EA: We Will Publish A Few Titles & 'See How It Develops'

The 3DS will sell like hotcakes. The 3DS is just incredibly cool. The 3DS is magical. You put that in your hand, you look down, and all of a sudden it’s in 3D without glasses. That’s an amazing experience. I’m a huge fan.
EA’s COO, John Schappert

Pledged big support for it pre-launch. Lined up a few launch titles and games to follow up after launch. Then before it was out cancelled one of the launch titles and just shipped Sims 3DS.

Nitey

Elite Guru
Jan 17, 2011
I think the fact that the Vita can support more 'EA-kinda-games' (dual sticks, high graphics) will help Vita's cause for keeping EA interested in the platform.

A fifa on the Vita thats comparable to the console version will sell like mad

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
This is the internal approach that any 3rd party publisher takes to a new platform, EA seems to be able to say it publicly though.

tbx59

Apprentice
Jun 4, 2010
[QUOTE="Nitey, post: 5643685]I think the fact that the Vita can support more 'EA-kinda-games' (dual sticks, high graphics) will help Vita's cause for keeping EA interested in the platform.

A fifa on the Vita thats comparable to the console version will sell like mad[/QUOTE]

yea and madden in the states. Kind of sounds like they're just going to port some stuff and see how it plays out - not sure that's the best way to deal with it, i.e. the sales might struggle just because someone will buy the console over it. But who knows?

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
It seems EA have made the decision to focus more on smart-phone and tablet gaming rather than handheld gaming. Shame really - because they could have made some unique interesting games on the 3DS and Vita. Why take a wait-and-see approach? Take a risk and put something out there on the platform that is unique. Sony and Nintendo have been partners with EA for years so the lack of support for the 3DS and Vita is interesting and also quite disappointing.

B

benjiro

[QUOTE="Wasib, post: 5644887]It seems EA have made the decision to focus more on smart-phone and tablet gaming rather than handheld gaming. Shame really - because they could have made some unique interesting games on the 3DS and Vita. Why take a wait-and-see approach? Take a risk and put something out there on the platform that is unique. Sony and Nintendo have been partners with EA for years so the lack of support for the 3DS and Vita is interesting and also quite disappointing.[/QUOTE]

Problem is, a company needs to be able to focus its resources.

When you have:

* Consoles: x360/Ps3/Wii/Wii ( whatever that new one is )
* Pc
* Handheld ( DS/PSP/3DS/PSP2(Vita)
* SmartPhones: iPhone/Android/Windows7

Just look at all those platforms. Its impossible to bring unique content to all those platforms all the time. So, like any company, they will see what platforms give them the best possible profit.

Even with the history with Sony, do not forget that the PSP did not exactly become the big success as everybody first expected ( mostly because of the slow start, and lack of top titles the first year ).

Sony clearly does not want to repeat that some mistake, if you look at the linup for the Vita. But EA is not just on a few nice moves from Sony, going to commit a lot of resources at one platform, and ignore others like the 3DS...

Its just business.

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
[QUOTE="benjiro, post: 5645087]Problem is, a company needs to be able to focus its resources.

When you have:

* Consoles: x360/Ps3/Wii/Wii ( whatever that new one is )
* Pc
* Handheld ( DS/PSP/3DS/PSP2(Vita)
* SmartPhones: iPhone/Android/Windows7

Just look at all those platforms. Its impossible to bring unique content to all those platforms all the time. So, like any company, they will see what platforms give them the best possible profit.

Even with the history with Sony, do not forget that the PSP did not exactly become the big success as everybody first expected ( mostly because of the slow start, and lack of top titles the first year ).

Sony clearly does not want to repeat that some mistake, if you look at the linup for the Vita. But EA is not just on a few nice moves from Sony, going to commit a lot of resources at one platform, and ignore others like the 3DS...

Its just business.[/QUOTE]

The problem is it is ignoring other platforms i.e. the 3DS and Vita for the sake of others. It should be common knowledge nowadays that if you want a product to succeed (and that goes for consumers as well) vote with your wallet or in this case at least try to put out some games for new platforms i.e. in this case 3DS and Vita. What are they just waiting for? Surely the realize they need to play a part in the story.

They are one of the biggest publishers in the industry and have had access to Vita development kits for years. The cost of development on Vita is neither extortionate or time-consuming.

Half those platforms you mentioned can be forgot of. For instance both the Wii and DS are in decline. So is the PSP (in fact that decline in the Western market started years ago). The decline of the Wii, DS and PSP surely could not have caught EA off-guard (should have been planned for well in advance). PC can be co-developed with PS3/360 teams...

So that leaves handheld versus smart-phones/tablets. Now I am not saying EA should not go into smartphone and tablets gaming - far from it. However surely surely they can muster up something better than what they have cooked up for the 3DS and Vita so far - it's pathetic frankly.

If that is a matter of mismanagement at the company i.e. spreading resources too thinly or/and strategic errors then they should take a look at what is going on.

Last edited:
B

benjiro

[QUOTE="Wasib, post: 5645099] Now I am not saying EA should not go into smartphone and tablets gaming - far from it. However surely surely they can muster up something better than what they have cooked up for the 3DS and Vita so far - it's pathetic frankly.

If that is a matter of mismanagement at the company i.e. spreading resources too thinly or/and strategic errors then they should take a look at what is going on.[/QUOTE]

Nobody has ever said that a company will be properly managed. :D

Looking back at EA there past reputation, its not exactly hard to see that EA has some major problems.

I agree that some of those platforms are in decline, but do not forget, game development can take from 1 to 3 years. While the DS, PSP, etc are in decline, maybe 1 or 2 years ago when the production of some games started, maybe it was then still a acceptable decision to make.

I did notice that the 3DS did get a several games removed lately from its development cycle. Prompting Nintendo to drop its prices. So there is a refocus going on of resources not just in EA, but other companies also.

Now, if those resources are going to the Vita, nobody knows. But from a technical point of view, the Vita is a much more acceptable platform for medium to high end games, then the 3DS.

That EA is hanging back, ... i can understand that. Plenty of people have questioned how the mobile markets are going to responds now with smartphones/tables. And from EA's lineup, you can tell that EA is also not sure where to go.

The advantage that the Vita has, is that anything developed for the PS3, can easily be converted to the Vita ( if the claims are accurate ). In other words, if the Vita sell's good, then existing PS3 games can be converted to the Vita.

And as those PS3 engines can work on the Vita with some modifications, that also allows a much faster development of new games.

In the end, a large part if not EA there responsibility, but Sony. Sony can add more support or making the financing more interesting, to allow companies take the risk. So, that its not just Vita sales numbers, that will determine if companies want to develop games, but making the whole platform more interesting.

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
[QUOTE="benjiro, post: 5645691]Nobody has ever said that a company will be properly managed. :D

Looking back at EA there past reputation, its not exactly hard to see that EA has some major problems.

I agree that some of those platforms are in decline, but do not forget, game development can take from 1 to 3 years. While the DS, PSP, etc are in decline, maybe 1 or 2 years ago when the production of some games started, maybe it was then still a acceptable decision to make.

I did notice that the 3DS did get a several games removed lately from its development cycle. Prompting Nintendo to drop its prices. So there is a refocus going on of resources not just in EA, but other companies also.

Now, if those resources are going to the Vita, nobody knows. But from a technical point of view, the Vita is a much more acceptable platform for medium to high end games, then the 3DS.

That EA is hanging back, ... i can understand that. Plenty of people have questioned how the mobile markets are going to responds now with smartphones/tables. And from EA's lineup, you can tell that EA is also not sure where to go.

The advantage that the Vita has, is that anything developed for the PS3, can easily be converted to the Vita ( if the claims are accurate ). In other words, if the Vita sell's good, then existing PS3 games can be converted to the Vita.

And as those PS3 engines can work on the Vita with some modifications, that also allows a much faster development of new games.

In the end, a large part if not EA there responsibility, but Sony. Sony can add more support or making the financing more interesting, to allow companies take the risk. So, that its not just Vita sales numbers, that will determine if companies want to develop games, but making the whole platform more interesting.[/QUOTE]

Agreed - good points - EA is still figuring it out themselves it seems. But the caution could prove deadly in the case of the 3DS and Vita.

And my worry is that sometimes I believe powerful narratives we hear on a daily basis through heavily biased technology media outlets such as massive growth of smart-phones/tablets = the place to be as it represents the 'future' leads to black and white thinking where investors then put more and more pressure on the management to divert resources quicker than what is reasonable to those areas (smart-phones and tablets).

But then what of the traditional platforms? There surely has to be some balance otherwise you end up contributing to the demise of hand-held portable machines as a publisher and embark upon a self-fulfilling prophecy frankly.

Anyway, as you say, managing a company is tough - I just hope EA remember there is still fight left in the traditional portable games market. Sometimes one must remember - the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side.

floetry

Forum Guru
Oct 21, 2006
[QUOTE="tbx59, post: 5644144]yea and madden in the states. Kind of sounds like they're just going to port some stuff and see how it plays out - not sure that's the best way to deal with it, i.e. the sales might struggle just because someone will buy the console over it. But who knows?[/QUOTE]

even in the states, maddens not hot. nothing will touch fifa, that game is awesome