English Dubbing

Saix7

Superior Member
May 5, 2007
Well I don't really mind English dubbing of a few anime's, such as Bleach and Naruto.

Ichigo's voice (Johnny Bosch) is good, along with Rukia, Orihime, Uryu's, Ganju's and Gin's.
But I think it's whatever you get used to first since all the anime's were created in Japanese first, everyone would be used to hearing those voices.

For example, Avatar is in English and if they made a Japanese version not many people would be used to it and others might like it better than the english version.

:)

Jun 28, 2007
Well english dubbing is alright i guess. Like I love bleach, eureka seven and naruto in english dubbing, like Johnny Bosch RULES!! Also Stephanie Sheh as well good voices for Hinata, Orihime, and Eureka.

Yeh I am a bit used to a few anime's being english or jap. I am a bit used to bleach in english because i started watching it in english, as for naruto i like it in english but I prefer it in japanese, cause that is the language i started watching it in.

[ZHAO YUN: Another has fallen to my spear!]8)

Dec 3, 2006
I do not like English dubs. I think the actors sound like stupid schlubs. I do not like them on my DVDs. I do not like them in my MKVs. I do not like them Sam-I-am, so please don't give dubs to me.

Once in a blue moon, there will be dubs that are somewhat bearable, and the only time I've ever experienced such a moment is with Cowboy Bebop. And the next time you watch Naruto in English, remember this face:

That's Maile Flanagan, the person who voices Naruto. :D

MavSkipper

Dedicated Member
Dec 11, 2005
teh UKz
msmav.blogspot.com
I don't like dubs myself and just like softtack, Cowboy Bebop is one exception... and X Movie(I like the way they dubbed it)

[QUOTE="softtack, post: 0]That's Maile Flanagan, the person who voices Naruto. :D[/QUOTE]

Phaded

Phading Reality
Jun 5, 2006
Only dubs i will listen too are, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Bleach and Death Note. Out of all 4 I think Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex's is the best.

Dec 3, 2006
Forgot to mention, Samurai Champloo also has a good English dub. I actually prefer that one over the original Japanese audio.

Phaded

Phading Reality
Jun 5, 2006
I've just started getting Samurai Champloo on DVD, guess i'le have to check out the Dub.

Phaded

Phading Reality
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah, maybe Light's isn't that good i don't think it's sinister enough, but i do like L's i think it's suited perfectly.

PhantoK

Dedicated Member
Jul 17, 2005
www.clan-mop.com
I absolutely despise dubbing... In my opinion, it strips the character and the series of it's original identity (have you heard dubs of the Simpsons? Yuck!), and for what? So that a bunch of idiots who are either too dumb or too lazy to read subtitles can watch a mellowed down version of the show? No thanks... For kid's shows, it's OK to dub, since kids most likely can't understand foreign languages or quite possible read at the level necessary to follow subtitles. But to dub anything else is simply idiotic and degrading to the original work.

I have not heard a single dub in my life that would even closely match the original voice acting, and I've always preferred the original voicing in everything I've watched. Even when I was still a kid...

Oh, and on a side note even though it's not common in anything but really really badly made American voice overs. Why in the blue salmonellasandwich do some shows insist on using voice actors who speak horrible English? For example, watch a single episode of Iron Chef and then tell me the voice overs didn't make you want to kill a kitten with a spoon. They basically have half of the people in the show voiced over by people talking English with thick Japanese accents. Do they honestly think that this will fool anyone in to believing that this is anything closer to the original? We know you dubbed it, we're not stupid! If you are going to dub something, you could have atleast done it well.

Jan 24, 2007
[QUOTE="softtack, post: 0]Forgot to mention, Samurai Champloo also has a good English dub. I actually prefer that one over the original Japanese audio.[/quote]
Mmm, that's one of the few that I do prefer, that and Hellsing which is the obvious choice. Other than that I can't for the life of me think of another.
Naruto is terrible beyond my worse nightmares, partially because it got the One Piece royal screwjob, I've already watched 140-ish of Bleach in Jap and by the time I heard the English one I just couldn't cope.
I'm a real stickler when it comes to dubs and hate most of them initially (What's wrong with reading subs? Americans can't emote anyway so the potential that is there is lost.) and on a slim chance I will turn around and like them.
Maybe I've heard too many crap ones, I dunno, or maybe I just can't stand when intentionally annoying and goofy characters (ie. 80% of anime characters) are attempted to be emulated by an American, with the only thing I get from that is a mental picture of the VA screaming like a retard into the mic.

Long story short kids, I watch too much anime.

For example, watch a single episode of Iron Chef and then tell me the voice overs didn't make you want to kill a kitten with a spoon. They basically have half of the people in the show voiced over by people talking English with thick Japanese accents. Do they honestly think that this will fool anyone in to believing that this is anything closer to the original? We know you dubbed it, we're not stupid! If you are going to dub something, you could have atleast done it well.
On the contrary, its fine for me because Iron Chef doesn't take itself seriosly. If you thought that then watch the host eat the main ingredient, like an apple for instance, does that look serious to you?
Also I've heard from people who actually speak the dialect say that in fact Iron Chef is translated fantastically, as in they translate and localize all the puns and etc. that the commentators were saying in Japanese.
I'll take their word for it.

PhantoK

Dedicated Member
Jul 17, 2005
www.clan-mop.com
[QUOTE="Major Ocelot, post: 0]
On the contrary, its fine for me because Iron Chef doesn't take itself seriosly. If you thought that then watch the host eat the main ingredient, like an apple for instance, does that look serious to you?
Also I've heard from people who actually speak the dialect say that in fact Iron Chef is translated fantastically, as in they translate and localize all the puns and etc. that the commentators were saying in Japanese.
I'll take their word for it.[/QUOTE]
Umm... I think you're missing my point. I'm not talking about Iron Chef taking itself seriously, nor how well it is translated language-wise. I'm talking about the seemingly useless idea behind giving the voice overs accents. I don't see why they would not simply use normal English instead of some pretty laughably done accents, when they've already decided to strip the show of it's original language.

And it's not just Iron Chef I'm talking about here, that was just an example. I've seen the same thing in countless other shows and a good number of documentaries that otherwise try to take a serious stab at what they're talking about.

Taion

Apprentice
Jan 14, 2008
Cowboy Bebop has a brilliant dub, I really prefer it over the Japanese one. Especially Spike's voice,that is perfect for the character.

I guess ghost in the shell's dubs are not too bad either, though they don't have much emotion to them, but i guess that wouldn't be too bad considering it's ghost in the shell.

NGE has a pretty good dub, though I think at times Misato and Asuka's voices are a little too over the top.

I dread to hear a death note dub, the japanese version is brilliant. Especially light and Ryuk , I couldn't imagine them with different voices.

Phaded

Phading Reality
Jun 5, 2006
[QUOTE="Taion, post: 0]
I guess ghost in the shell's dubs are not too bad either, though they don't have much emotion to them, but i guess that wouldn't be too bad considering it's ghost in the shell.

[/QUOTE]

I actually think it's done perfectly, i can hear the emotion in Amaraki and Tosuga's voices but in the likes of Batou and the Major it's not so much, after all they are like android's.

Shin Asura

Master Guru
Aug 23, 2006
Working out with Juri
The main problem with dubbing is besides Japan no where else takes it seriously so they use half ass actors and poor dialogue that makes the best anime garbage

The only time you find a good dub is when the company does it in house or from a reliable source

Jun 28, 2007
Did someone just say The Simpsons are bad in English? Okay that's weird. This is "English Dubbing" forum topic, The Simpsons were orignally in english.

Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
Best kind of dubbing is the dubbing that is better than the original japanese voices. Only one to do that for me so far is Fullmetal Alchemist. I havent heard Ghost in the Shell in japanese so i cant say if i like the dubbing more so i will just mention it as great dubbing.

B

bobabooy?

[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 0]Best kind of dubbing is the dubbing that is better than the original japanese voices. Only one to do that for me so far is Fullmetal Alchemist. I havent heard Ghost in the Shell in japanese so i cant say if i like the dubbing more so i will just mention it as great dubbing.[/QUOTE]
Bleach and full metal are good I just watch subbed sometimes to see what happens later :)

Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="bobabooy?, post: 0]Bleach and full metal are good I just watch subbed sometimes to see what happens later :)[/quote]

I give Bleach a 7/10 in dubbing
Good but not great.

[QUOTE="SnakeDevil, post: 0]The worst dubs are in One Piece.[/quote]
Actually the worst dubs are in Hentai.

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, Bleach is one of the best dubbing. Also DBZ is way better than the japanese voices.

Actually the worst dubs are in Hentai.
Hahaha, yeah they are probably not bothered to do the dubbing properly.

Behemoko

Elite Sage
Nov 14, 2006
Minnesota
Elfen Lied is the only thing I prefer the subbed version of.

In the English version, every female sounds like she's 5, and the wimpy main guy sounds like some huge bad ass, none of the voices match..

Every other anime I can name I prefer the dubbed version.

Shadowfyre

Super Elite
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah, Naruto is one of the worst English Dubs ever. Though in the Japanese version Naruto says "Dattebayo!" instead of, "Believe it!".

jlippone

Forum Guru
Dec 2, 2004
[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 2817189]Sorry but Disney isnt anime.[/quote]
True, but their movies have had very nice dubbing during the years. (from english to other lanquages)
Also they have made great dubbing for some of the Ghibli movies.. ;)

For anime only good dubbing has been on couple of movies, the quality on dubbed series is quite horrendous.
I once in a while try to look something in english once in a while, but I usually cannot watch longer than few minutes..

It's honestly what you're used to, I believe.

When I lived in Japan, I was totally used to Goku's Japanese voice, and I was like "WTF?!" when I came here and heard the retarded English voiced version years later.

However, once I got used to the English version, and checked out the original Japanese dubs... I was like "WTF?!"...

So, at the end of the day... It's what you're used to. As long as I understand what's going on, I couldn't care less (too less, anyways) who's voice acting for who.

BUT, on the whole, it does seem that the Japanese voice actors are FAR better. You can tell they put the effort and passion into their art! Being well known seiyuu's (voice actors) in Japan are akin to being Hollywood celebrities, but over here, if you voice act for "Cartoons", you're a second rate unknown Joe. It's a whole different culture.