EA Dismisses Fears That Action-Packed Dead Space 2 Won't Be Scary

Teraspark

Mostly Indifferent
Nov 4, 2009
Staffordshire
The first Dead Space was quiet, too quiet. That, fans have said, is why they like it. That, fans have said, is why they worry a little about the louder, forthcoming sequel. Dead Space 2, we've reported before, will make players feel more heroic and powerful than they did in the original 2008 EA space horror game. A better armed, more independent-minded Dead Space hero Isaac Clarke is a less scared Isaac Clarke, no?

"The horror is there," Kevin Kimball, a product marketer at the game's publisher, Electronic Arts, said while playing through a dynamic section of the game at a nightclub demo in New York last week. There will be big hero moments, he said, while having Isaac do a controllable high altitude dive from a space station (a scene we've witnessed before.) There will be these loud moments, but thanks to what Kimball says is "much better pacing" there will be scares.

"There will be moments," he said, "Where you'll be walking around and there there's not much going on. You'll wonder what is going on, expect something to jump out at you and it won't. And then we'll hit you with a big scare." His description makes the game sound just a little more like the suspenseful movie Alien — and the first Dead Space — than the more action-packed Aliens. "There will be ups and downs," he added, "highs and lows."

The scene Kimball was demonstrating last week in New York was not one of those creepy, quiet moments. After Clarke dove to the Sprawl, the game's main infested metropolis of a play space, he fought a surface battle against the game's bad-guy monsters. He intentionally let Clarke die so as to show that January 2011's Dead Space 2 retains one of 2008 Dead Space's visual signature: gruesome deaths of its hero. An enemy vomited acid on Isaac Clarke. Our hero choked and then puked to death. It was gruesome, if not creepy.

Noisy New York nightclubs are not the place to prove that a video game can be subtly scary. We can't test how frightening the game is yet, but at least we know EA promises something haunting.
SOURCE

I bloomin' well hope so! It's the reason why I loved the first one.

Teraspark

Mostly Indifferent
Nov 4, 2009
Staffordshire
[QUOTE="unicron7, post: 5228664]I remember Resident Evil 3: Nemesis being the loudest of all the RE games, and it being the scariest. Nemesis chasing you through entire levels relentlessly had my blood pumping all the time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they hit perfectly with that one. I'm just hoping that Visceral can get the balance right or the resurrection of survival horror is doomed, I fear.

Jun 16, 2010
I hope this can be scary and good at the same time because if it can't the survival horror series will perish especially seeing the way Resident evil is going.

Teraspark

Mostly Indifferent
Nov 4, 2009
Staffordshire
[QUOTE="XeRXeZz, post: 5228693]I hope this can be scary and good at the same time because if it can't the survival horror series will perish especially seeing the way Resident evil is going.[/QUOTE]

Resident Evil dropped the "survival" part since Resi4 and that really annoyed me.

Jul 13, 2008
I loved part 1. I am really pumped about this game. If they keep whats good on part 1 with double the chapters I be happy and the online is a plus

BlacJack

Dedicated Member
Jun 26, 2007
UK
Well, this helps qualm my fears a bit. They mention it as a pacing issue, saying there will be "loud" parts and quiet parts. If their loud parts are of the diving scene type they showed at Gamescom then I'm all for that, as that isn't mindless shooting and is actually a great showpiece for bringing that atmosphere alive. And they also mention there are still many quiet parts. Good! And maybe not being bossed around the whole time will be a good thing.

This is still my most anticipated game of 2011.

May 23, 2005
[QUOTE="unicron7, post: 5228664]I remember Resident Evil 3: Nemesis being the loudest of all the RE games, and it being the scariest. Nemesis chasing you through entire levels relentlessly had my blood pumping all the time.[/QUOTE]
Had to frequently change underwear playing that game so yeah it definately had the scares in spades :lol:

TDbank24

Master Guru
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
I didn't really find Dead Space to be all that scary anyways. Great game, just nothing i haven't experienced before in fright factor. I guess playing the king of all horror series Silent Hill will do that to you.

BlacJack

Dedicated Member
Jun 26, 2007
UK
[QUOTE="TDbank24, post: 5228874]I didn't really find Dead Space to be all that scary anyways. Great game, just nothing i haven't experienced before in fright factor. I guess playing the king of all horror series Silent Hill will do that to you.[/QUOTE]

You should play Amnesia.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009

I remember being scared ****less by the first Resident Evil, the suspense from that title was incredible, it REALLY shook up my nerves. But you are right, Nemesis created a different kind of fear and suspense.

Looking forward to this title :)

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
Except it didn't freak me out or scare me at night. As long as the aliens look more ****ed up, then that will keep me playing. I want to overwhelmed by its size.