have rather saved the money then to pay for repairs now.

Lesson learned. I, for one, will never buy a replacement plan from them ever again.

One-Shot

Master Guru
Aug 5, 2007
Georgia
[QUOTE="HowlBridges, post: 0]I just spent a **** load on gaming, bought sc4,grid and a d3 controller.

I have 3 days left to buy warranty for my system and I'm a bit low on funds. Bestbuy is a bunch of CROOKS. $60 for ONE year warranty.

I had a problem with my system randomly freezing when I fist got it but I no longer have that problem.

Should I head out and buy the warranty or should I feel secure about this Beastie machine?
I love it to death[/quote]
Actually the warrenty is for two years, not one. One year is for the videogames and two for systems. If it does break it is easier to get a new ps3 by just going to the store and picking one up instead of waiting for sony to "fix" it.

Jul 1, 2008
Thanks for all the input guys.

I wont be buying that warranty though since the system came with a 1 year warranty. If It breaks after that I'll just con someone by selling it to them ;) lol or I'll just pay for repairs

Jun 13, 2008
[QUOTE="HowlBridges, post: 0]Thanks for all the input guys.

I wont be buying that warranty though since the system came with a 1 year warranty. If It breaks after that I'll just con someone by selling it to them ;) lol or I'll just pay for repairs[/quote]

Hopefully it'll never come to that lol Luckily the ps3 doesn't have as high a failure rate as the competition. Not enough to warrant it's own wikipedia page anyway :D

B

Brinn

Yeah, but Best Buy and Circuit city both say it is 2 years. But if you try to have them help you within that first year, they will both tell you to go to the manufacture. It is a total rip off. Unless it is something like 4 years down the road or something, but a two year for so much money is horriable. Circuit city wanted 75 dollars for 2 years... but more like one extra year... grr...

B

bahace

i work customer service at best buy..ill tell you how this actually work with our PRP for $60 on the PS3...the first year is covered under manufacturer warranty..we will swap the system AS MANY TIMES as it dies under that warranty at no cost to you..we use their warranty instead of ours so you dont have to rebuy and lose money..after the first year..it is no longer covered by SONY..so we use our PRP..we swap the system..and if you still want the product replacement plan (PRP) you will have to rebuy it.
If you get a different unit..
example 1:
if you bought a 60gig unit..and it dies and you get a 40gb unit because we dont carry the 60gb anymore..your PRP with us does not transfer over because the UPCs are different. BUT, you can get a voucher for it if you send the system into bestbuy by calling 1-888-BESTBUY they will give you FULL REFUND for system and PRP but you must send the system in. takes about 1month
example 2:
if you buy the PS3 80gb that is about to come out and the PRP with us and it dies in 4months. we replace for you..no cost..instant swap at the customer service counter..if you choose to get the 80gb again then your PRP with us carries over. lets say it dies again..in 2 months (total of 6months now) we replace it again..no cose..PRP carries over..you now have 1yr and 6months left on the PRP. lets say 5more months pass and it dies again..same process..(you now have 1yr 1 month left on the prp) ok..now its been 1 yr and 5months from ORIGNAL purchase of the ps3..and it dies... we will swap it for you again..but the PRP is considered fulfilled and you must buy a new PRP if you want BESTBUY to cover it for 2years

I am the customer service senior(supv) at my store...

Oct 11, 2006
[QUOTE="bahace, post: 0]i work customer service at best buy..ill tell you how this actually work with our PRP for $60 on the PS3...the first year is covered under manufacturer warranty..we will swap the system AS MANY TIMES as it dies under that warranty at no cost to you..we use their warranty instead of ours so you dont have to rebuy and lose money..after the first year..it is no longer covered by SONY..so we use our PRP..we swap the system..and if you still want the product replacement plan (PRP) you will have to rebuy it.
If you get a different unit..
example 1:
if you bought a 60gig unit..and it dies and you get a 40gb unit because we dont carry the 60gb anymore..your PRP with us does not transfer over because the UPCs are different. BUT, you can get a voucher for it if you send the system into bestbuy by calling 1-888-BESTBUY they will give you FULL REFUND for system and PRP but you must send the system in. takes about 1month
example 2:
if you buy the PS3 80gb that is about to come out and the PRP with us and it dies in 4months. we replace for you..no cost..instant swap at the customer service counter..if you choose to get the 80gb again then your PRP with us carries over. lets say it dies again..in 2 months (total of 6months now) we replace it again..no cose..PRP carries over..you now have 1yr and 6months left on the PRP. lets say 5more months pass and it dies again..same process..(you now have 1yr 1 month left on the prp) ok..now its been 1 yr and 5months from ORIGNAL purchase of the ps3..and it dies... we will swap it for you again..but the PRP is considered fulfilled and you must buy a new PRP if you want BESTBUY to cover it for 2years

I am the customer service senior(supv) at my store...[/quote]

How about this, I bought a 40 gig in July (and the PRP). If the price goes down to 350 in 6 months, can I take it back and get my 50 bucks out of it and keep the warranty since it's within a year? Also, if the 80 gig replaces the 40 gig in 6 months, can I take the 40 gig back and get it replaced with the 80 gig for free and not lose my PRP?

B

bahace

[QUOTE="Typical guy, post: 0]How about this, I bought a 40 gig in July (and the PRP). If the price goes down to 350 in 6 months, can I take it back and get my 50 bucks out of it and keep the warranty since it's within a year? Also, if the 80 gig replaces the 40 gig in 6 months, can I take the 40 gig back and get it replaced with the 80 gig for free and not lose my PRP?[/quote]

no..the price match policy is 30days on gaming systems..and no..at my store we test all gaming system returns to make sure it is defective when the customer brings it back back..the PRP is not a rental policy for customers to bring back items later on the next upgrade. if your ps3 breaks and you return it and get the 80gig..the PRP doesnt transfer and it is a different system and the previous PRP only cover the UPC and SKU# (stock keeping unit) of the 40gig(the original pruchase)

Status
Not open for further replies.