Does anyone else miss offline multiplayer gaming?

superJoel

Superior Member
Dec 4, 2006
Rock Band is a great offline multiplayer game with friends. But, yes the focus seems to have shifted more toward online gaming. sucks for me though... cuz my connection is pretty slow and probably couldn't hack warhawk or a FPS type game online... just a 768K connection :(

May 12, 2007
VA
i agree with the original poster and many others who have posted in here...me and my friend love playing games together in the same room...we wouldnt have it any other way...its more fun being able to talk and laugh and just react to what each other is doing....my friend doesnt even get online to play games unless im over at his house with him...he has two tvs so we lan our consoles and play online together in the same room...but after i leave his house..he doesnt play online by himself...we just enjoy playing in the same room together....me and him went through RFOM many times..and cant wait to do so with Haze...

Gtek500

Dedicated Member
Oct 9, 2006
yeah i miss the halo parties we had that was awesome ppl split into 4 rooms and 4 teams screaming and yelling. theres nothing better than rubbing it in someones face that you owned them than literally doing it.

Nov 29, 2006
Hahaha making me nostalgic here. On N64 it was starfox, goldeneye, army men or bomber man. Dreamcast it was toy commander. Xbox we played so much halo split screen. The highlight of 9th grade was the halo lan parties we would have. 4 on 4. They really need to bring back an emphasis on console multi. Some of those games and the times we had playing them were defining points in my childhood

Centurion

Dedicated Member
May 15, 2008
I'm surprised so many people mentioned Golden Eye on N64 but not Perfect Dark. My friends and I played tons of Golden Eye until Perfect Dark was released, then that sort of took over with the co-op mode and multiplayer.

When playing online theres no bonding experience :(

Jan 29, 2007
Lol, no one answered his question...

YES, Haze DOES support bots :DD
"We have 16 player - that goes online or LAN. You can also mix in split-screen, so you can do 2 player split-screen online, and we're doing 16 players online with all those different permutations. We're supporting bots as well. Bots work online, so you can do deathmatch games online with bots in, and we're supporting them in a range of different modes. We're talking about a range of deathmatch variants and then our Team Assault mode.
Source: http://www.totalvideogames.com/articles/HAZE_-_Multiplayer_Hands_On_13141.htm

Now granted they mention very little of offline play... go figure, but everything works online as it does offline. Bots will work, online, offline, and of course over LAN. So whether you just have 2 people on one console or 16 over a LAN... there will be bots.

Btw, I completely agree... it is one of the main reasons I'm getting Haze... SPLITSCREEN! Thank god for R2 splitscreen and Motorstorm 4-player splitscreen as well :D Now I just hope Killzone 2 has splitscreen. That would be pretty much perfect!

Sicarius123

Superior Member
Feb 26, 2008
I didn't find the Haze demo better than COD, honestly I don't think COD4 online is going anywhere anytime soon, not too late to jump in it :)

Jan 29, 2007
I was actually rather disappointed that COD4 didn't have splitscreen. It has it for freakin deatchmatch but not for the singleplayer :(

Jan 29, 2007
Well Motorstorm 2 will have 4-player. So they have redeemed themselves. F-ing Epic is giving 360 UT3 splitscreen, and said had they been given more time would have given it to the PS3... [insert vulgarity], I would've happily given them more time had that been mentioned...

bobtheduck

Elite Guru
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
Sorry for bringing up the old thread, but it was brought up again (in another thread), so

[QUOTE="Deadly738, post: 0]Unreal Tournament 3 really needs split screen. Too bad we're not getting it... :|[/quote]

Actually, if it's possible to map functions to other controllers (I'm not sure) then it will be possible to do splitscreen... All you need is to set up alternate cameras that follow other characters (namely, the other players...)

It will require major adjustment on any map you plan on using it with, though... You'll need to reduce texture detail among other things... If the mipmaps can be changed in a mutator as well, this will work to allow for this (though I noticed MGS4 had splitscreen at times with no drop in framerate, but I doubt it would be possible in the most graphically intense scenes)

I've tried cooking maps for the PS3 (failed, haha), but I've never done mutators, and I don't even know where to start, so tell me this: Can you map things to other controllers on the PS3 cooks?

outlander2346

Dedicated Member
Jun 3, 2007
Well LBP will have an ultimate offline gameplay.Creating levels or just playing them with 3 of your friends on one PS3 is going to be awesome. And you can slap each other!!! lol

Not to mention 4 player online mode.

B

Barca

Man , i get my brother and a couple of friends over. plug in COD4 and play multiplayer.

its awesome.. great fun.. just knife battles and pistols or shotguns only.

it is so much fun

iTz nAsTyY

Apprentice
Feb 22, 2008
Well most of the games that i play are fighting games and are split screen compatible. But i wish there where more games like halo were split screen is still fun.

richkaos

Superior Member
Dec 4, 2006
[QUOTE="deanosrs, post: 0]One of the most significant steps up the PS3 took from its predecessor was online gaming. No PS2 game ever really managed to get a good online community going, but games like Warhawk now exist that revolve solely around online play.

The problem is, developers seem to have forgotten about people who actually have real life friends and enjoy playing multiplayer amongst themselves. Now I appreciate split screen is a pain to program, as you have to effectively cut parts out of the game so you can run 2-4 copies of it at the same time, but I'm really frustrated that no multiplayer seems to cater for this option. For instance, Resistance has an offline multiplayer - but no bots! What's the point? Unless you happen to have 7 Resistance playing friends at your house at the same time and 7 controllers, which I imagine a total of maybe 3 PS3 owners have, you're screwed.

Another good example is Burnout - on the PS2 I used to have great laughs with mates doing not splitscreen but the party modes, where you'd take it in turns to do crashbreakers or burnout chains. How difficult must that be to program? Hardly at all, I would have thought. But is it in the PS3 version...? No.

I don't have time to invest in getting into "clans" and the like online. I'm hardly a casual gamer, don't get me wrong, but the games that I'd be good enough to play online (Pro Evo, Burnout) either leave me with no inspiration to do so, or the servers are just crap. Without Resistance's cooperative mode or UEFA 2008's captain your country mode, for me offline multiplayer gaming on the PS3 is dead. Which is a huge, huge shame.

Loads of my mates had Timesplitters 2 on PS2 and we had some immense games on PS2 with bots. If Haze fails to offer this option, there's going to be at least 4 very dissapointed post-finals uni students come June![/quote]

Totally agree, check out The official multiplayer splitscreen fan club thread, where a list of good offline multiplayer games is growing
Ps HAZE does have bots and its a very good offline multiplayer game

richkaos

Superior Member
Dec 4, 2006
[QUOTE="RedDragon7, post: 0]I was actually rather disappointed that COD4 didn't have splitscreen. It has it for freakin deatchmatch but not for the singleplayer :([/quote]

It does have splistscreen for upto 4 people and in all match types