Fail After Fail...Camping Makes Another Prediction!

PsychoMantis

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
Nov 20, 2005
ALAMEDA, Calif. — California preacher Howard Camping says his prophecy that the world would end was off by five months because Judgment Day actually will come on Oct. 21.

The independent Christian radio host said Monday the apocalypse will come five months after May 21, the original date he predicted.

Camping, 89-year-old retired civil engineer, says he felt so terrible when his doomsday prediction did not come true on Saturday that he left home and took refuge in a motel with his wife.

Rather than give his normal daily broadcast, Camping made a special statement before the press at the Oakland headquarters of the media empire that has broadcast his message.

His earlier apocalyptic prediction in 1994 also was a bust, but he said it didn't happen because of a mathematical error.

Camping told the San Francisco Chronicle on Sunday he was "flabbergasted" his latest doomsday prophecy did not come true.

Gunther Von Harringa, who heads a religious organization that produces content for Camping's media enterprise, said he was "very surprised" the Rapture did not happen as predicted, but said he and other believers were in good spirits.
Advertise | AdChoices

"We're still searching the Scriptures to understand why it did not happen," said Von Harringa, president of Bible Ministries International, which he operates from his home in Delaware, Ohio. "It's just a matter of OK, Lord, where do we go from here?"

Apocalyptic thinking has always been part of American religious life and popular culture. Teachings about the end of the world vary dramatically — even within faith traditions — about how they will occur.

Still, the overwhelming majority of Christians reject the idea that the exact date or time of Jesus' return can be predicted.

Tim LaHaye, co-author of the best-selling "Left Behind" novels about the end times, recently called Camping's prediction "not only bizarre but 100 percent wrong!" He cited the bible verse Matthew 24:36, 'but about that day or hour no one knows" except God.

"While it may be in the near future, many signs of our times certainly indicate so, but anyone who thinks they 'know' the day and the hour is flat out wrong," LaHaye wrote on his Web site, leftbehind.com.

Signs of disappointment were evident online, where groups that had confidently predicted the Rapture — and, in some cases, had spent money to help spread the word through advertisements — took tentative steps to re-establish Internet presences in the face of widespread mockery.

The Linwood, Penn.-based group eBible Fellowship still has a website with images of May 21 billboards all over the world, but its Twitter feed has changed over from the increasingly confident predictions before the date to circumspect Bible verses that seem to speak to the confusion and hurt many members likely feel.

"For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee," the group tweeted on Sunday, quoting the book of Isaiah.

Family Radio spent millions — some of it from donations made by followers — on more than 5,000 billboards and 20 RVs plastered with the doomsday message. In 2009, the nonprofit reported in IRS filings that it received $18.3 million in donations, and had assets of more than $104 million, including $34 million in stocks or other publicly traded securities.

Family Radio's special projects coordinator, Michael Garcia has said he believed the delay was God's way of separating true believers from those willing to doubt what he said were clear biblical warnings.

"Maybe this had to happen for there to be a separation between those who have faith and those who don't," he said. "It's highly possible that our Lord is delaying his coming."
Source

He failed 2 previous prediction so why not make another one right? For all we know the 3rd times the charm!

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
Mistakes like this could happen to anyone

CALIFORNIA preacher Howard Camping says his prophecy that the world would end was off by five months because Judgment Day actually will come on October 21.

The independent Christian radio host said today the apocalypse or the so-called global "Rapture" will come five months after May 21, the original date he predicted.

Mr Camping says he felt so terrible when his doomsday prediction did not come true on Saturday that he left home and took refuge in a motel with his wife.

Mr Camping, an 89-year-old retired civil engineer, appeared publicly today.

Rather than give his normal daily broadcast, Mr Camping made a special statement before the press at the Oakland headquarters of the media empire that has broadcast his message.

Last week he had predicted the global "Rapture" would begin with powerful earthquakes at 6pm local time in each of the world's regions, after which the good would be taken into Heaven.

FIVE OTHER END-OF-WORLD PREDICTIONS:
1. Followers of William Miller believed the world would end on October 22, 1844.
2.The Jehovah's Witness religion has predicted the end of the world in 1914, 1915, 1918, 1920, 1925, 1941, 1975 and 1994.
3. Charles Wesley, founder of the Methodist Church, predicted the world would end in 1794.
4. Famous forecaster Nostradamus predicted doomsday would happen in July 1999.
5. English mystic Joanna Southcott predicted the world would end on October 19, 1814, when she gave birth to the Messiah.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/enter...ard-camping-says/story-e6frep26-1226061843346

PsychoMantis

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
Nov 20, 2005
[QUOTE="FonFahbre, post: 5553986]If people continue to believe in him then wow..[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know dude but I think alot of his followers turned their backs on him after the recent prediction. He claims its now 5 months after May 21st...He was posted up in a hotel because he was scared of the backlash. :lol:

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
LOL just keep in mind Oct. 21 is the 6 month mark of may 21st..when the world ends completely..so according to this, the world would end within one day, and not 6 months lmfao..how does this guy live with himself? Oh right, off the donations.

Royals

Aug 15, 2008
Florida
[QUOTE="DreDayDetox, post: 5554008]LOL just keep in mind Oct. 21 is the 6 month mark of may 21st..when the world ends completely..so according to this, the world would end within one day, and not 6 months lmfao..how does this guy live with himself? Oh right, off the donations.[/QUOTE]

The people who actually donate to him are worse imo :lol:

yotaman12

Apprentice
Nov 13, 2009
According to my calculations, he is right. 12/25 is jesus' birthday. 12 x 25 = 300. 300 - 1, since there is only one jesus = 299. Place a dollar sign before the 2, and a decimal after the 2, and you get $2.99.

Now add $2, and you can purchase http://www.amazon.com/Private-Islan...30/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1306206876&sr=8-10

That hat will let you travel time to october 21st to see the end of the world. Trust me, I bought one.

PsychoMantis

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
Nov 20, 2005
[QUOTE="ex nihilo7, post: 5554017]He did say before May 21st if he was off then it would be on October 21st.

He needs to stop predicting.[/QUOTE]

He also claimed that the prediction in 1994 failed because of a mathmatical error, regardless hes wrong either way you slice it.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
Ohhhh yee sinners, lend me an ear, Jesus will be back October 21st so repent of sin now and Follow the Lords plan. Failing October 21, it will be:

January 11 2012
July 4th 2012
November 14 2012
February 3 2013

Send me money to help get the word out.

he's just saying the 21st because thats when the mayan calender ends next december. December 21st. All he's doing is just moving the date around randomly so he can try and get some attention.
I feel sorry for the guy, he's probably some wierdo man with Alzheimers.

i just saw this video and its pretty funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc0s358b3Ys&feature=topvideos_entertainment
It's a parody of rebbeca blacks friday but its about the rapture instead.

Last edited:

darky89

Forum Sage
Dec 3, 2007
In the bushes.
Does he ever explain how he comes to these conclusions? Or why he was off by five months?
How do people that believe this stuff need no evidence other than "some crazy old guy said it".

Last edited:

darky89

Forum Sage
Dec 3, 2007
In the bushes.
[QUOTE="ghost_rhayne, post: 5554080]Ohhhh yee sinners, lend me an ear, Jesus will be back October 21st so repent of sin now and Follow the Lords plan. Failing October 21, it will be:

January 11 2012
July 4th 2012
November 14 2012
February 3 2013

Send me money to help get the word out.[/QUOTE]

Thank god for you. How else would I be able to prepare for certain death on of those occasions possibly. Sending the money now through Jesus power.

:snicker

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="darky89, post: 5554253]Does he ever explain how he comes to these conclusions? Or why he was off by five months?
How do people that believe this stuff need no evidence other than "some crazy old guy said it".[/QUOTE]
He has proof. You never ever question the thousand year old made up book based on unbelievable stories bible.

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
[QUOTE="BoyBettaKnow, post: 5554364]He has proof. You never ever question the thousand year old made up book based on unbelievable stories bible.[/QUOTE]

Oh that was smoooth.

ozman79

Superior Member
Oct 26, 2008
Manchester, England
[QUOTE="darky89, post: 5554253]Does he ever explain how he comes to these conclusions? Or why he was off by five months?[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't know why he claims he was off by 5 months, but he worked out his original prediction based off the bible saying that the rapture and subsequent end of days are supposed to occur 7000 years after the big flood from the tale of Noah and the ark. After the flood, god gave humanity 7000 years to get it's crap together and start falling into line, before he wiped the planet clean again. That allegedly happened in the year 4990BC (6,023 years after god supposedly created everything). Add up the years that have come after that (there is no year 0AD or 0BC to include), and you get 2011AD as the 7,000th year.

Jan 8, 2008
I fail to understand the stupidity of this old fool and the brainless idiots who follow him. Expect another ridiculous excuse WHEN nothing happens on October 21st.

Zoibie

Supreme Veteran
Jun 18, 2006
[QUOTE="BoyBettaKnow, post: 5554231]You have to respect his courage for being able to openly come out and say something as monumentally stupid as that.[/QUOTE]

He's 89, he probably has all manner of metal disorders and I'm not trying to be nasty. The board/chairman/whatever of Family Radio should sit him down and tell him to go into retirement.

ozman79

Superior Member
Oct 26, 2008
Manchester, England
[QUOTE="Zoibie, post: 5554543]He's 89, he probably has all manner of metal disorders and I'm not trying to be nasty. The board/chairman/whatever of Family Radio should sit him down and tell him to go into retirement.[/QUOTE]

Why does he have to be mental? In all fairness to him, his calculations regarding the year of the rapture, based on the information available in the bible, are correct (mathematically speaking, of course). If you're of a strong Christian belief, and hold everything said in the bible to be true, then why wouldn't you believe we were in the final year of mortal existence?

Where Camping went wrong was claiming that he'd pinned it down to an exact date, which even his own religion's most sacred text states is a date that is impossible for any man to know. Not even Jesus knows when he's supposed to come back, which must be massively inconvenient for him 'cause now he can't make any plans in case they clash.

[DT]

Forum Guru
May 1, 2008
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm totally booked on that Friday, can't do it.

He's going to need to move this to Saturday, I've got the whole day wide open (no Rapture before 9am, I need at least _one_ cup of coffee...)