Epic forums censorship

pionata

Dedicated Member
Oct 30, 2005
Hey, just wanted to inform about the type of people working at Epic, which after lying about a patch release the week after GDC, started to delete posts of people saying they are sick of waiting for the UT3 patch or not buying another Epic product again.

Just for your information, the games has serious issues which include system freezes and now server incompatibility between Us and EU which result into a server browser mess. Many people who bought the game recently cant even find a server to play on.
I'm sure they are working on something, but their lack on answer to the current problems is shameful.

Anyway I liked the game, but with all those issues and now getting most my non-offending post deleted, I decided to never buy another Epic game again. ...And I really was a true fan, ranked in the top 100 2 months ago.

Edit: Sorry could someone move this to general discussion? Thanks!

pionata

Dedicated Member
Oct 30, 2005
[QUOTE="Wrath, post: 0]If that's true I'm gonna sell my copy of UT III without hesitation.[/QUOTE]

There is another thread about this:
http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=126798

It might be worth it to keep it for when they actually fix it. It's the forum censorship that upset me more than the lack of a patch. People are getting more upset and they started to delete posts.

Gero

Superior Member
Dec 2, 2006
Thank You!!! Someone else here is as frustrated with them as I am. I don't know what to do- hold onto UT3 and wait for patch or get rid of it? I want it to work sooo bad. I love UT games and if it gets patched later after I rid myself of it, I'll be so upset.

Wrath

Master Guru
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
[QUOTE="pionata, post: 0]There is another thread about this:
http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=126798

It might be worth it to keep it for when they actually fix it. It's the forum censorship that upset me more than the lack of a patch. People are getting more upset and they started to delete posts.[/quote]

And that would exactly be the reason why I'd end up selling it. Whenever a company doesn't treat their fans like they deserve to be treated I'm definitely not supporting said company with my money.

Thank you for the clarification though.

pionata

Dedicated Member
Oct 30, 2005
[QUOTE="Wrath, post: 0]And that would exactly be the reason why I'd end up selling it. Whenever a company doesn't treat their fans like they deserve to be treated I'm definitely not supporting said company with my money.

Thank you for the clarification though.[/QUOTE]

Im keeping my copy (because selling it wont change anything). But I'm never buying another Epic game unless they seriously make up for UT3's mess.

Dave-The-Rave

Power Member
Jan 31, 2007
Northern Ireland
I have no problems joining games or with freezes, also I only have like 2 Americans on my friend list so that compatibility doesn't bother me much..if the fix it, good...if they don't, I'm still fine with that..

T

Trat

I really hate Epic. They are so arogant and think the world of themselves. They gave us a crippled US release and the UK release is still gimped. They promissed splitscreen but swept it's absence under the carpet before releasing the game. The censor there forum which is rediculous. I mean, WTF do you have a forum then? They ban you without a warning.
I'm thinking of letting my lawyer write a nice big fat letter with assaults on them. Something like my PS3 breaking down due to the game freezing and me having to reboot all the time. Epic didn't put up a warning about this breaking up your PS3 so I sue them. I hope they release a patch soon as I would really want to trashtalk their forum with bots 24/7.

daevv

The Mega Man
May 28, 2007
Newfoundland!
Kinda the same on the EA forums regarding the awful NHL 08 server disconnect issue. Not deleting or censorship but just ignoring the complaints.

I rented UT3 last Friday for a week and played it for about 2 hours total on Saturday then brought it back Monday. The same dude who rented it to me was puzzled to say the least :)

Bottom line I won't be buying UT3 or another EA game again....

Forcedme

Super Elite
Oct 19, 2007
[QUOTE="daevv, post: 0]Bottom line I won't be buying UT3 or another EA game again....[/quote]

But how could you deny the awesomeness that quite possibly may be Mirror's Edge? How? :cry:

Wrath

Master Guru
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
[QUOTE="pionata, post: 0]Im keeping my copy (because selling it wont change anything). But I'm never buying another Epic game unless they seriously make up for UT3's mess.[/quote]

Well, selling it doesn't really get appreciated by any developer as the guy that's buying my used copy gives me the money - not Epic or anyone else.

EyeSight

Superior Member
Aug 27, 2007
they'd hardly let bad press about their products on their forums, you should know that when you signed up! if you wanted to complain about them the obviously do it somewhere else

pionata

Dedicated Member
Oct 30, 2005
[QUOTE="EyeSight, post: 0]they'd hardly let bad press about their products on their forums, you should know that when you signed up! if you wanted to complain about them the obviously do it somewhere else[/QUOTE]

Epic are the one screwing us off, we have every rights to complain directly to them. You cannot delete post on the premise that it makes you look bad. That's called censorship and it's an assault against our freedom of speech.

Xelios

Elite Sage
Apr 15, 2007
I can't believe Epic anymore. I remember back when 2k4 was out, they were possibly one of the coolest devs. Now when they became rich off of UE3, they became so arrogant. I can understand if you just ignore the tons of posts, but I can't believe they would go as far as to delete posts.

pionata

Dedicated Member
Oct 30, 2005
[QUOTE="Xelios, post: 0]I can't believe Epic anymore. I remember back when 2k4 was out, they were possibly one of the coolest devs. Now when they became rich off of UE3, they became so arrogant. I can understand if you just ignore the tons of posts, but I can't believe they would go as far as to delete posts.[/QUOTE]

I just witness them deleting 4 post (complaints about the lack of a patch, nothing worth censoring) including one of mine in the PS3 patch requirement thread:
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=591873

Thats the limit for me, never playing UT3 again or buying another Epic product. I wasnt going to do so, but I'll just go sell this game.

SillyHatMafia

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2007
I only play the game with tough bots now.

ITs a shame, UT2004 on PC was one of my favorite online games. When i played the UT3 beta demo on the PC, i had a blast, shame its not as good in the full release.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
Wait... you mean they don't want people threatening to boycott the company on their forum?

Who the hell thought of that idea?!~!?

pionata

Dedicated Member
Oct 30, 2005
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 0]Wait... you mean they don't want people threatening to boycott the company on their forum?

Who the hell thought of that idea?!~!?[/QUOTE]

You cant just delete posts of people complaining, no matter how much you disagree with them. It's just not right. I once made a 30 hours + expansion for Morrowind (with a team of over 20 people) and we NEVER deleted a post that was complaining about something unless it was spam.

Xelios

Elite Sage
Apr 15, 2007
[QUOTE="pionata, post: 0]I just witness them deleting 4 post (complaints about the lack of a patch, nothing worth censoring) including one of mine in the PS3 patch requirement thread:
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=591873

Thats the limit for me, never playing UT3 again or buying another Epic product. I wasnt going to do so, but I'll just go sell this game.[/quote]

Yeah man, I don't blame you for selling it. I'll personally keep mine because I won't get anything out of it. But you have every right to be pissed at them. But still, I also can't blame them for deleting the posts either as its their forums. I still play my UT3 from time to time, but its really frustrating with all of the problems.

EyeSight

Superior Member
Aug 27, 2007
[QUOTE="pionata, post: 0]Epic are the one screwing us off, we have every rights to complain directly to them. You cannot delete post on the premise that it makes you look bad. That's called censorship and it's an assault against our freedom of speech.[/quote]
i know but i'm just looking at it in a non "i hate epic right now"" way. don't get me wrong, i'm annoyed i bought that game too but it obvious why they deleted it. do you really expect them to advertise the fact they made a bad game on their own website? just think about it.

Feb 27, 2008
[QUOTE="pionata, post: 0]Epic are the one screwing us off, we have every rights to complain directly to them. You cannot delete post on the premise that it makes you look bad. That's called censorship and it's an assault against our freedom of speech.[/QUOTE]

1. they pay for the forums you agreed to there rules.
2. freedom of speech to say that epic fed up? ok i'll make 100 topics on this forum saying why PS3 sucks
3. They know they need to make a patch and there working on it they don't need to see 10 posts a day saying "hey epic hurry up with the patch"
4. I would say it's people like you who screw up the games "oh why is it taking so long hurry up and release the game blah blah blah" well they did and look what happened

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="pionata, post: 0]You cant just delete posts of people complaining, no matter how much you disagree with them. It's just not right. I once made a 30 hours + expansion for Morrowind (with a team of over 20 people) and we NEVER deleted a post that was complaining about something unless it was spam.[/quote]
Actually you can, because they did.

You don't even know how their boards work. Chances are the posts are still visible by staff, or they were noted then deleted.

It's obvious why they were deleted. They don't want disruption on the boards and want to maintain a certain mood and environment. It's a board for discussing UT, it's not their customer service complaint inbox. Like you said, it was people complaining - to epic, about a patch and problems.

So unless you have some kind of proof that epic staff is just deleting posts and ignoring them, this is just the moderation team keeping order.

If you want to complain about their product then email customer service. Don't clutter the community forums with bitching. That's why the posts were deleted.

pionata

Dedicated Member
Oct 30, 2005
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 0]Actually you can, because they did.

You don't even know how their boards work. Chances are the posts are still visible by staff, or they were noted then deleted.

It's obvious why they were deleted. They don't want disruption on the boards and want to maintain a certain mood and environment. It's a board for discussing UT, it's not their customer service complaint inbox. Like you said, it was people complaining - to epic, about a patch and problems.

So unless you have some kind of proof that epic staff is just deleting posts and ignoring them, this is just the moderation team keeping order.

If you want to complain about their product then email customer service. Don't clutter the community forums with bitching. That's why the posts were deleted.[/QUOTE]

Well it seems I dont need to bitch anymore, a lot of people are doing it. We tried emailing tech support, they just reply generic emails. Of course they are in damage control mode, still I cant help to think that it's wrong. The only way they should delete our posts is if there was a warning with acknowledgement of the current issues. Anyway Im done with this, selling the game ASAP.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="pionata, post: 0]Well it seems I dont need to bitch anymore, a lot of people are doing it. We tried emailing tech support, they just reply generic emails. Of course they are in damage control mode, still I cant help to think that it's wrong. The only way they should delete our posts is if there was a warning with acknowledgement of the current issues. Anyway Im done with this, selling the game ASAP.[/quote]
True, it would have been a smart and sensible idea on their part to make a statement on the issue, and they probably will come monday. Still doesn't change the fact that it's not the right place to voice complaints like that.

pionata

Dedicated Member
Oct 30, 2005
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 0]True, it would have been a smart and sensible idea on their part to make a statement on the issue, and they probably will come monday. Still doesn't change the fact that it's not the right place to voice complaints like that.[/QUOTE]

Well because I started to make some noise about them deleting posts they banned me this morning I guess, I wonder if they did the same with the 2-3 others which were complaining about the same things:

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

First time I'm ever banned from somewhere. Whatever, it just make it more clear for me what kind of people they are, or perhaps it's just a moderator having fun. But perhaps your right, maybe the best thing is to shut up and simply not buy their unfinished game (crap is not really the good word, the gameplay is tight - its just buggy as hell) ever again.

Sep 12, 2005
If you guys think that is bad, you should see the Gears of War forum for the PC. The way they try to hide the problems is disturbing to say the least, and is not something that would make me feel confident buying their games.

pionata

Dedicated Member
Oct 30, 2005
[QUOTE="Doc Evils, post: 0]If you guys think that is bad, you should see the Gears of War forum for the PC. The way they try to hide the problems is disturbing to say the least, and is not something that would make me feel confident buying their games.[/QUOTE]

Well those UT3 threads are far from positive (other people are also complaining about deleted posts):
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=605415
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=603969
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=591873&page=68
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=606132

Mar 21, 2005
www.ps3portal.com
Well it just shows you what kind of a company someone is. I mean activiosn and insomniac welcomed you to complaints and even had places to go to report problems if needed, what was the result? Well insomniac released a patch ASAP and activison is suposedly working on one for cod4.

Whille theese companies just ignore it because it takes time and that to them is money, they rather be the lazy dev and not do it unless they are rewarded. My copy has already been up for sale for a while now.

E

electricmine

If they're doing that to customers, then they need a foot in their ass.

I'm starting not to trust companies anymore. Team Ninja, Tecmo, Capcom...they're all screwing the PS3 over big time and they will eventually pay.

FantasyStar

Dedicated Member
Oct 20, 2006
Man what the heck? I remember Epic Games back then in UT1 and they were great! They had the communities' back and they are excellent devs! I didn't believe it till I saw it myself. That's horrible. At least move all the complaints to its own section.

It's within their legal rights and privileges to delete any post at will cause they own the forums and we agreed to it in the "terms and conditions". Freedom of Speech doesn't exist on the internet.

However regardless of that, deleting posts that might otherwise make them look bad is immoral to a company play and shows how much problems there are. Man Epic has sunk in a weird way from this. I don't own UTIII for PS3, but I didn't know of all the problems. Wow that sucks.