Farpoint

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I didn't know there was a new PS VR game coming out until I kept seeing this commercial the other night. Not sure when we're going to start seeing reviews on Metacritic.

[video=youtube;AjKkYKh5dKs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjKkYKh5dKs[/video]

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
the game looks awesome! but VR is dieing as the time passes in front of us. Like most of us predicted.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
It's not dying. The initial rush calmed down, but come a price break or 2 and we'll see it do relatively well again, and next generation it will take off full force.

You predicted it would fail, but it's in its infancy right now. It needs time to mature. There's a difference between hitting a valley and coming to an end. Even if Sony doesn't keep it up, VR isn't going to die. It'll get better and eventually be widespread.

With Farpoint and Star Trek Bridge Crew out, and Capcom acknowledging how much of a success the PSVR version of RE7 was (with 10% of all play, from all 3 platforms, coming from PSVR), there's more than what you're experiencing. It's not dying out.

In fact, PSVR is doing better than Sony expected. They were expecting it to be (and it is) a slow burn. They didn't push it too much, because they thought it would spread slowly. It is, but still faster than the more expensive competitors. Of course, Phone based, incomplete VR still spreads faster, but once people try the real thing, they'll slowly be turned.

I'm sorry, but the mantra annoys me: "Just a fad" "like 3d"... What gets me is how many people actually view it as a threat. It's not gonna replace normal games, but it will become a new market that will be competitive with films, games, TV, etc. It will take another 10 years at least, but it'll get there.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6528979]Infancy. VR has been around since you and I were kids.[/QUOTE]

It was a false start. Virtual boy (not really VR) and curiosity VR sets at amusement parks were false starts. Oculus Rift was the first truly viable VR set.

So, yeah, it's in its infancy. We don't have a "language" of VR. We don't truly know what works and what doesn't. The Tech is basically at the beginning of being viable, and won't be mass market for a long time, but dying? Hardly. It's just getting started.

Last edited:

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
PS VR doing far better what sony expected. So what? You can find same words for ps3 move, ps4 first camera that they ditched out even it sold well. I feel exactly same when I first bought Vita, sony saying wait for it but not moving their asses an inc for it, it is exactly same with PSVR. Just like I said everypost I made about VR, I wish I am completely wrong about this.

TOM2x

Dedicated Member
Apr 27, 2007
Well, Shingo I wouldn't exactly say that it's dieing. So much as there hasn't been a full on killer app for it just yet. RE7 is insane in VR. Seriously, my nerves couldn't take it for too long. Also, Star Trek Bridge crew is coming at the end of the month too. If you look at that, it may just be the big thing people have been waiting for (For Trek Fans anyway). Next year will be big for this stuff. IMO anyway.