Fallout 4 Survival 2.0

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
Fucking. Amazing.

If you're not aware, FO4 on consoles recently got patch 1.5 which brought about a complete overhaul to the survival difficulty setting. Prior to 1.5, survival only made enemies harder to kill and made stimpacks heal slower. Now, the game is totally different. The changes are detailed in Bethesda's blog.

It has borrowed some mechanics from FO:NV and expanded on it all. Below are some of the main changes:

No fast travel
- self explanatory.

Can only quick save after sleeping - this makes the game tense as shit. It's not that bad, just have to scout around for beds, of which there are hundreds.

Hunger, thirst and exhaustion - This is awesome. After awhile you suffer from these three statuses and have debuffs to your stats. Scavenging for food and supplies is now essential, especially at the start where you have fuck all supplies and caps. I went into the SuperDuper Mart near Lexington to get food and empty bottles and I felt like I was in an episode of The Walking Dead. Empty bottles can be fulled at water sources to keep you hydrated. Nuka Cola can help fight off tiredness but induces hunger. Having to manage these states adds so much depth to the game.

Illness and antibiotics - You can contract certain illnesses in various ways, be i certain enemies or certain behaviors and these adverse effects can only be healed with antibiotics. Crippled limbs can only be healed with stimpacks and your companions won't self revive, also requiring stimpacks or they'll return to your settlement if left.

Increased damage - both you and enemies deal increased damage reducing the bullet sponginess of the game.

Adrenaline - as you kill enemies you can adrenaline which gives you a damage buff until you sleep. Do you go for that quicksave or go clear out the next building with extra kick in your shots?

Reduced carry weight - You now carry much less, and ammo has weight now. This means that you have to be more strategic about what you take on the road with you, no more running around with 10 weapons, 100 rickets and 30 mini nukes. You'll have to take the bare minimum on your expeditions to find the balance between survivability and lootability.

The rest is in the link above. It's just totally changed the game which is awesome but you really need to start again to get the full experience. I imagine once you get to around level 30 the difficulty spike may drop but it's still the definitive FO experience in my eyes.

Anyone else tried it?

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Waiting for the GOTY edition that comes with all this crap included in one kit :p

I wonder if the iNeed guy is a little dejected by this? No doubt he was porting over his mod from Skyrim for F4.

I always wondered why Bethesda didn't include a game mode like this out of the box. In skyrim, Tomatoes, Bread, Ale etc. all served no purpose, and never had anything implemented to make use of them - Until modders, that was.

The whole 'survivability' aspect coupled with the 'post-apocalyptic' setting always seems like such an obvious choice for such a mode. It's in there now, but it could have added to the marketing drive for those burnt out on modern FPS's looking for something more significant.

This will be my default when i pick up F4 ;)

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
You won't regret it! It just makes the wasteland such a more awesome place. Like I said, by levels 30-50 I'll probably be stealth roflstomping as I'm lvl 9 now and am already kicking ass the The Deliverer. But yesa, survival is almost like the way the game was supposed to be played and all the lower difficulties being easy modes. So in love with the game now. Had to choose which of my characters to start again with and opted for my stealth based one...which I'll be taking through all the DLCs in survival. Super chuffed.

Alas, a break from this as my copy of U4 has arrived. :D

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
This almost makes me want to play F4 again. I got bored real quick with it because after a certain amount of levelling it just felt hum-drum.

With this addition I could make a more valid survivor build, using perks that really didn't make much difference in the vanilla version. For example: why bother getting the rad-resist perks that prevent radiation poisoning from food and water when you could just eat it all then use one of the numerous rad-away's in your inventory? Definitely makes it a more interesting game. And the damage buff seems critical to me. Played some higher difficulty levels but it just seemed to make you have to hit enemies a stupid amount of times and just for the sake of it.

Gonna have to try this at some point....

edit: However... might have helped if I'd not traded this in to buy DS3 though :lol:

Last edited:

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="Ezekiel, post: 6511050]Just might have to give this a shot. Kinda scared and excited all at once. Bwahahahahaha.[/QUOTE]

Starting a new character will give you the best experience.

Many perks that you'd never choose in other difficulties, like Lead Belly, are invaluable in this mode. I've been working on stealth, damage and critical but will be getting the more preservation based perks very soon.

I'm addicted to this game again.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
After the patch, with the amount of ammo I collected over the time in the wasteland I weighted 5160/205.

It was a very long walk home to say the least! I like the new aspects of survival, It makes the game more challenging.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="MjW, post: 6511452]After the patch, with the amount of ammo I collected over the time in the wasteland I weighted 5160/205.

It was a very long walk home to say the least! I like the new aspects of survival, It makes the game more challenging.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I only head out with about 150 10mm for my Deliverer and 100ish 50. for my sniper. I'm lvl 58 now on my new stealth playthrough and as I anticipated, it's now more akin to previous survival but with all the added bells and whistles it's a much more immersive and well rounded experience.

Just got Vertibird 'nades...thank fuck! Seems like heaps of stuff was in the game from the getgo with this survival 2.0 in mind.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
I agree that the game becomes way more immersive. Like more things in the world make sense. I always hit the general stores for empty bottles to fill with purified water. I drink Nuka cola for the caffeine and appreciate the Vertibird lifts across the map. I plan long trips with rest stops, and when close to an objective I try to find and empty house with something to sleep/save.

Times that suck are when I reach an objective on the other side of the map and forgot to take bullets with me.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
Yeah the resource management is great now, and just the general need to plan and survive.

This is going to be my ultimate play through now...so I'm working on getting all companion perks, bobbleheads and magazines. Regarding the perks though...I lost MacCready :((( I lost him, then took another companion and elected to send him to Sanctuary but he never showed up. Of all the companions to lose, he hurt the most, especially as my survival player is a sniper. Once all is said and done mission wise, I'm going to conduct a complete sweep of the wastelands to find my long lost companion.

I got Vertibirds recently...should have done the BoS quests wayyyyyy sooner. :D

TDbank24

Master Guru
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
Sounds sweet. I haven't even given Fallout 4 a second thought really since i beat it last November. I guess i'm really starting to enjoy this gen cause i loved the game and usually would come back to a game like that sooner. Especially with DLC out.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
I haven't played a game that long for a while. I'm closing 400 hours and I'm not even finished with the mechanist DLC.

Has anybody finished the game siding with the Minutemen? Is the commonwealth full with Minutemen checkpoints after the end?

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="MjW, post: 6512076]I haven't played a game that long for a while. I'm closing 400 hours and I'm not even finished with the mechanist DLC.

Has anybody finished the game siding with the Minutemen? Is the commonwealth full with Minutemen checkpoints after the end?[/QUOTE]

I've never done it exclusively with them, they've always just been a side faction. On my survival play-through I'm probably at least 100 hours in (no way to tell) and Preston's ass is still in Museum of Freedom...where it will stay until I've got all the other companion perks and have finished the main story. I'm going with Railroad again this play through as my character is a stealth class and stealth and subterfuge is the Railroad way.

Far Harbor DLC tomorrow!

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
I don't think I have the patience to start over tbh but far harbour is going to be great. Seen the vid and it looks awesome. I am a bit biased fyi I grew up on an island and feel nostalgic.

Why are you leaving Preston there? To skip on the settlement problems?