Fans Flip Out Over EA / Xbox One Deal

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
Not everyone is going to be a fan of Battlefield Hardline when it releases. But if you go back and look at the latest trailers for the game, the response has been fairly positive. That was not the case however when EA’s latest trailer went live. The trailer is a promotion for EA Access which is currently only available on Xbox One. EAA is going to allow members to play BFH up to 5 days early for 10 hours before the game hits store shelves. As of this posting, the Battlefield Hardline EA Access trailer has over 2.5k dislikes and pages of negative reactions.

[video=youtube_share;N4QnA0YjmNI]http://youtu.be/N4QnA0YjmNI[/video]

Many of the fans have lashed out claiming that EA has placed money above fans, and believing Microsoft is using their war chest to keep early access off of PS4. These are just a small portion of the reactions from the first page.

Getting early access is a business practice that certainly isn’t new. And EA Access on Xbox has been around for awhile. So the reactions from this game compared to others which have received the same treatment is a little surprising. It could possibly be because this is such a heavily focused multiplayer game, and no one wants to get a late start.

But what is even more surprising perhaps is who is taking the brunt of the blame. EA & Microsoft.

If you recall, it was in fact Sony who turned down EA Access. A Sony Spokesman told Gamespot: “We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect.” “We don’t think asking our fans to pay an additional $5 a month for this EA-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer.”

EA Access is currently $30 a year or $5 per month. That comes with over $200 worth of free games, a 10% discount, and early access to games. While it certainly won’t be for everyone, there is obviously a large crowd who is enjoying the optional service and do feel it’s a good value. And it would appear that there is also a portion of the Playstation base who also sees potential value. So is it time for Sony to re-evaluate the value of EA Access for their customer base?

[video=youtube_share;x5aWYcO9Rjw]http://youtu.be/x5aWYcO9Rjw[/video]

This still doesn’t answer the question as to why PC fans still don’t yet have the option for EA Access. In the interest of gamer’s everywhere, the best situation would be if EA Access was an option for everyone.
http://videogamesandnews.com/fans-flip-out-over-ea-xbox-one-deal/

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Admartian, post: 6426081]I don't see the problem.

Just gamers acting like entitled children again.[/QUOTE]
Tried to post my own comment, but could not make it sound any different to this +1.

People are so damn entitled nowadays. Spoilt little arseholes is what they are. What difference does a couple of days make? seriously o_O

The thing that is most depressing is that im sure some of those guys are old and have kids of their own. Fucking lame.

YoungMullah88

PSU Live Streamer
Sep 15, 2006
Charlotte
www.playfire.com
Is it only single player access? If so, why the bitching? Even if the early access allowed mp why should ps4 players care? It's not like the online is cross plat and xb1 players will have the upper hand. I don't see what all the fuss is about. I'll probably get the game but it doesn't bother me the slightest that others with a different console will get to play it first

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
Who cares? Besides the fact that BF4 is just another generic shooter that sucks they should really be mad at Sony for turning down EA Access when EA approached them with it. Instead Sony made the decision for the consumer rather than letting the consumers decide what is or isnt good value.Not EA or MS fault. MS saw a good deal and provided it to their customers and Sony didnt despite being offered the same thing. They should be jumping on Sony for this not EA. Just wait till Mass Effect comes out and EA Access members get to play it first. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. lol

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I'm sure they can find something productive to do that week or play a different video game while waiting. Some gamers have to deal with not playing a certain game at all, or waiting several months due to the publisher translating for more than one country. But woe is the Battlefield fan who has to wait five whole days for his annual shooter from a publisher that they probably voted as the worst in the industry at one point or claimed they would boycott for whatever reason.

Oh, and god forbid Xbox One owners get a good deal, or early access I should say, whereas certain third-party titles on PS4 would get exclusive content because that's pretty much how it is now when selling consoles. Money talks the loudest in the end and Microsoft welcomed EA's new service when Sony didn't.

Last edited:

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
[QUOTE="Metal King Slime, post: 6426149]I'm sure they can find something productive to do that week or play a different video game while waiting. Some gamers have to deal with not playing a certain game at all, or waiting several months due to the publisher translating for more than one country. But woe is the Battlefield fan who has to wait five whole days for his annual shooter from a publisher that they probably voted as the worst in the industry at one point or claimed they would boycott for whatever reason.

Oh, and god forbid Xbox One owners get a good deal, or early access I should say, whereas certain third-party titles on PS4 would get exclusive content because that's pretty much how it is now when selling consoles. Money talks the loudest in the end and Microsoft welcomed EA's new service when Sony didn't.[/QUOTE]
lol preach bruvva preach!

Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
[QUOTE="nextgen3, post: 6426078]Not everyone is going to be a fan of Battlefield Hardline when it releases. But if you go back and look at the latest trailers for the game, the response has been fairly positive. That was not the case however when EA’s latest trailer went live. The trailer is a promotion for EA Access which is currently only available on Xbox One. EAA is going to allow members to play BFH up to 5 days early for 10 hours before the game hits store shelves. As of this posting, the Battlefield Hardline EA Access trailer has over 2.5k dislikes and pages of negative reactions.

[video=youtube_share;N4QnA0YjmNI]http://youtu.be/N4QnA0YjmNI[/video]

Many of the fans have lashed out claiming that EA has placed money above fans, and believing Microsoft is using their war chest to keep early access off of PS4. These are just a small portion of the reactions from the first page.

http://videogamesandnews.com/fans-flip-out-over-ea-xbox-one-deal/[/QUOTE]

Sony turned it down, if they don't like what's happening.... try knocking on Sony's door.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
EA should release the game at the same time for everyone if possible. Taking bribe money is just petty. But 5 days isn't a big deal, and people are definitely overreacting.

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
I don't think people understand what this is about, it's not that it's being sold early on MS because of money, it's because EA are able to have their EA Access service on XBox (and PC). For $30/y you have access to any game in their catalogue as long as you're subscribed - doesn't this remind you of something? It should do as it's similar to PS Nox which would be a competing service and Sony does not support these kinds of services on their platform, because of this EA Access can't be added to the PlayStation thus you can't get the game early. If you don't own EA Access on XBox/PC then you won't get the game early either.

I'm not defending EA however it is not EA's fault that this is happening, if Sony allowed for EA Access to be on their SEN service then this would not be an issue right now. If there's anyone whom you should point the finger at it's Sony not EA.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="Varsh, post: 6426201]I don't think people understand what this is about, it's not that it's being sold early on MS because of money, it's because EA are able to have their EA Access service on XBox (and PC). For $30/y you have access to any game in their catalogue as long as you're subscribed - doesn't this remind you of something? It should do as it's similar to PS Nox which would be a competing service and Sony does not support these kinds of services on their platform, because of this EA Access can't be added to the PlayStation thus you can't get the game early. If you don't own EA Access on XBox/PC then you won't get the game early either.

I'm not defending EA however it is not EA's fault that this is happening, if Sony allowed for EA Access to be on their SEN service then this would not be an issue right now. If there's anyone whom you should point the finger at it's Sony not EA.[/QUOTE]

It is just on Xbox, not PC, right?

EA is just giving its customers extra benefits for being members of EA Access. What the hell is wrong with that? It is still really stupid for Sony to not allow their customers access to this.

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
Thankfully, this game isn't cross-platform online, so the early jump those players get with equipment and unlocks won't affect me. Seems more a disservice to regular XBox customers than gamers in general.

YoungMullah88

PSU Live Streamer
Sep 15, 2006
Charlotte
www.playfire.com
[QUOTE="Varsh, post: 6426201]I don't think people understand what this is about, it's not that it's being sold early on MS because of money, it's because EA are able to have their EA Access service on XBox (and PC). For $30/y you have access to any game in their catalogue as long as you're subscribed - doesn't this remind you of something? It should do as it's similar to PS Nox which would be a competing service and Sony does not support these kinds of services on their platform, because of this EA Access can't be added to the PlayStation thus you can't get the game early. If you don't own EA Access on XBox/PC then you won't get the game early either.

I'm not defending EA however it is not EA's fault that this is happening, if Sony allowed for EA Access to be on their SEN service then this would not be an issue right now. If there's anyone whom you should point the finger at it's Sony not EA.[/QUOTE]
I don't think they compete, I mean you need ps plus to play online. That one simple fact makes these two services compatible

And the only loss of sales on Sony part will be on ea games

darky89

Forum Sage
Dec 3, 2007
In the bushes.
Also it's only 10 hours worth of play time, about a week early. Not that the game comes out a week early. And 10 hours extra start for online players... that's no different from someone being able to play because they have a day off while you're at work.

This is such a non issue, no different from pre-order bonuses.

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6426211]It is just on Xbox, not PC, right?[/QUOTE]

Ah yes you're right, it's XBox only.

[QUOTE="YoungMullah88, post: 6426236]I don't think they compete, I mean you need ps plus to play online. That one simple fact makes these two services compatible[/QUOTE]

It competes with PS Now not PS Plus.

Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
[QUOTE="Varsh, post: 6426201]I'm not defending EA however it is not EA's fault that this is happening, if Sony allowed for EA Access to be on their SEN service then this would not be an issue right now. If there's anyone whom you should point the finger at it's Sony not EA.[/QUOTE]

they really need to get at Sony over this...
"We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect," a Sony spokesperson said in a statement to Eurogamer.

"PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200 per cent since the launch of PlayStation 4, which shows that gamers are looking for memberships that offer a multitude of services, across various devices, for one low price.
"We don't think asking our fans to pay an additional $5 a month for this EA-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-30-sony-says-ea-access-program-isnt-good-value

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
Pffft, this is nothing. Imagine how Bungie fans on XB1 feel when three weapons (one of which is one of the best weapons in the game) and 3 missions were given a years exclusivity on PS4? And people are getting butthurt over 10 hours 5 days before release? LOL :lol:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007

How else to increase demand for a service other than to.....increase demand for a service ;)

Economists aren't dumb. There is high demand for one of their flagship products. To compete with a rival service you need to make your service look more attractive. Put your product just out of reach of your target audience, tease them with it.
Essentially EA are doing what Sony are doing with their treatment of EAA. However, EA have the benefit of a product people want to play (at this very millisecond because they're entitled shit-stains). People are fickle, they want to be part of the new group of people who own the 'next best thing' for whatever reason. Economists create a need for the product, and the mindless monkeys go about jumping up and down making noise and slinging shit. Putting pressure on Sony to add the service to their platform.

IMHO, EA access is just another nail in the games industries coffin. There is no inherent value in the service, and just like what they've done with Hardline, they could pull it again in future if they so chose. They have the power and authority to do so They own the game, it's distribution method and is support.

I hope Sony doesn't add EAA to playstation. It's just another way for EA to monopolise their product. People scream and shout at EA due to their lack of care for the consumer, yet they consistently move to give them more power and money...

Mass Market are so fucking stupid:facepalm:...i guess i shouldn't be surprised then.

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
EA Access is fantastic value, quite apart form these early access things, I wish you all could have it.

I paid $40NZ for 12 months access to:

-Fifa 14
-Madden 14
-NFS Rivals
-P vs Zombies Garden Warfare.
-Battlefield 4
-Peggle

Will I renew it? Probably not after the first year unless these games are refreshed, but as it stands its a great way to get some game on a new console when you cant really afford much.

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6426373]EA Access is fantastic value, quite apart form these early access things, I wish you all could have it.[/QUOTE]
Meh, i don't particularly feel the need to allow a company to monopolise it's distribution method when it itself still produces and publishes games on a very regular basis.

If EA came out tomorrow and said they were withdrawing from games publishing to focus on a broader library. Hell yeah, I'd support that shit. But as it stands; EA, Making EA games, Selling EA titles, via EA Distribution is not something i want to support. Nor do i want to give the company the power to influence the market (like they've done here).

What's the worst that comes of this for EA? People who were going to buy their title anyway buy the title still? Let's face it, for all the peoples bitching and moaning they're still going to go out and purchase Hardline.
Best case scenario? People pressure Sony into letting the service onto their platform.

P.S - I don't boycott or anything, it just happens that EA don't make titles that interest me :/

[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6426373]I paid $40NZ for 12 months access to:

-Fifa 14
-Madden 14
-NFS Rivals
-P vs Zombies Garden Warfare.
-Battlefield 4
-Peggle

Will I renew it? Probably not after the first year unless these games are refreshed, but as it stands its a great way to get some game on a new console when you cant really afford much.[/QUOTE]
That's a valid point, but i don't think EA want you to use their service like that :snicker

They'd prefer if you kept your subscription rolling. How would they do that? Increase its demand.

You only have to look at origin.
Do they offer titles from other publishers? Yep!

Where are they? Right at the bottom of the pile. Below all the BIG EA titles they want you to buy.

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6426374]Meh, i don't particularly feel the need to allow a company to monopolise it's distribution method when it itself still produces and publishes games.

If EA came out tomorrow and said they were withdrawing from games publishing to focus on a broader library. Hell yeah, I'd support that $#@!. But as it stands; EA, Making EA games, Selling EA titles, via EA Distribution is not something i want to support. Nor do i want to give the company the power to influence the market (like they've done here).

What's the worst that comes of this for EA? People who were going to buy their title anyway buy the title still? Let's face it, for all the peoples $#@!ing and moaning they're still going to go out and purchase Hardline.
Best case scenario? People pressure Sony into letting the service onto their platform.

P.S - I don't boycott or anything, it just happens that EA don't make titles that interest me :/[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure you understand what EA access is.
Its not a distribution method, all it is is an instant game library, for very little a year.
Yes there is the added benefit that if you buy some digital games you get this limited early access, but it really is not the reason to own it.
I didn't even bother with the Dragon Age one because I wanted the physical version, and I wont probably bother with this either.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6426376]I'm not sure you understand what EA access is.[/QUOTE]
I know what EAA is. I was just speaking of their operations broadly. It would be wrong to treat EAA and EA's Origin as different services.

Microsoft are a good example. Consolidating their services with the Xbox One and Windows 8/10.

Old Man Gamer

Superior Member
Jul 15, 2012
One point of observation is that MS owners feel that this is fine, especially since Sony turned it down. None Xbox owners throw out the "who cares, it only Battlefield" comments.

Sorry guys, but absolutely nothing changes around here.

In the end, this is simply EA pushing their service. Nothing more or nothing less. There is no bribery going on. And BTW, the Battlefield series is one of the most successful and most popular franchises out there. So for someone to say it's "just Battlefield" is very funny. If I can't have it then I'll trash it.,

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6426392]Cry much. Some people just aren't satisfied unless they are bitching about something. Get over it and just wait.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I don't understand what there is to whine about. Some people gonna whine about whatever they can, whenever they can.