DSO Gaming: Plenty of PS4 games also running on the PC during E3 2013

A7

Supreme Veteran
Apr 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Seems like a bad wave of news after the other... Regardless of corporation.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/report-plenty-of-ps4-games-also-running-on-the-pc-during-e3-2013/

A couple of days ago, we informed you about a pretty ‘common’ story. As CinemaBlend reported, there were a number of PCs running XBOne titles during this year’s E3. Naturally, a lot wondered whether Sony was also using our platform to showcase its titles and despite some earlier reactions from a couple of developers, it seems that PCs were also used to power some PS4 games.

In its latest podcast, Giantbomb revealed that there were a lot of PCs running PS4 games during E3 2013.

While talking about Dead Rising 3 and its current development state, Giantbomb’s editors stated that both XBOne and PS4 titles were running on PCs.

As Giantbomb’s editors claimed (1:09:05):

“Developers have plenty of good reasons to be showing games running on PCs, that’s a totally normal thing. It’s been really weird to watch Internet… everybody is freaking out about games running on PCs… plenty of PS4 games were running on PCs… all the demos of PS4 that I saw were running on PCs.”

In short, Dead Rising 3 was most obviously running on a dev kit – showcasing the current state of the game – while other titles were simply running on PCs. Now this does not mean that ALL PS4 and XBOne games were running on PCs. No, that’s not what we’re claiming.

However, it’s pretty obvious by now that games from both parties have been reported running on PCs instead of dev kits or the actual consoles. And that’s something that may disappoint console gamers the moment they get their hands on those titles, witnessing worse visuals than those advertised/showcased!

Flumbooze

Superior Member
Jun 16, 2013
Belgium
But which games then?

Then again, the fuzz about Xbox running on PC's was that they were running on PC's with much better specs than the console. Was this the case with these PC's?

Last edited:

A7

Supreme Veteran
Apr 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
According to the Gaintbomb editor:

“Developers have plenty of good reasons to be showing games running on PCs, that’s a totally normal thing. It’s been really weird to watch Internet… everybody is freaking out about games running on PCs…
I guess it's normal...

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
It's not like Giant Bomb don't have a history of exaggeration. 'Plenty of PS4 games' probably means one or two multiplatform games at Ubisoft's booth.

Dec 25, 2006
But he was holding a PS4 controller.:lol:

It obvious why some use a PC with higher end hardware, I mean it E3, who the fuck want framerate/screen tearing and lesser graphic(compare to high end PC) to show case their game when they been saying shit like "PS4 is the PC of 2014/2015".:cupcake:

new slogan: "PS4 is like the PC of 2014/2015 because that what we used at E3, a damn PC"

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Soldier 95B, post: 6122348]So it's ok now? Or not?[/QUOTE] Depends on whether or not the GPU was way more powerful than what will be in the retail unit like it was with the Xbone demo units. A devkit is supposed to have similar specs on the GPU and CPU as the retail unit. The extra RAM is for debugging so thats expected.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="radgamer420, post: 6122360]Depends on whether or not the GPU was way more powerful than what will be in the retail unit like it was with the Xbone demo units. A devkit is supposed to have similar specs on the GPU and CPU as the retail unit. The extra RAM is for debugging so thats expected.[/QUOTE]
The extra Ram is for all the multi-tasking and I don't think there is a rule saying you can't use a higher spec GPU for your target visuals.

S

Soldier 95B

[QUOTE="radgamer420, post: 6122360]Depends on whether or not the GPU was way more powerful than what will be in the retail unit like it was with the Xbone demo units. A devkit is supposed to have similar specs on the GPU and CPU as the retail unit. The extra RAM is for debugging so thats expected.[/QUOTE]

Well it looks like that is the norm. The Xbone and PSbore are no different.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Soldier 95B, post: 6122385]Well it looks like that is the norm. The Xbone and PSbore are no different.[/QUOTE] We dont know what was inside the PS4 kits but we do know that Xbone demo kits had an Nvidia GPU that was quite a bit more powerful than the AMD GPU that the Xbone retail unit will have. So you really cant say PS4 was no different. We dont really know.

Jabjabs

Elite Guru
May 10, 2006
www.superderp.com
Most of the time these games are demoed on a PC, this is how most XB360 games in mid development are demoed even today. The real issue is how they will perform on the final product.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
If these PCs were running top of the line graphics cards then no it's not alright. I like how anytime something is similar coming out there is someone who comes out with some snide comment about if its OK because it's Sony. If Sony was running $1000 graphics cards on the PCs that after running the game it's just as shady. Running on PCs is not new to e3. To my knowledge running them on top of the line PCs is. I could be wrong in thinking that but most people naturally missed the point of the negativity towards what MS had running. If Sony did it as well, they don't get a fucking free pass as so many think they will get because it's Sony.

S

Soldier 95B

[QUOTE="ps3freak18, post: 6122713]If these PCs were running top of the line graphics cards then no it's not alright. I like how anytime something is similar coming out there is someone who comes out with some snide comment about if its OK because it's Sony. If Sony was running $1000 graphics cards on the PCs that after running the game it's just as shady. Running on PCs is not new to e3. To my knowledge running them on top of the line PCs is. I could be wrong in thinking that but most people naturally missed the point of the negativity towards what MS had running. If Sony did it as well, they don't get a fucking free pass as so many think they will get because it's Sony.[/QUOTE]

The PC's generally have more ram and faster CPU/GPU as they are running a full fledged OS along with the game. Windows is bloated garbage. It needs all the power it can get to run lol.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Soldier 95B, post: 6122734]The PC's generally have more ram and faster CPU/GPU as they are running a full fledged OS along with the game. Windows is bloated garbage. It needs all the power it can get to run lol.[/QUOTE]

I can understand using a better card but a Titan?! Bit over kill.

S

Soldier 95B

[QUOTE="ps3freak18, post: 6122743]I can understand using a better card but a Titan?! Bit over kill.[/QUOTE]

Shit is all alpha code and inefficient. Probably need all the help they can get in those PS4 and X1 dev kits.

Old Man Gamer

Superior Member
Jul 15, 2012
There are no sources and no games named. Sounds like a PR stunt by MS. Unless they can give specifics, it's all FUD with no confirmation.

JDizzleNO1

Superior Member
May 15, 2011
where the sun don't shine
so if this is the norm...then why is it news? i don't get it...we don't know if it was running on a pc with far better specs do we? why speculate then....the games are going to look amazing i don't care what they say. lets just wait and see i guess

VayMasters86

Dedicated Member
Sep 13, 2007
Non-sarcastic question, the PC's running Xbone/PS4 games, maybe the higher specs were trying to take into account custom hardware?

Isn't it common for games this far out to still be refined by launch?

JDizzleNO1

Superior Member
May 15, 2011
where the sun don't shine
[QUOTE="VayMasters86, post: 6122823]Non-sarcastic question, the PC's running Xbone/PS4 games, maybe the higher specs were trying to take into account custom hardware?

Isn't it common for games this far out to still be refined by launch?[/QUOTE]

good question i'd like to know this as well

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Old Man Gamer, post: 6122774]There are no sources and no games named. Sounds like a PR stunt by MS. Unless they can give specifics, it's all FUD with no confirmation.[/QUOTE]