EA Announces Rory McIlroy PGA Tour

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
There's a new cover athlete in town.

After a one-year hiatus, Electronic Arts' golf franchise is back in the form of Rory McIlroy PGA Tour, the publisher announced today.

Prior to the game's recent absence, famed golfer Tiger Woods was the cover athlete for the franchise, until he signed a 2013 deal with Zynga Sports 365. McIlroy, the No. 1-ranked golfer in the world at the moment, will adorn the new cover when the golfing game releases in June for PS4 and Xbox One.

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour isn't a numbered entry, so it's unclear if it will be annualized like the Tiger Woods titles were, and aside from the release window and platforms, not much else is known about the golfing game. In a press release, however, EA touted the Frostbite Engine as a welcome change to the golfing formula. The engine allows for realistic depictions of real-world courses, detailed fairways and greens, and new modes and features, the last of which have yet to be specified, EA said.

Stay tuned to IGN as new features are announced for Rory McIlroy PGA Tour before its June release
Screenshots -

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
[QUOTE="Admartian, post: 6431345]Should've stayed with Wozniacki bro.[/QUOTE]

What's she to do with EA Golf game lol

Rory's Private life his choice leave it as that!

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Why?! Just make EA Pga tour golf. What will you do if Rory Drops off? Just seems unnecessary. It was Tiger Woods. It became about as recognizable as Madden. Once they dropped it, should have just left it alone.

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
EA seem to have made a successful game from its golf with Tiger Woods but not all of them were great 04/07 were the best games for me not because of the TW name cause of the gameplay an modes! It's been a while since EAs last PGA Tour game after what happend with TWs life.

The game imo hopefully will be good Rorys name on the cover isn't meaning but Golf is. Just hope to see some gameplay over the next month, if its any good ill buy it.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Last PGA tour game I played was good but I could never win even on easy, maybe I was just crap but I even purchased some of the best clubs and attributes and even then I was lucky if I came in the top 4 lol!

I do enjoy playing Golf games though so might have to give this a shot when it's released, looks quite pretty too!

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
Had a lot of fun with previous TW golf games, especially with freinds. Not sure I've got the interest nowadays though. I sure some will though. They are good golf games. Very relaxing to play too.

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
[QUOTE="nextgen3, post: 6431530]EA seem to have made a successful game from its golf with Tiger Woods but not all of them were great 04/07 were the best games for me not because of the TW name cause of the gameplay an modes! It's been a while since EAs last PGA Tour game after what happend with TWs life.

The game imo hopefully will be good Rorys name on the cover isn't meaning but Golf is. Just hope to see some gameplay over the next month, if its any good ill buy it.[/QUOTE]

Rory McIlroy has been increasing quite rapidly in popularity.

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
[QUOTE="Bigdoggy, post: 6431641]Rory McIlroy has been increasing quite rapidly in popularity.[/QUOTE]

I know, but there's a lot of fans asking why Rory!! But some would of rathered just PGA Tour!! But imo I look it as a golf game first an foremost.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Bigdoggy, post: 6431641]Rory McIlroy has been increasing quite rapidly in popularity.[/QUOTE]

Yeah he has but he's been up and down his entire career. Honestly don't see him having the type of career Tiger did but he is very good. I just figured they would learn their lesson after what happened with Tiger. I'm fine with having cover athletes but why name the game after the best. They don't call Fifa, Messi's Fifa lol.

It's not make or break about the game it's just imo the stupid business tactics.

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
To be honest, every player that is playing golf should have their ups and downs. The difference here between someone like Rory and Tiger Woods is that Tiger Woods experienced a great length in "ups" vs downs. Tiger Woods is now experiencing the down, I get much more entertainment watching other golfers than Tiger Woods. For Rory McIlroy to be on the cover of PGA, I think it's good actually. Golf as of now is much more entertaining compared to when Tiger Woods was dominating the courses. There is much more stuff going on, more excitment happening and much more anger from the golfers. The game has been quite enjoyable to watch on TV. I like to golf outside of work, but maybe that's why I like watching it. I've just noticed much more entertainment now Vs. Golf when Tiger Woods was owning everyone.

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
Just to give a word out on some of the following-:

* Released July 14th
* its not a yearly Title
* Will Include Free content updates post-launch

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour won't include The Masters
EA's license with Augusta National has expired, confirms the publisher, The game's Twitter account also noted that EA is "exploring" the idea of adding Augusta National as DLC.

14 Courses/13 without Pre-Ordering = 8 Standard Courses 9 if pre-ordered, 5 Fantasy courses
12 Real life golfers
5 Fake golfers

Courses

Standard:

•TPC Sawgrass
•TPC Boston
•TPC Scottsdale (pre-order course)
•St. Andrews
•Whistling Straits
•Bay Hill
•Royal Troon
•Wolf Creek
•Chambers Bay

Fantasy Courses:

•Coyote Falls
•Parcel Storm
•Lighthouse Pointe
•Wetlands

Golfers :

Real

•Rory McIlroy
•Jordan Spieth
•Miguel Angel Jimenez
•Ian Poulter
•Hunter Mahan
•Brandt Snedeker
•Keegan Bradley
•Rickie Fowler
•Jonas Blixt
•Jason Dufner
•Patrick Rodgers
•Martin Kaymer

Fake

•Laser Logan
•Battlefield Soldier
•Pops Masterson
•Edna Masterson
•Nevada Smith

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2014
It's out as a timed demo on the XB1. I've read that it's choppy, and those who've played it aren't happy. So I'm going to wait a couple of weeks after its release on the PS4 to see how it plays.

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
[QUOTE="Highway Star, post: 6459788]It's out as a timed demo on the XB1. I've read that it's choppy, and those who've played it aren't happy. So I'm going to wait a couple of weeks after its release on the PS4 to see how it plays.[/QUOTE]

Demos suck

Andy

Apprentice
May 25, 2014
Impressions are mixed, from what I've heard. This is the kind of game I'll pick up for $20 or 30, a year from now, when I've got time for a golf game. I enjoy golf games but I'm not a hardcore golfer, so I just play them to relax, as a change of pace.

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
Oh well I've pre-ordered it now I shall wait 3 more days until it releases. Just hope it's good dispite lack of things!! Hope the free post launch DLC will be good better add something great.

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6459906]So it's not Tiger Woods with Rory in it. That's what I figured they were doing.[/QUOTE]
Lol but TW is in top 100s now but I guess he be added in DLC or update.

An those who played a demo or so stop mixing it with the final product is totally different imo. Demos are crap anyways. An stop mixing EA access with a physical disk 2totally different things. EA access I don't or wouldn't want be anywhere near that service.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Was hoping they would release a demo so I could try before I buy but that looks highly unlikely, shall just grab it later in the year now when the price drops a little!

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6460516]Was hoping they would release a demo so I could try before I buy but that looks highly unlikely, shall just grab it later in the year now when the price drops a little![/QUOTE]

They did have a trail demo for 12 hours on XBO only cause of the deal with EA Access, many feel let down but tbh they aren't thinking, this is not a yearly title it gonna build & build with updates & DLC bit like Driveclub are doing.

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
[QUOTE="berts08, post: 6460768]Pick this up on Thursday :)[/QUOTE]

EA been confusing me through out last week lol release date is Thursday 16th July for UK, not sure why kept saying 14th oh well I'll pick it up Thursday now.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
The game does not have The Masters, or Tiger Woods. I think EA should knock the price to $39.99