Dream Theater SCORE DVD

miickEe

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
www.miickee.net
I'd just like to take the time (no pun intended) to start a thread commemorating 21 years of brilliant music performed by none other than progressive-metal's finest, Dream Theater. This thread is open for discussion to all, but is intended for users to voice their opinion of the DVD either after they've seen it or their thoughts anticipating watching it. Comments unrelated such as 'Dream Theater suck' etc wont be appreciated.

It doesn't come out in Australia for another few weeks, but my parents recently went overseas and picked up a copy for us while they were in France. I've watched it a total of 3 times in the space of about 3 days. It is absolutely brilliant and if youe are a long-time or budding Dream Theater fan, it is essential to own this DVD.

In case you haven't heard, it features 3 hours of live performance, including 90 minutes performed with an orchestra. Now, I know this sounds incredibly cliche to hear that a band is performing with an orchestra, but there are so many parallels between their music and classical that it almost seems logical to do this. Admittedly and initially, in my opinion, the song-list was not what I would have chosen if I were to choose. In fact, the whole Octavarium album for me was a bit of a let-down (compared to previous works). However, after watching the DVD I have no problems with the songlisting and I have an extremely deeper appreciation for the album as a whole and the performance.

The DVD showcases 2 new songs; "Another Won" which, as I've heard, is from the sessions during the 'When Dream and Day Unite' era. The other song is 'Raise the Knife', which was written during the 'Falling Into Infinity' sessions and didn't make the cut to the final album. These songs not only are rare but extremely awesome. Any self-respecting Dream Theater fan (and fan of good music in general) would highly appreciate these songs. Songs like 'Innocence Fading' and 'The Spirit Carries On' are rarely played live and having this featured on the DVD is a massive bonus. The second set, accompanied by the orchstra, begins the 42-minute epic song featuring the entirety of the 'Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence' album, which is performed passionately and to pin-point accuracy. The 30-minute version of Octavarium, with Rudess sporting both his new Continuumm Fingerboard and flashy lap-steel guitar is brilliantly played. By the time the song gets to the climax you will have goosebumps running up and down every part of your body, I swear.

I'm not really writing a review, 'cause if I were I'd be here all night; I am merely expressing my opinions on this DVD. If any other Dream Theater fan on these forums wishes to do the same, do it in this thread. I want to know what the rest of the fanbase thought of this freakishly-awesome production.

Sep 19, 2006
FFFFFFrickin Sweet! I already have the 'Live at budokan' dvd and it totally owns all! I have been an avid theater fan for about 6 months now and its one of the best musical choices i've ever made. This band has soooo much to offer and have been doing it since the 80's, so support the cause!
Anyone who's interested, i reccommend the 'train of thought' album as a starter just because its more like traditional music of the genre and won't be much of a shock to new listeners.

Long live la brie!

miickEe

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
www.miickee.net
Alright dude, cool to hear. I like 'Train of Thought', seeing as it's a very deep and overall heavy album. In my opinion, 'When Dream and Day Unite', 'Images and Words' and 'Awake' happen to be the greatest consecutive album releases of all time.