drifting

saleenf5

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2007
does anyone else like drifting?? i really like it, just the extreme persition(sp) needed to control a car like that blows my mind.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp1YrGnTlOc"]YouTube - DRIFT SILVERSTONE 2008 HD[/ame]

best video

Nov 29, 2008
Hell Yeah! Surely the question should be "Is there anyone who DOESN'T like drifting?"

In fact, I was at the very same event as your video (the EDC at Silverstone) this year. It was pretty intense

richie217

Power Overwhelming
Dec 10, 2008
[QUOTE="iLake, post: 0]I hope those cars are rigged with some epic tires, otherwise they're in for a real beating.[/quote]

In the Aus comps they have to use road legal tyres. The tyres are pretty much ruined after one or two passes, which is why it's important for them to have a good tyre sponsor.

BigYoSpeck

Superior Member
Dec 29, 2008
Not a fan. I don't get it really. If you're going round a track sure the idea should be to do so as fast as possible. And if it's about precision then do the precision driving stuff like Russ Swift does. Seems to me like these guys can do neither at a competitive level so just show boat in glitzy cars making lots of noise and smoke.

richie217

Power Overwhelming
Dec 10, 2008
[QUOTE="BigYoSpeck, post: 0]Not a fan. I don't get it really. If you're going round a track sure the idea should be to do so as fast as possible. And if it's about precision then do the precision driving stuff like Russ Swift does. Seems to me like these guys can do neither at a competitive level so just show boat in glitzy cars making lots of noise and smoke.[/quote]

That's how drifting came about. Some Japanese races found that the quickest way around some corners was to slide/drift around them. It was a very successful technique for them. It just evolved into a sport of it's own from there.

Can you seriously not see the precision and skill required to hold a car on the verge of losing control? Not everyone can handle a car doing 150kph + with the wheel on full opposite lock.

Sep 17, 2009
Yeah. It's definitely amazing how they control those cars very smoothly at that specific speed. Damn. If only it wasnt that expensive. I want an AE86!

Uncool

Power Member
Aug 27, 2006
YouTube - Meet Keiichi Tsuchiya aka "Drift King" (Mustang Drift Ch. 3)[/ame]

It takes more skill then going on a straight line in drag races, you have to worry about so many variables such as corner entry, position, braking, whether conditions, cornering speed, steering, etc.

[QUOTE="BigYoSpeck, post: 0]Not a fan. I don't get it really. If you're going round a track sure the idea should be to do so as fast as possible. And if it's about precision then do the precision driving stuff like Russ Swift does. Seems to me like these guys can do neither at a competitive level so just show boat in glitzy cars making lots of noise and smoke.
If you don't understand it, then of course you will most likely not like it. That's human nature we fear what we don't understand. Its also not about flash either which is unfortunately how the American scene does it. In Japan they do these maneuvers in tougei's or mountain tops with two lanes with opposing traffic.

Imagine coming into a corner of an excess speed in which one mistake can equate to you tipping over a mountain side? Scary thought right? It takes an immense amount of skill to do and even when you mastered it, it doesn't mean the drifts will go according to plan. Uneven roads can cause a initial drift to nonetheless come carrening into the wall.

richie217

Power Overwhelming
Dec 10, 2008
[DT];4598176 said:
Drifting per the "sport" is certainly not the fastest way around a race track.

If you're into the show aspect of it however, great!
Drifting EVERY corner is not the quickest way around the track. I was just stating that's how it came to be.

[QUOTE="Uncool, post: 0]It takes more skill then going on a straight line in drag races, you have to worry about so many variables such as corner entry, position, braking, whether conditions, cornering speed, steering, etc.
[/quote]

Drag racing is not quite as simple as "going in a straight line". It's hard to keep a car straight when you have that many ponies trying to lite the tyres up. The thing I love about drag racing is that they push there engines that hard that 1/2 the time the break something on the launch, back to the shed to rebuild the engine for the next race in 2hours.

[DT]

Forum Guru
May 1, 2008
Vilano Beach, FL
[QUOTE="richie217, post: 0]Drifting EVERY corner is not the quickest way around the track. I was just stating that's how it came to be.
[/quote]

Drifting (per the current definition) is not the fastest way around any corner.

If you want to talk about maximizing the slip angle or rotation, that's generally outside the scope of "drifting" - any rotation past the minimal required slip angle required, or overcoming static friction (past tire deflection) resulting in kinetic friction (i.e., tire smoke) is _slower_.

I appreciate the skill and art involved, but trust me, you'll get your headlights sucked out drifting around a real racetrack (not to mention black flagged, per my tail happy demonstration at Roebling :D)

I agree about drag racing - people that dismiss the skill involved are usually the people that show up in 12 second cars and run 15s :)

saleenf5

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2007
hmm id like to see a race with a car that drifts some times an a car that doesnt, just to setle the debate over which is faster.....hmmmmm

Super_Lilith

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2006
[QUOTE="saleenf5, post: 0]hmm id like to see a race with a car that drifts some times an a car that doesnt, just to setle the debate over which is faster.....hmmmmm[/quote]

If drifting was the fastest way around the track, then the drivers would have adopted this method rather then grip in order to be faster.

igota33

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2007
Adelaide, AUS
If it's not Japanese drift, it's not worth it. Not a fan of the U.S. drift as they mainly use muscle cars to drift, WTF? Don't really get into the mustangs, the corvette, the pontiac solstice drifting, it doesn't feel right to me.

I've been following drift for probably 15 years now. Japanese touge passes are where it's at. It's easy to drift on a nice smooth and wide race track, get up to the mountains and i think you'll find Tanner crying in the corner. I hate that bloke.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KECWxOzOmMo[/ame]

Drifting is underground, it should've stayed that way.