Expect a lot of Morpheus

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
[h=1]Sony to Devote ‘around half’ of E3 Booth to Morpheus, ‘Big push’ at Presser[/h] June 10, 2015 Jamie FelthamNews No Comments
Next week sees the biggest event in the videogame calendar, E3, take place in Los Angeles, California. Videogame fans can expect the latest updates from every major publisher and a wide range of developers both big and small. All eyes are on Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) in particular, as the company is set to provide more details on its Project Morpheus virtual reality (VR) head-mounted display (HMD) for the PlayStation 4 at the show. In fact, VRFocus has recently learned just about much of a focus the company will be devoting to its device at this year’s event.

VRFocus has been told by sources close to SCE that Project Morpheus will be seeing a ‘big push’ at the company’s annual press conference on 15th June 2015. Following that, ‘around half’ of its booth space, which is already known to be sizeable, will be devoted to showing the device. Videogames on display are said to be ‘first-party and exclusive Morpheus titles’ only, meaning anything also appearing on the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive won’t be featured. Many of these titles will have likely already been revealed in that press conference.
Full first-party videogames are something that Project Morpheus hasn’t seen yet. While a handful of third-party projects have been revealed, the closest thing to first-party content seen on the device are the range of tech demos from SCE London Studio that have accompanied the kit to many of its showcases over the past year.
SCE has already confirmed that Project Morpheus will be releasing in the first half of 2016. Back at the 2015 Game Developers Conference (GDC) in March the company introduced a new prototype for the kit, which boasted a 1080p OLED display with a 120Hz refresh rate that allows for some videogames to be ‘reprojected’ at this framerate.
VRFocus will continue to follow Project Morpheus closely, reporting back with any further updates on its progress.
http://vrfocus.com/archives/16369/project-morpheus-e3/

I'm also hear that you should not be surprised to hear a $400 pricetag being announced for it, but whether that's for the full kit or just the helmet I'm not entirely sure. Considering the specs for a machine to run Oculus Rift, that's not a bad pricepoint either way.

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
[QUOTE="WaxWeazle, post: 6451445]Sony should send me a devkit. Because reasons.[/QUOTE]

If you make FO4 work with Morpheus, they should send you two.

Jun 10, 2015
I know CyberConnect 2 (the guys behind the Naruto games and Ashura's Wrath and .Hack) are making a VR game... I would assume it'd be on Morpheus because they're a Japanese dev and not so much PC. So I'm kind of expecting them to be one of the projects Sony is going to show. In which case, could be cool as they do make really awesome animeish/stylized graphics which would make for a different VR experience.

Otherwise, I'm kind of thinking Media Molecule's new creation tool thing they announced at the PS4 reveal might be a Morpheus big game. I mean, there won't be lots of new games coming out early on so they need something big to sell the Morpheus. I could conceivably see a Minecraft like level creator in Virtual Reality to be that big title.

Also, I'm expecting the Sports Champions studio to make a requisite sports minigame collection for VR.

As for Fallout 4, they specifically said there won't be any non sony funded games here. There's a chance that Fallout 4 may be VR compatible and showcased on Rift or whatever, but definitely not in this showcase :p hopefully they could get it working on Morpheus too, though

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
You know, the idea of this taking up a decent amount of time during the conference concerns me. Those in the audience won't get the full effect and it will be similar to the times Microsoft does Kinect stuff. If they touch on it and then do a lot of Morpheus stuff at their booth for the rest of the show, then I can get behind that.

I wonder if we'll see something with Morpheus and GTA. We had that marketing babble from Sony about GTA:V being a special experience for Sony gamers, have yet to see anything in that game on either the PS3 or PS4 to back that statement up.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
I'm interested to see what Morpheus can do.

The pessimist in me makes me think that it'll be very niche games on the Morpheus as I don't think the PS4 has the horsepower to be doing massive intensive games.

However I'm hoping to be proven wrong and seeing what they can do with it. Should make E3 interesting at the very least.

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
At $400, it makes me think that it might have it's own GPU to assist rendering the games properly at a clean resolution/framerate.

Last edited:

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
The rumoured price puts me off a bit especially knowing it'd then be even more expensive for Australia. Never used VR before though so don't know how game changing it really is. Boxing game would be neat.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
I guess we'll find out soon. I'm hoping it can. But seeing how the current generation is not exactly hitting 1080p and 60fps consistently across the board and VR needs a higher resolution and a much higher frame rate to be a comfortable experience.

But I don't want to be too pessimistic seeing as I know nothing about it. I'm really hoping it'll be good.

@BBD, I agree. Price will be king and they need to price it accordingly to get the mass public to adopt this technology

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="BBK.., post: 6451506]I'm interested to see what Morpheus can do.

The pessimist in me makes me think that it'll be very niche games on the Morpheus as I don't think the PS4 has the horsepower to be doing massive intensive games.

However I'm hoping to be proven wrong and seeing what they can do with it. Should make E3 interesting at the very least.[/QUOTE]

Yeha Im firmly in the wait and see camp, but cant help but be reminded of their push into 3D gaming with that headline.

Jun 4, 2007
This shit is going to flop harder than the 3D movement if they price it at anything above $150. I don't want this shit taking up a lot of the conference either.

Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6451566]This shit is going to flop harder than the 3D movement if they price it at anything above $150. I don't want this shit taking up a lot of the conference either.[/QUOTE]

Im speculating a $200-$250 price tag.
It wont flop if it also works on PC but yeah expect a lot of disappointment.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6451566]This $#@! is going to flop harder than the 3D movement if they price it at anything above $150. I don't want this $#@! taking up a lot of the conference either.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. This isnt good news.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6451580]I really don't know how you show this off at a press conference. It something you have to experience.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. VR is interesting, but I don't want to watch people play games with a VR helmet on. lol

Sony should give us the final specs and release date, announce some VR-enabled games, and move on.

Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6451580]I really don't know how you show this off at a press conference. It something you have to experience.[/QUOTE]

Its quite easy to see what they are doing.
During the conference they will show the final product, price, release date. Will most likely have a montage or segment dedicated to what games will support VR. Then open their booth up where people get to experience VR.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6451558]Yeha Im firmly in the wait and see camp, but cant help but be reminded of their push into 3D gaming with that headline.[/QUOTE]

I think they'll try and shoehorn it into many games with very mixed results. I do think those expecting big budget games to be made for this to be kidding themselves. Things like No Mans Sky and other reasonably light games I could see though.

I'm tempering my expectations as I would rather be impressed than underwhelmed.

Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="BBK.., post: 6451599]I think they'll try and shoehorn it into many games with very mixed results. I do think those expecting big budget games to be made for this to be kidding themselves. Things like No Mans Sky and other reasonably light games I could see though.

I'm tempering my expectations as I would rather be impressed than underwhelmed.[/QUOTE]

Shoehorning VR isnt an easy task with limited hardware. If Sony wants VR on their console to be successful or even work at all they would have had to convince devs early into a games development to add it in. Since Sony got Other Ocean to port Street Fighter IV to PS4 their decisions are hit and miss this gen.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
Yeah I think shoehorning was a poor expression. I just think they'll try and get lots of games built for it. Which is what they need to do I suppose.

I know people have got oculus rift working with Minecraft so that would be fun to try it with that.

I'm looking forward to seeing more though. Genuine innovation will make E3 feel worthwhile rather than how it has been for last few years

Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="BBK.., post: 6451613]Yeah I think shoehorning was a poor expression. I just think they'll try and get lots of games built for it. Which is what they need to do I suppose.

I know people have got oculus rift working with Minecraft so that would be fun to try it with that.

I'm looking forward to seeing more though. Genuine innovation will make E3 feel worthwhile rather than how it has been for last few years[/QUOTE]

Here is a 3rd person 3D platformer exclusive to VR

[video=youtube;ftJUrhmemLY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftJUrhmemLY[/video]

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 6451604]Shoehorning VR isnt an easy task with limited hardware. If Sony wants VR on their console to be successful or even work at all they would have had to convince devs early into a games development to add it in. Since Sony got Other Ocean to port Street Fighter IV to PS4 their decisions are hit and miss this gen.[/QUOTE]

Not sure why you think its difficult, its simply tying the camera matrix to the vr sensors. The issue is, exactly like 3d you have render the screen twice.

The biggest issue is like kinect you cant really travel and as soon as you do your either on rails or break the immersion.
Fundamental flaw in all VR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="BBK.., post: 6451621]Those are the types of games I expect to see flourish with VR. Fun looking cartoon games. I don't expect to see games looking like uncharted though[/QUOTE]

Well it depends which Uncharted. You could probably get a game that looks as good as Uncharted 3 running at proper performance on Morpheus but dont quote me on that.

Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="BBK.., post: 6451628]We can only hope. Would be amazing if it could but I think the PS4 just lacks the graphical horsepower to do it right.[/QUOTE]

I have been very doom and gloom when it comes to Morpheus but i just want to say im very excited for VR and want it to succeed.I just think maybe Sony should have waited for PS5 to debut it on consoles since its still new tech and the 1st gen devices arent even out yet. I personally would have waited until 2nd or 3rd generation devices came out but that would be a risk that a competitor would get VR on consoles first so i guess if this works out for Sony it will be a good foot in the door in the console space.