Exponential Functions

miickEe

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
www.miickee.net
In the Homework thread on the Suggestions forum, many suggested that if you had homework troubles then post it in the General Chit Chat area, so here it is.

In maths we're doing exponential functions. There is one question that I am absolutely stuck on.

(e^x)^2 - e x e^x = 0

I got it down to

(e^x)^2 - 2e^x = 0

I don't know that the hell to do next.. :cry: The answer has to be in the form of x = .

Nov 22, 2005
Not to pick on you a bit, but can you derive f(x)=3x^3+2x^2+x-34 ? I'm sorry, since I am taking calculus again, that is really what I am into right now for math.

Aug 26, 2005
SolidSnakeUS...

The derivitive of that equation should be f'(x)= 9x^2 + 4x + 1

It's the addition/subtraction rule...Just multiply the exponent (in each seperate part) by the coefficient.
Then subtract 1 from the exponent...
When the exponent already equals 1 ("x" in the original equation) x^1-1= 1
34 is not a variable so we just leave it out of the derivitive.

Ex: 3b^3 = 3x3b^3 = 9b^3-1 = 9b^2 (I just substituted "b" for "x" because "x" means times)

No i'm no math genious, I'm jsut studying calculus right now.

C

curryking1

Many gamers today were happy when an oddly late feature to Resident Evil 5 was revealed today. Apparently, a run and gun control scheme was going to be making an appearance on the final retail copy of Capcom's upcoming title. Sadly, Capcom has confirmed that these reports were false and that their representative was incorrect in stating otherwise.

"While RE5 is very action-heavy, the base RE game design mechanic of holding fast while shooting remains," says the Capcom blog.

It would have made things interesting to add a little fresh tactile running and gunning to the mix, but alas, gamers can go back to sighing over the slow-trodden walking style of Chris Redfield. Remember readers, the tortoise did beat the hare! Of course, the tortoise wasn't being chased down by people wanting to eat him alive.

Source

The_Only

Forum Sage
Feb 9, 2004
www.rebelreading.tk
Dave, i'm not sure where you got this news from (as you didn't provide a source) but I am almost 100% sure it is not true.

Several RE fan sites have reported on the same story and since updated their articles with confirmation that a run and gun option will not be available. As I said, i'm unsure about your source, but they claim the news originated from comments from Capcom's Mike Webster, who simply didn't quite know what he was talking about.

Here's something i've taken from fan site The Horror Is Alive:

"For those with access to X-Box Live, the latest edition of "The OXM Report" covers the recent Las Vegas event where Capcom was demoing a new area from Resident Evil 5. Speaking with Mike Webster from Capcom, Webster states that the new "Action" control scheme will allow players to move and shoot at the same time. It is uncertain at this time whether he is simply mistaken or if this is a new feature that will be added to the final game.

The video also shows new footage of the demo, including the situational cover system that was described in a recent THIA podcast and is a returning feature from Resident Evil 4.

*UPDATE*

It has been confirmed through various sources (Chris Kramer, early reviews, etc.) that Mike Webster was indeed mistaken when he said players would be able to move and shoot simultaneously using the Action controls. Thank you to both aris13 and Umon Daisuke for the correction."

Also, for the record, there is a run button in the game. I've seen videos of the demo in action and Chris and Sheva can both run. I believe the controls are detailed in a file at the beginning of the Public Assembly stage, or displayed on-screen. Either way, it's definitely there.

The new 'action' controls allow you to strafe, but you can't move and shoot at the same time.

C

curryking1

Yep, I got it from the OXM video as well.

It's cool to just trash this article if it has already been proven false. Nice heads-up Mike, though you are the RE guy ;)

JDawg5000

Dedicated Member
Jan 20, 2004
Damn, I find not being able to shot whilst walking a bit annoying, but it does add to the experience I guess.