FF Versus XIII | info blowout from latest Famitsu [no scans!]

Shred0r

Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2005
Hope, it's allowed to post info that was gathered from mag scans but without actually posting them here or providing links to them.

Here is most of the new info on the latest Famitsu preview i could find so far: thx to NeoGAF for gathering them from the wilds of the net (mainly this site i guess: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/23/flying_get/, originally taken from FF Reunion)

News is coming in from Famitsu/Dengeki PlayStation.

Game will be at TGS with some new announcements. There's new screenshots showing new in-game locations.

New screens show a Shinjuku-like environment, endless wilderness, a gas station. Screens are real time.

Nomura about the game's world, "If you try to go all the way to the end, it's truly far."

Nomura on Versus XIII:

- All the screenshots in the interview are captured from the game running in real time.
- The movement of the clouds in the game are controlled by the physics engine in the game.
- The game employs an open field concept, so you can travel anywhere except into mountains.
- The encounter system is a mix of random and visible encounters? (Confusing point, the blog doesn't seem clear either.)
- Battles are seamless. The only loading in the game will occur when moving between very large areas. They're aiming for the ultimate in seamlessness.
- Objects along the paths of roads can be destroyed.
- Most people will not believe their eyes when they see the high quality of the battles in motion.
- The staff are highly motivated now.
- There will still be improvements and more polish on the visuals made, the visuals in the screens are the game running at the moment.

- You'll be able to use a car as promised. You can exit it and move on foot at any time as well.
- Enemies will be visible on the field, and while some enemies are wandering around, others will suddenly appear and surprise you. (This clarifies what the random and visible comment meant, and it also confirms that game will be similar to FFXII in that sense.)
- Nomura says they're planning for a big unveiling of Versus at some point, but he doesn't really give any deadline for it.
- There will be some announcements at TGS of titles which have not been revealed at all yet.

Nomura on Agito XIII:

- The game is in the tuning phase of development.
- There is a world map in the game, and you can ride chocobos on it and fly an airship around as well.
- Agito XIII and The 3rd Birthday are going to be the greatest titles on the PSP ever.

###

More Versus, Agito, and 3rd Birthday Updates

This update comes from FF Reunion. The Square Enix fan site reports the following bits, presumably based off various flying get sources from Famitsu and Dengeki, both of which seem to have some major Square Enix media this week:

* The Versus screenshots show a fight with a weaponized Behemoth in a city.
* Square Enix will be showing an unannounced title at TGS. Given the context, I think this means a Nomura game.
* Nomura says that the Versus visual quality will improve even beyond what's shown in the new screenshots.
* Agito's development is progressing well. You'll be able to move about on the world map via Chocobo and air ship.
* The 3rd Birthday will be of such quality that you won't think it's a PSP game. This applies to the graphics and volume.
* Nomura apparently says The 3rd Birthday will be the ultimate PSP title... until Agito comes out.

A few extra Versus XIII Details

Game Jouhou has updated with a few additional Versus XIII details from either Famitsu or Dengeki.

Apparently, the included screens show a massive wilderness scene. Also included is a battle scene that's set in a city modeled after Shinjuku, and a scene showing a gasoline stand.

Says Nomura about the game's world, "If you try to go all the way to the end, it's truly far."

Also from the Nomura interview:

* The game's cloud effects use real physics calculations
* The world is an open field, and you can go everywhere except for the mountains
* The battles are seamless
* The game's encounter system is both random and symbol-based (meaning you can see enemies in advance). Hmm... what could this mean?
* The game's world is mostly seamless, although there are some load points when you switch between the massive areas.
* You can destroy objects that you find on the road.
* The quality of the combat scenes is so high that people will not be able to believe it when they first see it.
* The staff is excited about making the game.

Nomura also confirms that the screens in the magazine are all realtime, captured off the PlayStation 3. Of course, this won't mean much until we can actually see the screens...

New Final Fantasy Versus XIII Info Coming at TGS

I believe there were some reports during E3 of The Last Guardian making an appearance at this year's Tokyo Game Show. Well it won't be carrying the PS3 all by itself! Famitsu has an article on Final Fantasy Versus XIII this week, complete with new screenshots (finally!) and a Tetsuya Nomura interview! It looks like Nomura confirms some announcements for the game at TGS!

###

[size=+1]Tetsuya Nomura on Final Fantasy Versus XIII[/size]

Hints from three gameplay screenshots featured in this week's Famitsu.

Joining a lengthy interview on Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded, this week's Famitsu has a significantly shorter interview with Tetsuya Nomura on Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

Most of the discussion focused on three new screenshots. It will be a bit tough to follow most of this summary without seeing the screens for yourself, but here are some textual descriptions.

* 1. A scene of main character Noctis standing on a cliff, looking out over a vast field, with a highway directly below, a desert clearing in the distance, and mountains in the far distance. The caption for this notes that you can walk as far as you can see.
* 2. A scene of Noctis standing in front of a gas station. In the caption for this scene, the magazine notes that one of the themes of the game is a "road movie."
* 3. A scene of Noctis facing off against a giant creature in a city-like scene. The visuals here look extremely modern -- you can see crosswalks and even bike lanes marked off on the road below. It looks like an in-game version of Tokyo, except for the giant beast.

The screens are all taken off real hardware, Nomura said. The game currently runs at the quality shown in the screens, said Nomura, and they'll be improving the visuals even further.

Not only are the screens real time, but they represent the perspective from which you'll play the game. The camera angle is for the most part what's shown in the screens -- from a third person view. They were originally considering switching to an overhead view when you moved into the outside world, but ended up keeping the the world as an open field in order to keep you close to the action.

Of course, actual screenshots will have menus and icons. According to Nomura, these bits were removed because they did not want to let details on the game out.

Nomura shared some details on a screen-by-screen basis.

Regarding the gasoline and field screen, Famitsu noted that the game's sky color is finely detailed. Nomura said first that they're using true physics calculations for the movement of the clouds. He also noted that it took the staff a while to determine the visual direction they would take with the game. They could do all sorts of different visual styles by changing such things as filters and sunlight color.

Regarding the field screenshot, Nomura said that the field is an "open field," meaning you can walk through "nearly everything" shown in the field screenshot except for the mountains. He also said, "If you want to go to the end, it's truly far."

Regarding the city scene with the beast, Nomura pointed out that the beast is a military-use behemoth. It has a giant sword on its back.

The city scene is actually a battle screen. Normally, it would have a command menu and other information.

The menus and prompts aren't all that's missing, though. Noctis is shown fighting the behemoth by himself. In the actual game, you'll fight as part of a party. The reason the party members aren't shown in the screen is because Square Enix has yet to officially reveal the weapons and clothing for these characters.

Famitsu noted of the battle scene, the "Shinjuku cityscape is real." The model for the area, said Nomura, is the surroundings of Square Enix's Shinjuku office, right down to the bicycle markings on the street.

The three areas shown in the screenshots are all connected. The screen with the field and the screen with the gasoline stand are from the same location. The field extends out from the rear of the gas stand. These two areas are located immediately outside the city depicted in the battle screenshot.

It all looks like a pretty large area for what appears to be the game's prologue location, Famitsu noted. No need to worry, though, as Nomura revealed that you'll have access to a car. You can board and disembark your car whenever you like. Take your car out into the field area, and you'll eventually approach the submerged area that was shown in past promotional trailers.

It looks like you'll encounter monsters out on the field. Some will be roaming about, with Nomura citing an example of a behemoth walking around on a hill in the distance. In other instances, monsters will appear quickly.

In this week's "Flying get" column, there was a bullet point about the game featuring both symbol and random encounters. I presume this is where these points come from. Nomura did not specially mention symbol and random encounters, though, so it may be a bit too hasty to picture an RPG-like system.

Asked if the field and battles will be seamless, meaning no loading or screen transitions, Nomura said that the battles will be for the most part seamless. When you move between large areas, and when there are event cut-ins, there may be some loading, although the staff is trying to make the game as seamless as possible.

The magazine closed off by asking Nomura when we can expect additional Versus XIII details. This is still a ways off, he said, but he added "We're making preparations for a big announcement."
* head_explodes.gif *

I am pumped with hype as i love the open world of Dragon Quest VIII. Only with this game, the setting is a post-apocalyptic world which i also welcome being a longtime-fan of the Fallout-franchise. The only doubts i have are regarding the combat: i really hope it doesnt turn out to be a action-slasher like Crisis Core was. Although it was fun i felt it was a bit too arcadey to my liking, considering i still prever old-school turn-based RPGs...

Would love if they keep some aspects of previous FF installments like the limit breaker bar and basically keep the battle mechanics "complex" enough to induce strategic thinking (when fighting against harder enemies at least). Would be cool if one could upgrade his car with some gadgets to travel faster through the world, equip it with a scanner to scan for interesting places, monsters, treasures etc.. Basically enhance the travel experience. As a gameplay mechanic it would be also nice if the car would run out of gasoline (or whatever resource they use) to make you think twice before going for a ride. This way you would find it more rewarding when reaching a nice spot with a hidden treasure or whatever awaits you. But it would have to be done carefully to avoid becoming frustrating over time when always in need of gasoline to reach some place. The gasoline would have to be available at most places but you would have to do to different tasks to get your hands on it. From fighting monsters, searching places to helping out people in form of side quests. Just an ideal to keep the travelling challenging and therefore rewarding when you finally reach your desired place, knowing the used gasoline was worth the ride (and that you have still enough in your tank to be able to drive back home ^^)

I tell you guys, TGS will be the explosion, E3 was only the ignition!

Last edited:
S

Stig

WOW. Reading all of that it sounds like they are doing everything that I want in a FF game!! It seriously sounds too good to be true...I can't wait for scans and TGS!!!!!

Mael Duin

Elite Sage
Sep 12, 2005
Two pictures has been posted on the other thread in FF-section, second page.
World looks very falloutish.

WOW. Reading all of that it sounds like they are doing everything that I want in a FF game!! It seriously sounds too good to be true...I can't wait for scans and TGS!!!!!
Same for me. Can't wait for TGS.

S

Stig

Yeah, saw the scans now (thanks Google). It does look very post-apocalyptic, but I am sure there will be some great variety in the environments. I can't believe the detail they seem to be adding! The day/night cycle and clouds sound like a brilliant start! And if the combat is like FFXII then I am ever more excited if that is possible!!

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="Tom1525, post: 5067453]Ps3 exclusive?[/QUOTE]
At the moment, yes. Will it change... I personally doubt it, but after FFXIII went multiplatform I'll never say never. That said, I think Versus XIII is in a more MGS4-like situation where everyone likes to speculate about it going multiplatform and every other day we'll get some new rumors that state as much, but which will quite likely not end up multiplatform. It's not impossible, but yeah, I'd bank on it being PS3 exclusive for good.

[QUOTE="Stig, post: 5067458] And if the combat is like FFXII then I am ever more excited if that is possible!![/QUOTE]
No. It's more Kingdom Hearts than FFXII. A bit heavier since you're not controlling a cartoon character but a bit more realistic character, but still an action RPG rather than whatever you want to classify FFXII as.

dinotante

Dedicated Member
Jan 7, 2008
[QUOTE="ps3_spid3y, post: 5067779]Is this game going to have the linear structure of 13 too?[/QUOTE]

Its gonna have an open world