Does anyone else miss offline multiplayer gaming?

ManaBurnX

Shogun of the Ban Thread
Apr 6, 2008
I like to have the option of playing online or offline but offline multiplayer tends to be the most fun because you can see who you are playing with and mess with them while they're playing. Right now the Wii is the king of multiplayer/party games (offline) and you can find plenty there. On the PS3 there's not so much now but I can't wait for LittleBigPlanet because it will be four players online and offline!

May 7, 2008
My wife and I enjoy playing video games together, but there seems to be a dearth of good games (barring Madden '08 and the like) of offline 2+ player games. Call of Duty 4 looked great, but we can only do deathmatch type playing it seems.

L

Lymphatikz

Offline Multiplayer hasnt gone anywhere. Games like COD4 and the like that dont let you not do split screen - Yeah it's a right bast*rd but to be honnest i hate splitting my screen upto share and the only games i usualy play offline multiplayer is Fifa, Pro evo and the odd racing game.
Splitscreen hasnt gone anywhere - it's just a hassle at best of times.

bockscar

Apprentice
May 7, 2008
some games like burnout are fun to have split screen

a kind of game that u can buy and keep replaying with family and friends.

i almost bought burnout until i realised it doesnt have split screen. ps3 games are costly for me and the ps3 is JUST only bought. it'd be weird to have a first game that cant play multiplayer with my brothers

I

Ishimaru Kaito

i usually don't play with other people offline cause i'm a rebel like that so i can't really say that i miss it

madhi19

Superior Member
Apr 9, 2008
What I would like even more than split screen is split video feed we got two video port the component and the HDMI why not use both! It would be great if we could assign them to a different Tv for player one and player two! And I would also want to get support for LAN party instead of only playing trough the psn!

Jan 16, 2008
madhi - pretty sure that's not possible. the system settings demand that you choose one or the other.

And split screen gaming has not "gone" as such, but the point of this thread is to make sure that the developers of games like burnout and resistance appreciate there is still a market for people who play multiplayer offline - split screen has gone out of the burnout series and this has annoyed me!

madhi19

Superior Member
Apr 9, 2008
You could probably solve that with a simple firmware upgrade it not really a big issue. And I don't see the ps3 supporting it for graphic intensive game. But some games like RTS would be perfect that way. And the same setup could be use for dual screen XMB.

Nov 30, 2006
Two screens in offline mode would kick a.ss. When the original designs for the ps3 were comin out I remember there being two hdmi ports, but we all see how well that idea panned out.
What id really love to see is online mode with a friend. Halo and the such have modes where you can bring a friend in with you. Awesome. Not to mention the ease of having Lan parties with some friends and a few small-ish tv's. I remember playin 4 on 4 COD3 on xbox with some friends with the tv's backed up to each other, insane setup.
Just played COD4 this morning against my bro and two of his friends. 3 on 1, im talkin 30 kills to there 4. Should have been declared as rape.... probably not though.

As every analyst and programmer has stated, and as most of us know already, the ps3's potential hasn't even been tapped into yet. Since the "hello world" a couple weeks ago, I'd say it'll be a year or two before we see some really nice open source progress. And once that happens... who knows.

FantasyStar

Dedicated Member
Oct 20, 2006
It's cause of the offline aspects that I live such as bots, co-op, and jumping in during the action that I plan to buy Haze. They're very big on that and I look forward to it.

S

SonKitty

I play fighting games so...I don't.

And my friends that play the likes of Warhawk and Resistance do so offline at a friend's house just fine.

aayman_farzand

Superior Member
Mar 19, 2008
i've been thinking the same thing for the past few days. i hav 4 controllers, and i use all of them at once i just 2 games, CoD4 and WWE08. dev's r focusing soo much on online multiplayer that they r forgetting that some of us hav friends who come over to play. and i hav a 256K burstable connection, cant play online either, i always look for decent multiplayer capabilities in a game, so far i;ve found a handful only

[QUOTE="deanosrs, post: 0]One of the most significant steps up the PS3 took from its predecessor was online gaming. No PS2 game ever really managed to get a good online community going, but games like Warhawk now exist that revolve solely around online play.

The problem is, developers seem to have forgotten about people who actually have real life friends and enjoy playing multiplayer amongst themselves. Now I appreciate split screen is a pain to program, as you have to effectively cut parts out of the game so you can run 2-4 copies of it at the same time, but I'm really frustrated that no multiplayer seems to cater for this option. For instance, Resistance has an offline multiplayer - but no bots! What's the point? Unless you happen to have 7 Resistance playing friends at your house at the same time and 7 controllers, which I imagine a total of maybe 3 PS3 owners have, you're screwed.

Another good example is Burnout - on the PS2 I used to have great laughs with mates doing not splitscreen but the party modes, where you'd take it in turns to do crashbreakers or burnout chains. How difficult must that be to program? Hardly at all, I would have thought. But is it in the PS3 version...? No.

I don't have time to invest in getting into "clans" and the like online. I'm hardly a casual gamer, don't get me wrong, but the games that I'd be good enough to play online (Pro Evo, Burnout) either leave me with no inspiration to do so, or the servers are just crap. Without Resistance's cooperative mode or UEFA 2008's captain your country mode, for me offline multiplayer gaming on the PS3 is dead. Which is a huge, huge shame.

Loads of my mates had Timesplitters 2 on PS2 and we had some immense games on PS2 with bots. If Haze fails to offer this option, there's going to be at least 4 very dissapointed post-finals uni students come June![/quote]

I couldn't have said it any better myself. ++rep! Every month a bunch of my friends come over and we all like to play at the same time. Warhawk is fun, but very hard unless you play all the time. COD4 is ok too, but other than shooters, what is there?

Mar 7, 2008
yea i wish more games like UT3 & MS had offline multiplayer
its way funner to beat my best friends ass at a game then some1 i dont know
& MS without offline multiplayer was a tard idea
i owuld hav played it way more if i could hav been racing my friends/family

B

Bullet

I don't care if they allow online, as long as it always supports SPLIT SCREEN! Oh how I miss the days of split screen :(

towlie

Dedicated Member
Feb 25, 2007
yea there was a thread aboutthis not too long ago and i compleatly agree, even better would be online split screen but no one ever wants to do that

C

C.T.E.

I do love Goldeneye, but I'm over having my screen 4 times smaller and knowing where the other guy is just by looking at his screen.

Aug 23, 2007
Thats what I am saying I want multilayer on the same console games. Whats wrong with this gen? Its all about playing 1 player with a friend online WTF???? I like it when people are right there. I just have to hope that Tales of Vespiria ends up coming to ps3. There really isn't a reason it shouldn't. Also I am pretty jelouse of Fable 2 it will have the multi player. Then again thats why I love Warhawk. I can bring people with me and do all the time.

surtur

Super Elite
Oct 5, 2005
i would much rather play offline with my GF or a friend when we are just relaxing then play online and have my gf or friends just watch. i just wish motorstorm had split screen my gf loves that game and so do i but i can't destroy her in split screen and make her cry lol.

skrilla

Apprentice
Dec 19, 2007
Oh man I loved Goldeneye for the n64, I spent countless hours playing with my friends...I'll never forget Goldeneye, so yea I would be cool I the ps3 had some fun splitscreen games. And playing Halo 2 system link was a blast too lol.

FlipBwoy

Apprentice
May 14, 2008
Yh, when I first tried resistance's offline multiplayer mode I was confused because der were no bots. But Resistance does have campaign co op.

Syugo

Superior Member
Jun 24, 2007
I need/want a fps with bots. The only shooter game I can play with my friends at my house is Warhawk because of split screen online.

Jan 24, 2006
img331.imageshack.us
[QUOTE="surtur, post: 0]i would much rather play offline with my GF or a friend when we are just relaxing then play online and have my gf or friends just watch. i just wish motorstorm had split screen my gf loves that game and so do i but i can't destroy her in split screen and make her cry lol.[/QUOTE]

Then seems like you will have to wait for Motorstorm: Pacific rift that will have 4 player split screen. This time aorund there getting it right.

Sep 4, 2006
Pittsburgh PA
LOL ps2 didnt have any online games that kicked off??? no such game as socom i guess then.

anyway, i do miss offline multiplayer. me and a few of my friends have a 3way party game deal. all three of us have to buy a party game soon. im about to buy MUA(for the 3rd time) the other 2 have to get HAZE and smackdown vs raw.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
Yea I enjoy them. My friends and I got a lot out of Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Wrestling (haha, ya), San Andreas and other games like that. Developers should definitely add them in since more often than not you have a friend at your house that wants to play also but can't because it's only 1 player offline and then multiplayer online... doesn't make sense.

One of the only things I like about the Wii is how so many of their games are multiplayer offline. The guy next to me in the dorms had one and there was always people in there playing on it.

Wow, that sounds kinda dirty... a bunch of guys in there playing with his Wii... I think Nintendo has a dirty mind.

Centurion

Dedicated Member
May 15, 2008
I think you have a dirty mind.

I enjoy offline multiplayer much more than online multiplayer. Atleast you can see who you are playing with.