Does anyone else not like going to the movies?

Versus

Dedicated Member
Mar 6, 2007
Texas
I'm not a big movie goer, I really just see some of the big "blockbuster" films in the summer. But when I do go, I don't really like going that much for a multitute of reasons...

The last movie I went to go see was back in July. And it really reminded me why I hate going. First off the theater I went to seemed to go out of it's way to mislead customers. Once a day at like 4pm you can watch a movie for like $1.50 less then usual. Sounds nifty right?, not really. What I figured out and what they don't tell you is that when you get your ticket, it'll tell you what "time" the show starts, but that's NOT when it actually starts... That's when the hour long previews start. Now we're all used to watching some preview b4 I show start usually, but these like I said are an hour long! Aren't they usually like 20mins max? The problem here, is that if you think your show starts at that time then that's when people begin to show up, and you could be forced to sit there for an hour long before your show starts because they lied to you. So now you have one hour + 2 more hours of the movie to sit in one spot without too much stretching, which is something I don't think anyone should have to go through.

Now we have the next issue, annoying ass people to sit by. Last July I picked a seat, and was ok until this fat guy with this big ass bucket of nasty ass buttery popcorn sits in the row in front of me. Then I counld't help but smell this nasty butter for a few hours. (did I mention that they over charge for the food in these places too?) Not to mention, in the movie sitting b4 this one I had to sit by this 18-20 year old boy who had a hyper active problem, and over laughed at everything.... >.> I also would like to point out that I HATE sitting through love scenes which a bunch of people around me, I feel really akward.

Then theres the atmoshere of the theater itself. It may be great, or it could be shittish. This one was ok, but we all know at times it can get cold as hell and you may not want to miss 4minutes of a movie because you had to go back into your car to grab a damn jacket >.> Then the sound and visuals of a movie may not be up to par with current day standards. My last movie for some reason the sound was quite lower then usual movie volume, so you had to listen in. And alot of screens have crappy blur or something, it sure as hell ain't Blu-Ray HD.

Lastly folks, ima just be blunt with everybody ok? Ready for this complaint? Here I goooo!!!! I think all movies should have the option of first releasing on the internet as well as in theaters. And I'm not just talking about when the DVD/BR comes out, I'm talking AT THE INITIAL RELEASE. I want the option to watch/stream something at home so I don't have to succumb to the crap that is going to the theaters. And I don't give a damn if it hurts theater's profits!

I mean, I'm not anti movie going, I just know that I could have a 100% better experience watching movies at home. And I know going to the movies is better if you can bring along a BF/GF, but man for me, if I can't bring a lady along, tch it ain't much of a pleasant experience.

Last edited:

btbam

Super Elite
Jan 28, 2011
The Moor
last movie i went to see was Harry Potter 7 pt. deuce. I really don't go to the movies becuase its rare there is a movie that i absolutly have to see on the big screen. only reason i went to HP was cus i never saw one in theaters before and figured this was teh last chance. I think this was just a bad experience at your theater. I've seen those value shows in the middle of the days, but i've never had to wat an hr. just got a bum rap lol

Versus

Dedicated Member
Mar 6, 2007
Texas
Movies can be fun, but I really just want an option (a legal one lol) to like rent a movie through the mail at initial release so I can enjoy it on my own. Even if it's for like 3 days b4 you have to send it back. Or a good stream on the net.

R_Mac_1

Forum Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Corpus Christi, TX
I agree with you on sitting by annoying people and the sound/video quality. Watching Blurays at home on my 67" with 7.1 surround is better than the theater anyway. The only real reason I go (which isn't often) is to see something I really want to see earlier. Either that or certain things I want to see in 3d (like Avatar, Transformers 3, etc).

We don't have any "value show", other than the matinee showings, which is everything before 6pm. It is like 3 bucks cheaper, though.

LfCpS3

Master Poster
May 22, 2009
For me it depends.

Serious movies or movies that have a very compelling and a story that you need to understand, i prefer to get on DVD but comedy films and action films are more fun to watch in the cinema.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Apart from the occasional mother with a crying baby scenario, I really haven't experienced a lot of bad movie theater experiences. But I think I would much rather watch movies over the internet... unless an advertisement randomly pops up with the sound of a crying baby. Wait, what? Save me, AdBlock! o_O

But yeah, if I really like them, I'll go out of my way to purchase a physical copy. Unfortunately, online movie/television show streaming sites like Netflix don't actually allow you to watch a lot of the good stuff online. The way I see it, we're moving towards a society that pretty much does everything online. That isn't to say that everyone is going to have access to the internet but I think most people would prefer watching movies online.

saleenf5

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2007
For me it depends on the movie. A movie like inception I want to see in my house comfortable, transformers in theater.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="saleenf5, post: 5699213]For me it depends on the movie. A movie like inception I want to see in my house comfortable, transformers in theater.[/QUOTE]
I actually saw Inception in theaters and I have to say that it was one of the best movie experiences I had. There were hardly any distractions. I also remember watching The Dark Knight in theaters and it was the same thing. It's probably because they were both really good movies.

wesmore24

Forum Elder
Sep 9, 2010
@the bball court
Movies are awesome. The experience would be better if you bring along some friends.

I hate watching movies at home because my dad is insane, every line spoken, he says something.

Usually at the movies, the only annoyance is my dad, when we watched the last HP movie on first release, he said outloud "This shit is fake", and he left the movie :snicker. Also, half the time he is either snoring or talking on the phone. Bring a friend or two, or a girlfriend with you to the movies, and you may have a better time.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="wesmore24, post: 5699224]Usually at the movies, the only annoyance is my dad, when we watched the last HP movie on first release, he said outloud "This shit is fake", and he left the movie :snicker.[/QUOTE]
Why did I just picture this man as your father?

wesmore24

Forum Elder
Sep 9, 2010
@the bball court
[QUOTE="Blacksite, post: 5699228]Why did I just picture this man as your father?

[/QUOTE]Just a little wider, and with a bunch of tattoos, besides that, not bad, not bad at all. :snicker

Last edited:

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Phones, there is always some bastard on a phone.
Another bastard kicking my seat.
Someone that is 12 foot tall sits in front with a hat on.
Fat people grazing their noisy crisps/chips or slurping their drink
Not enough leg room.

Yes I love going to the movies too.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
meh, I get the same experience at my house and on top of that I can get better popcorn compared tot he movie theater. I barely ever go to the movies and there are a few reasons for that.

1.) even thought you paid probably over $25.00 for movie and food, you have to keep quiet.

2.) If i have to go to the bathroom I can't pause it and on top of that i have to shimmy my way through a space that even a flag poll wouldn't fit through.

3.) expensive food and on top of the I can get better popcorn then the crap they get.

I just have a better experience watching a movie on my home theater set then going to an overpriced movie with overpriced popcorn and a cramped sitting style.

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
I'm barely ever bothered to go to the movies.

I only go for either a date, or if my friends all wanna go and I just go for the sake of it.

The last few years, for most movies, even the ones I REALLY wanted to see, ie Tron, I just waited for the Blu Ray

TRF

Dedicated Member
Jun 1, 2010
n00 y4wk
ps3nation.roflforum.com
I love going to the movies. I go all the time (over the course of this year, I've seen 24 movies in theaters). Unfortunately, my usual theater closed down last month so I'm stuck going to my local theater which only shows 4 movies at a time. The good thing is that it's cheap ($4.00 on Tuesdays and $8.50 any other day, then of course there's the matinee price which I can't remember). The only downside to this theater is that the showrooms are small and usually crowded, but generally I don't have issues with the people I sit with. The only big issue I had recently was back in August when I went to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes with my friend and I sat next to a smoker (she obviously wasn't smoking at the time, but she most likely had a smoke right outside the building before coming in). The smell was really bad.

darky89

Forum Sage
Dec 3, 2007
In the bushes.
Yeah, it's pretty hit and miss.
I remember when I saw Avatar 3D in the cinema. I didn't enjoy it so much as I was sat near someone that smelled... and someone that breathed really heavily. I was distracted throughout. I definitely enjoyed it more at home.

And like others have said, sometimes the sound can be off, it can be too hot or too cold.
But then there are times where people are generally quiet and well behaved, and the sound is good and the temperature is good. And it can be a better experience than watching something at home.

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
It all depends on what the movie is. If it's just a bog-standard comedy or something like that, I'll wait for a BR quality copy to appear on The Pirate Bay and download it. If, however, it's a film I'm really interested in seeing then I'll go and see it in the cinema. I've seen both parts of Deathly Hallows in the cinema, as well as attending the opening night of The Dark Knight. The latter viewing was awesome, everyone was so in to the film, only thing that ruined it for me was some idiot on the other side of the cinema standing up and cheering Batman on. I think he may have had mental issues though.

Dec 23, 2010
If I could find an HD projector that could produce a high quality image at 120" and could project 3D movies and games, I wouldn't step foot in a theater again.

Tutankhamun

Ultimate Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
twitter.com
The overall experience of going to the movies typically isn't great, the problem is most people like to watch a movie on their own terms. It is nice to be able to pause and go the bathroom or make some popcorn. The move industry HAVE TO invest heavily in releasing movies legally for viewing at home at the same time as they go up in the cinema - this is the future. Otherwise they'll be cannibalized by illegal downloading even more than they are being today, just like the music industry was before iTunes saved them. You ought to be able to legally rent or download a movie the same day it comes out on the cinema, that's just common sense.

Personally, I don't hate going to the movies but I don't love it either - for me it is about the company if I'm going with a friend or on a date I enjoy it but I'd never go alone. Rather wait for the blu-ray if possible.

spyrde

Master Guru
Feb 18, 2009
Finland
I love movies! Seeing a movie with friends on a giant screen, with great sound and quality is amazing! Sometimes though, a quiet movie night at home can be a better choice.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
I like going to the movies but to me the price just isn't worth it. I like the atmosphere of the theater but otherwise I'm fine with just waiting for the dvd. The only time I really go is if I really want to see something. Last 2 I've been to the theaters to see was Hangover 2 and Sucker Punch just to show you how much I go. Usually about 2-3 times a year max.

Dec 23, 2010
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 5699854]Flicker, I forgot flicker, I can see it since its only 24fps, it hurts my eyes after a while.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean stutter, because movie projector shutters open and close at 72FPS, not 24FPS. It would be extremely unlikely that you saw the flicker of the shutter opening and closing at that speed.

Now, if you meant stutter, where the motion on screen isn't smooth, then yes, I would agree with that. However, that isn't corrected at a home theater since the frame rate of the movie is still limited to the 24FPS it was originally filmed at, and then some frames are simply duplicated and shown more than once to synch the frame rate of the movie with the television screen. The main reason you don't notice it as much at home is simply because the screen is so much smaller.

Versus

Dedicated Member
Mar 6, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Tutankhamun, post: 5699562]The overall experience of going to the movies typically isn't great, the problem is most people like to watch a movie on their own terms. It is nice to be able to pause and go the bathroom or make some popcorn. The move industry HAVE TO invest heavily in releasing movies legally for viewing at home at the same time as they go up in the cinema - this is the future. Otherwise they'll be cannibalized by illegal downloading even more than they are being today, just like the music industry was before iTunes saved them. You ought to be able to legally rent or download a movie the same day it comes out on the cinema, that's just common sense.

Personally, I don't hate going to the movies but I don't love it either - for me it is about the company if I'm going with a friend or on a date I enjoy it but I'd never go alone. Rather wait for the blu-ray if possible.[/QUOTE]

That's person took the words right out of Jesus Christ's mouth.

I would also like to mention, that going to see a midnight release of a movie release is 100% not worth it. Standing outside in a long ass line just to watch a 2hr movie that you could wait a few more days to see without the pain of standing there listening to jackasses talk about there pathetic lives all evening. And then it's a pain in the ass to find your seat if it's a theater that doesn't assign certain seats with the ticket (which I've never been to one of those if they even exist). I seemed to almost get screwed out of my seat when some co-workers took me to see Dark Knight on release. Something I didn't wanna do anyway.

It's nothing like getting a new video game at midnight.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="Completely Average, post: 5699860]Do you mean stutter, because movie projector shutters open and close at 72FPS, not 24FPS. It would be extremely unlikely that you saw the flicker of the shutter opening and closing at that speed.

Now, if you meant stutter, where the motion on screen isn't smooth, then yes, I would agree with that. However, that isn't corrected at a home theater since the frame rate of the movie is still limited to the 24FPS it was originally filmed at, and then some frames are simply duplicated and shown more than once to synch the frame rate of the movie with the television screen. The main reason you don't notice it as much at home is simply because the screen is so much smaller.[/QUOTE]

Unlikely isn't impossible. Its more noticeable when the scenes are bright and if I sit too close to the screen.