EA bans Dragon Age 2 user from playing his own game

Feb 1, 2011
Lucky 38
A recent purchaser of Dragon Age 2 was shocked when he realized he couldn't play his game due to a Forum Ban he recieved on the Dragon Age 2 message boards.

The player recieved a 72 hour ban from the Bioware social community, but not only did it prevent his from posting on the website, Ea locked him out from playing his game.

I think this is disgusting. Getting banned from posting is accpetable punishment. But to prevent someone from playing their game on their console at home is takling thing a huge step too far.

Links: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Dragon-Age-2-Ban-Hammer-PC-gaming-RPG-Terms-And-Conditions,12371.html

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6459941

What's your opinion on this?

Feb 1, 2011
Lucky 38
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 5468536]Use sperate logins for game and forums, is that possible?[/QUOTE]

Not sure. I guess you probably could (?rly not sure?)), but then he'd be playing on an account without his trophies/achievements, if that did work.
Regardless EA shouldn't have that kind of authority over someones game they paid cash for imo.

Jan 9, 2011
[QUOTE="Mr.House, post: 5468540]
Regardless EA shouldn't have that kind of authority over someones game they paid cash for imo.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
HAHA loophole, while it's in user agreement it wouldn't hold up at all in court. However, it would be a dumb thing to sue over, but at the same time only certain things are legal in a user agreement while others are not solid legal but are their to turn you away from doing whatever, even though it wouldn't hold up. hmmm, either way, that is a pretty **** thing to do to a person that bought a game, supporting EA and Bioware. The comment he made shouldn't have been ban worthy either. I don't buy games that bioware makes after DA:O, but as sensitive as they are to comments such as that guys, I would most likely never be able to play.

Bunch of sensitive Nancy's over there. Damn emo companies.

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008
A member of staff from BioWare commented that the game ban was an error on their part and apparently it was reversed. However. The sheer fact that their system is set up to do such a thing is very concerning.

Feb 1, 2011
Lucky 38
[QUOTE="*goo, post: 5468589]A member of staff from BioWare commented that the game ban was an error on their part and apparently it was reversed. However. The sheer fact that their system is set up to do such a thing is very concerning.[/QUOTE]

I believe you but I want to read more. Do you have a link?
After reading the response from the mod (or admin) in that thread, far as I can tell; everytime someone gets reported on the site by way of the "Report Post" button, they are automatically considered for suspension of their EA brand games.
This is going waaaaaaay too far.

Feb 1, 2011
Lucky 38
[QUOTE="*goo, post: 5468610]Sure can, here it is. A correction though, it was EA staff; not BioWare.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/11/ea-retracts-game-ban-for-forum-violation/

This whole thing has absolutely affected my perception on buying EA games that have content tied to a forum account.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. So they say it was a glitch...
But the response he got on the forum seemed quite matter-of-fact. Some mod talking out of his butt I guess.
I could only see them actually stopping your game if you were caught modding or cheating on a game or something.

EDIT: The mod who responded to him said this citing specific sections of the TOS:
"2. EA Community bans come down from a different department and are the result of someone hitting the REPORT POST button. These bans can affect access to your game and/or DLC."

So basically...they are reserving the "right" to do this to people. This issue isn't over because they gave this kid his lolly-pop back. They're saying if you break the TOS on the forums, you can get locked out fo your games and DLC.
Still a hot issue far as I can see.

Last edited:

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
Oh, EA. Just when we start thinking they're getting better they burn another orphanage. Way to scare away your customers like that.

Jul 24, 2008
He purchased the game. They have no right to do that. I know its only 3 days, but its not a matter of patience - its a matter of having the audacity to prevent someone from playing a game that they bought. Dragon Origins isn't even an online game, is it?

Wrath

Master Guru
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
IT WAS A MISTAKE, alright?! And they publicly admitted it as well! It has obviously not happened to anyone else (or it would be all over the news) and I'm pretty sure he wasn't the only guy that got banned from their homepage during this time. So, if anything, those other guys would have been server-banned as well.

So stop your whining already!

Last edited:

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008
It may well have been an error in this case but the fact remains, their system has been built to deprive you access to your legally purchased content; if EA choose to do so.

That's something that in my view, as a paying customer; I should be concerned about.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
I'm pretty sure you've only licensed to play that game, and you don't really own it; much like you don't actually own your PS3... I'm sure I've read that somewhere around here. So, really, they are perfectly in their right to keep you from playing a game you've only licensed from them. ;)

Minnzy

Super Elite
Sep 8, 2006
Well as many have stated, he should have simply been happy he had a coaster, just like those many thousands who bought Settlers 7 and had to wait for someone to finish twiddling their thumbs

Dec 25, 2006
[QUOTE="Rapture, post: 5468690]Oh, EA. Just when we start thinking they're getting better they burn another orphanage. Way to scare away your customers like that.[/QUOTE]

EA is still EA from years ago, they just put out new faces to fool gamer. The ******* that sit behind the desk, drinking champagn on a yacht is still there controlling everything.

on topic:

I never like the whole EA account ****, only teenager and the facebook generation like the idea of linking all their information and account together.

if u need an EA account to play game and accessing DLC then ur just asking to be digital ****ed by them. it just a matter of when.:lol:

Feb 1, 2011
Lucky 38
[QUOTE="Wrath, post: 5468970]IT WAS A MISTAKE, alright?! And they publicly admitted it as well! It has obviously not happened to anyone else (or it would be all over the news) and I'm pretty sure he wasn't the only guy that got banned from their homepage during this time. So, if anything, those other guys would have been server-banned as well.

So stop your whining already![/QUOTE]

You sound angry.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5468983]I'm pretty sure you've only licensed to play that game, and you don't really own it; much like you don't actually own your PS3... I'm sure I've read that somewhere around here. So, really, they are perfectly in their right to keep you from playing a game you've only licensed from them. ;)[/QUOTE]

lmao that was a perfect response.

xBSGeorge

Elite Member
Oct 13, 2007
OK NEW IDEA - It will stop the Fanboy Wars.

PS3Forums works out a deal with MS and Sony and when you get banned here you get banned from Both your pSN and Xbox live accounts. This way when you bash either system you don't get to play yours anymore. HAHA

Nobel Peace Prize coming my way!

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
[QUOTE="Wrath, post: 5468970]IT WAS A MISTAKE, alright?! And they publicly admitted it as well! It has obviously not happened to anyone else (or it would be all over the news) and I'm pretty sure he wasn't the only guy that got banned from their homepage during this time. So, if anything, those other guys would have been server-banned as well.

[video=youtube;Kmv3WlKa6U8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmv3WlKa6U8[/video]

clean515

Elite Guru
Oct 11, 2007
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5468983]I'm pretty sure you've only licensed to play that game, and you don't really own it; much like you don't actually own your PS3... I'm sure I've read that somewhere around here. So, really, they are perfectly in their right to keep you from playing a game you've only licensed from them. ;)[/QUOTE]

Except they can't do that in most countries, US maybe but it's completely against our law here.

No I won't, this is terrible and just shows how the consumers rights are getting ****ed over by the gaming industry.

Dwenny

Apprentice
May 26, 2007
Wow, very harsh. Like a sixty dollar fine that you get duped into. That is some dirty pool. :(

Last edited: