EA Acquires Bioware and Pandemic

CodenameD

Dedicated Member
Dec 16, 2007
Pandemic, BioWare Officially Acquired
Pandemic's Josh Resnick tells us why he's excited to be adopted by EA.
by Daemon Hatfield

January 7, 2008 - Today Electronic Arts announced it has completed the acquisition of both Pandemic and BioWare. The studios will be overseen by Frank Gibeau, President of EA Games. The heads of both developers (Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk of BioWare and Andrew Goldman and Josh Resnick of Pandemic) have all been named Vice Presidents of EA.

Fans of both studios have expressed concern over the formerly independent teams joining a corporate behemoth. IGN spoke with Josh Resnick, co-founder and co-general manager of Pandemic, to see if these fears are founded.

IGN: What would you say to fans who are worried about Pandemic losing its independence?

Resnick: The most important thing for us as a studio is our creative independence and maintaining our brand; keeping our momentum going; keeping our culture intact. I gotta say: EA gets it. John [Riccitiello, CEO of Electronic Arts] certainly gets that and they have really remained true to their commitment of allowing us to focus on our products. I hate to put it in these terms but we're kind of having our cake and eating it, too. We still get to remain true to everything that makes us who we are as Pandemic, yet get all the benefits of being in a larger organization that a company like EA offers.

IGN: Will EA be handling your PR and marketing?

Resnick: EA really believes in the 'label model' in terms of building up the resources of the developer. We're putting even more emphasis on our marketing and PR capabilities at a local level at Pandemic. Having said that, EA has some fantastic resources available to us across the whole organization, not just marketing and PR. We're certainly going to leverage that on a worldwide basis.

IGN: What are the biggest perks of the deal for Pandemic?

Josh Resnick, co-founder and co-general manager of Pandemic
Resnick: The number one thing I'm excited about is simply focus. I get to focus on making great games. A lot of things that used to be distractions for us -- EA is partnering with us to help out.

Pandemic has always had a history of really treating our talent well and having excellent benefit programs. I realized recently that EA has an astounding benefits program. It has gone beyond what I expected. We get a lot of extra niceties being a part of the EA benefits program that weren't available to us previously as a sole developer.

Basically what they're telling us is, 'Look, here's all the services that we have as part of the EA family – you guys opt in. Pick and choose what you think will strengthen your teams.' So the good message to consumers is, if anything, we're a stronger company now than we were before the transaction.

IGN: Will the acquisition be transparent to the consumer?

Resnick: At the end of the day, their favorite teams are working on the same games. We have a great lineup in store for them -- we've only announced a couple of our products. They should be just as excited as they were beforehand. Now, my hope is I get to reach an even bigger audience and make an even bigger impact than we were able to before.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/843/843802p1.html

M

modus

Do you live in the past or do you just like to post things that happened months ago? And who cares if they got purchased by EA, EA is publishing not developing. Plus the titles coming out this year look amazing.

Fekz

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2006
[QUOTE="modus, post: 0]Do you live in the past or do you just like to post things that happened months ago? And who cares if they got purchased by EA, EA is publishing not developing. Plus the titles coming out this year look amazing.[/QUOTE]

January 7, 2008 - Today Electronic Arts announced it has completed the acquisition of both Pandemic and BioWare.

Reading is fundamental. Don't get mad 'cause there's the possibility your favorite console might lose a few exclusives.

CodenameD

Dedicated Member
Dec 16, 2007
[QUOTE="modus, post: 0]Do you live in the past or do you just like to post things that happened months ago? [/quote]
Were you born with that rod up your rear? I mean i think the obvious answer is that i didnt know. No harm no foul, not a big enough deal slip in and work on your bland attempts at cracking on someone.

And who cares if they got purchased by EA, EA is publishing not developing. Plus the titles coming out this year look amazing.
Then they must be if you endorsed it. lol Either way I just posted the article, you are talking to me as if i had a comment or wrote it myself. Sorry to disappoint. :sleep:

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="chartwel, post: 0]wasnt this talked about a lot a month ago when it was first announced?[/QUOTE]

Yea that's what I thought when I saw the name... but in the article it's saying that they just now completed it so it's 100% now. Sometimes people need to make sure they read the article before posting. Not just you... but the dozens of other people that do it as well. I mean... I almost did it too but I made sure I read the article first before I told the guy he was a few weeks late.

Nov 10, 2007
I'm hoping this news isn't as bad as it sounds to ps3 owners. With all the recent talk of the ps3 being the lead development platform, coupled with direct complaints from customers, EA may step up it's work on ps3 titles. If I remember correctly Burnout Paradise is being developed on the ps3 first and everything else second. Could be a new trend from EA

M

modus

[QUOTE="Fekz, post: 2355126]Reading is fundamental. Don't get mad 'cause there's the possibility your favorite console might lose a few exclusives.[/quote]
What are you talking about? Lose exclusives? Since when has EA had exclusives on consoles.

And this was reported an extremely long time ago that these two companies were purchased.

rpgmaster1

Superior Member
Dec 19, 2006
EA just has the money to buy out small developers and they can't refuse the $. Seriously, can EA make more crappy games and ports to the PS3? What's worse is that the reviewers seem to favor the 360 version over the PS3 counterparts. EA must have plenty of money from gamers who are stupid enough to buy their inferior software. Some are good, but most are awful.

Feb 12, 2007
I want to know what the story with Mass Effect 2 is. I hate RPG's but I'd be interested to see what console(s) it is on considering EA now owns BioWare. Anyone know the terms?

M

modus

[QUOTE="Colsworl™, post: 0]I want to know what the story with Mass Effect 2 is. I hate RPG's but I'd be interested to see what console(s) it is on considering EA now owns BioWare. Anyone know the terms?[/quote]

BioWare said Mass Effect is still going to be 360 exclusive. Pretty sure Microsoft is still going to publish the series.

Dec 10, 2007
[QUOTE="modus, post: 0]BioWare said Mass Effect is still going to be 360 exclusive. Pretty sure Microsoft is still going to publish the series.[/quote]

Don't be so sure about that doesn't make much sense not too push them multi platform from EA's standpoint. It's ok though they will use the PS3 superior capabilities and make a pretty nice port for the Xbox.

Lose exclusives? what are you talking about?
You know what they are talking about, I could tell the way you were crying up there. :p

Doesn't mean bad things EA can't make games that are worthwhile in house anymore they have proven that. Maybe these smaller better companies can breath some life into them.

M

modus

[QUOTE="porkins, post: 0]Don't be so sure about that doesn't make much sense not too push them multi platform from EA's standpoint. It's ok though they will use the PS3 superior capabilities and make a pretty nice port for the Xbox.[/quote]

BioWare has said they are not porting the Mass Effect series to any other console. It is 360 Exclusive.

Sino

Super Elite
Apr 14, 2006
MS lost some pretty close allies. First Bungie, then Bizarre,but the biggest of them all is Bioware. You can pay Bungie money for exclusvies because they are indepedent, but Bioware belongs to EA now. For Bioware, it's pretty much you can keep whatever prior commitments you have but once it's done all you games will be mulitplatform. I think MS will buy Team NInja pretty soon, maybe looking to buy Rockstar.

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
I dont really care for Mass Effect being exclusive or not. I get to play it either way. ;) Personally though, I find it ahrd to believe that EA buying a company (and subsequently its property) and keeping the profits to simply one market (the 360).

That's just not EA at all. Perhaps Ubi, but not EA.

Sino

Super Elite
Apr 14, 2006
[QUOTE="admartian, post: 0]I dont really care for Mass Effect being exclusive or not. I get to play it either way. ;) Personally though, I find it hard to believe that EA buying a company (and subsequently its property) and keeping the profits to simply one market (the 360).

That's just not EA at all. Perhaps Ubi, but not EA.[/QUOTE]

I think EA is giving Bioware some freedom, there is always the honeymoon period in the beginning for everything.

BTW, we need you verdict on Gears, Forza 2 and Viva Pinata.

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
[QUOTE="modus, post: 0]Do you live in the past or do you just like to post things that happened months ago? And who cares if they got purchased by EA, EA is publishing not developing. Plus the titles coming out this year look amazing.[/quote]

The problem is that EA are money whores.
Do you remember a company called Bullfrog? (Theme Park, Theme Hospital (early 90's)They were once upon a time my favourite game developers. EA bought them released a title or two (that were really crap and non-imaginative.. EA's usual) and now they have vanished, swallowed by EA.

Or more recently, do you remember the fight night series? EA has killed that too.

Many many others have vanished, expect to see a few of Biowares/Pandemics titles go the same way.

Ever notice how EA's new Burnout title and EA's old Need for Speed title are going in the same direction now? They were once two completely different games but now they are becoming more alike to one another, know why? EA ruins titles.

End of story

M

modus

[QUOTE="Bitbydeath, post: 0]The problem is that EA are money whores.
Do you remember a company called Bullfrog? (Theme Park, Theme Hospital (early 90's)They were once upon a time my favorite game developers. EA bought them released a title or two (that were really crap and non-imaginative.. EA's usual) and now they have vanished, swallowed by EA.

Or more recently, do you remember the fight night series? EA has killed that too.

Many many others have vanished, expect to see a few of Biowares/Pandemics titles go the same way.

Ever notice how EA's new Burnout title and EA's old Need for Speed title are going in the same direction now? They were once two completely different games but now they are becoming more alike to one another, know why? EA ruins titles.

End of story[/quote]

Developers ruin titles, not publishers. And it seems a lot of people like the new Burnout Paradise game, they like the way it's going and it's just a demo so what's the big deal. And how is the new NFS title anything like the new Burnout title? NFS Pro Street has nothing to do with street racing like Burnout now, it's all tracks.

Army of Two looks fantastic and it was delayed for more development. Spore is going to be an amazing game and every game which has came out from Maxis after they were purchased by EA has been great and the Sims 2 series is still being purchased at an amazing rate. It's been on the Top 10 PC Title list for an extremely long time now.

Battlefield Bad Company is another great game which is being made by Dice.

jubeininja69

Elite Member
Jul 23, 2007
i fully support this.

that means games might go multiplatform than games never going multi platform if EA didn't snatch these companies up.

Dec 31, 2007
No, EA is not the Microsoft of gaming, they are the Yankees of the gaming industry. Most of no one is beyond their buying reach.
Coming 2011 the Electronic Arts Sabbat Console.

Dec 10, 2007
[QUOTE="modus, post: 0]BioWare has said they are not porting the Mass Effect series to any other console. It is 360 Exclusive.[/quote]

For now, never say never.