FFVIII Remake

Xraein

Dedicated Member
May 6, 2008
Venus
I always hear stuff about remakin' FFVII and it seems most of the people want it, but why not FFVIII? I wish Square remake it~ meh or at least make a movie. Your thoughts FF players!

D

Darji

[QUOTE="Xraein, post: 0]I always hear stuff about remakin' FFVII and it seems most of the people want it, but why not FFVIII? I wish Square remake it~ meh or at least make a movie. Your thoughts FF players![/quote]
Yeah i totally would love it but please please without the draw system^^

gillmanjr

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2008
NY
My thoughts are that VII is the best video game ever made, VIII doesn't even come close to it. But I would definitely buy an VIII remake because it's still a good game.

AaronSOLDIER

Ultimate Veteran
Apr 5, 2007
forums.final7fantasy.com
[QUOTE="gillmanjr, post: 0]My thoughts are that VII is the best video game ever made, VIII doesn't even come close to it. But I would definitely buy an VIII remake because it's still a good game.[/quote]

This.

I think after they are 20 years old each they'll have a remake by then.

Đipic

Dedicated Member
Oct 13, 2008
Nah, doesn't need one IMO.

Would I buy and play it if they decided to do one? Sure, I guess, but VIII doesn't really rank that high on my list of favorite FF games.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
It won't happen any time soon. At least not a fully fledged remake.

Personally, I don't want any remakes. Not even an FFX remake, and that's by far my favorite game.

King_of_Games

Superior Member
Apr 28, 2009
www.youtube.com
X doesn't need a remake at this point. rofl

I wanted a remake of VII, until I played the original. It sucks. Cloud is probably the most boring protagonist ever. The side characters aren't any better. The story is bland, nothing really fantastical about it, reminds me of XII. I wish people would stop spouting nonsense like this is the best FF ever, when it's not even in the top three. VIII > VII.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="King_of_Games, post: 0]X doesn't need a remake at this point. rofl[/quote]

Well, I don't ever want a remake of FFX. I want S-E to utilize their effort on creating even better Final Fantasies.

AaronSOLDIER

Ultimate Veteran
Apr 5, 2007
forums.final7fantasy.com
[QUOTE="King_of_Games, post: 0]X doesn't need a remake at this point. rofl

I wanted a remake of VII, until I played the original. It sucks. Cloud is probably the most boring protagonist ever. The side characters aren't any better. The story is bland, nothing really fantastical about it, reminds me of XII. I wish people would stop spouting nonsense like this is the best FF ever, when it's not even in the top three. VIII > VII.[/quote]

Depends when you played it really, sounds like you only just played it within the last couple of years which of course you won't enjoy it anywhere near what we did back in the 90s. FF7 was many people's first RPGs, especially in Europe, and for its time, it was a huge achievement not only in the series, but in the entire genre as well.

I don't think any game has ever changed a genre like FF7 did. VII > VIII.

"X"

Apprentice
Jul 24, 2009
www.last.fm
[QUOTE="Xraein, post: 0]I always hear stuff about remakin' FFVII and it seems most of the people want it, but why not FFVIII? I wish Square remake it~ meh or at least make a movie. Your thoughts FF players![/quote]

Remake, naaaaaaaaaah, wouldn't mind a movie though. Only if they do Zell justice :cool:

AaronSOLDIER

Ultimate Veteran
Apr 5, 2007
forums.final7fantasy.com
[QUOTE="King_of_Games, post: 0]VII gained a lot popularity overseas because it was the first FF game with 3D graphics. Make this a 2D game and you get an average Final Fantasy.[/quote]

It was the first FF game in Europe because SCE could actually be bothered to localise it unlike Nintendo.

Being the best selling FF game over 6 and even in Japan where they had the first 6 its probably because it was an awesome game back then.

Extehc

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2009
www.edgeofnowhere.cc
Definitely not. I am playing this game for the first time and it honestly isn't that great. The draw system is annoying, card manipulation to get some of the best items is lame. Give me a remake of FFVI and I'll be content. But 8 does not need a remake, its not that great compared to some of the other games.

[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 0]No
Rather have VII, IX, VI, Tactics (on console)[/quote]

Sums it up nicely.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
You don't NEED a remake, that's the thing. Play the original. Let Square Enix focus on making new Final Fantasy titles so that they can become classics the same way games like Final Fantasy VII became classics. I'm sure most people will forget all about the original when the remake would only improve upon so many things, if not just the graphics and cutscenes.

Furthermore, the expectations for remakes are way too high. Afterall, you're ONLY asking for a remake to the best title in the franchise, right? With that said, you can't say die-hard fans expect anything less than perfection. And it's funny that I bring this up because I remember a couple members saying that Square Enix's products have decreased in quality, so you expect a remake to be any different? Lol, I'm just saying... :/

I mean, if you're asking for a remake, you're not appreciating the original. The "best Final Fantasy" is a classic that no remake can do justice because it's already perfect, despite how outdated its visuals are today.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Remakes should have different options in the start phase of each game I think.
Which let's players decide whether they'ld like to play with the old or revamped combat mechanics, classic or remastered/remixed music, etc.

That said, I believe remaking FF8 for the HD era would be easier than with FF7, because the more realistic, anime-like visuals are already present in the old game. Besides, FF7 has aged much better than FF8, graphics-vise me thinks, with FF8 being all pixelated. Maybe we'll get both? Or FF8, FF7 AND FF6?

Đipic

Dedicated Member
Oct 13, 2008
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 0]It won't happen any time soon. At least not a fully fledged remake.

Personally, I don't want any remakes. Not even an FFX remake, and that's by far my favorite game.[/quote]
It's mine as well... I certainly wouldn't mind an HD "remake" ala God of War collection if they did one though. (and do it to the international version as I sorely missed out on that :))

[QUOTE="K2D, post: 4899325]
That said, I believe remaking FF8 for the HD era would be easier than with FF7, because the more realistic, anime-like visuals are already present in the old game. Besides, FF7 has aged much better than FF8, graphics-vise me thinks, with FF8 being all pixelated. Maybe we'll get both? Or FF8, FF7 AND FF6?[/quote]
LOL WUT

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
LOL! You don't know how difficult it was to find a screenshot that shows what I'm talkin' about.
I believe you're pic' of FF8 steems from the PC-version.

I would argue that the super-mutated characters in FF7 looks better than the attempt to obtain realistic 3d characters in FF8.

Notice how Squall has a single brow and a single pixel mouth, for a face.

Edit: This is not FF8 hate. I actually enjoy FF8's story equally if not more than ff7's story.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="The Praiseworthy, post: 0]FFVIII doesn't need a remake at all.[/quote]

You're free to comment about why "FFVIII doesn't need a remake at all".

Because you don't think it was a good game? Or that it, in your opinion, stands the test of time?

I, for one, think FF8 deserves a remake.

Edit: My guess to why people don't want a remake of FF8 is that they either think it's a bad game or that it still looks as good as when it launched, that they'd rather only see new games alltogether or all of the above..

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 0]You're free to comment about why "FFVIII doesn't need a remake at all".

Because you don't think it was a good game? Or that it, in your opinion, stands the test of time?

I, for one, think FF8 deserves a remake.[/quote]

cause it dosent have that one char...god what was his name....he complained alot about wanting to be with his mom, killed some girl, played tag with the lead char of the game, has long siver hair and a big sword thats like a smuri sword which is awsome....Sephirtoh thats it lol

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
I kind of preferred Sephiroth before he went all nutty. He's actually the I person felt the most empathy for - but that is for another thread lol

Oct 11, 2006
[QUOTE="King_of_Games, post: 0]X doesn't need a remake at this point. rofl

I wanted a remake of VII, until I played the original. It sucks. Cloud is probably the most boring protagonist ever. The side characters aren't any better. The story is bland, nothing really fantastical about it, reminds me of XII. I wish people would stop spouting nonsense like this is the best FF ever, when it's not even in the top three. VIII > VII.[/quote]

I agree with this. Final Fantasy 8 was great. 7 was not that great, it was only okay. X was pretty bad, heck I thought 12 was better. My favorite is FF6. When I played 6 then moved onto 7, I was thinking that it was going okay until then end of the game. Lets be honest here, Final Fantasy 7 feels like half a game when compared to 6.

King_of_Games

Superior Member
Apr 28, 2009
www.youtube.com
[QUOTE="Typical guy, post: 0]I agree with this. Final Fantasy 8 was great. 7 was not that great, it was only okay. X was pretty bad, heck I thought 12 was better. My favorite is FF6. When I played 6 then moved onto 7, I was thinking that it was going okay until then end of the game. Lets be honest here, Final Fantasy 7 feels like half a game when compared to 6.[/quote]

You think X is bad? Really? I think X is the best in the series (VIII a close second). I haven't played 6 yet, so I can't really say if it's up there or not.

Now, to be completely honest, what makes a great game to me is when there's a love story included. It makes the story feel more complete. When I played XII, a game devoid of anything remotely close to love, it just felt soulless. That's the main reason why I don't like XII. If the developers would have made Vaan a couple years older (and a little less gay), they could have developed a love story around him and Ashe which would have made the game ten thousand times better.

Xraein

Dedicated Member
May 6, 2008
Venus
For those who think FFVIII doesn't need a remake cause it's too good or whatever the reason is, tell me why most of FFVII fans still whining 'bout a remake for it? I mean isn't it an awesome game? why a remake then pffft.

And also anyone that thinks FFVIII isn't good, I know everyone has their own opinion but this game is fastest selling Final Fantasy title of all time which means it's a great game, and IMO it's better than FFVII (I have nothing against it, but everyone talks about it as if it's the only best FF game ever)

FFVIII deserves a remake why? 'cause I liked it and many fans want a remake so there should a remake for it. It won't hurt anyone if Square decided to remake it. Jeez it's just a game after all so be easy 'bout it.

D0nni3

Superior Member
Jan 5, 2006
I'm getting more and more a feeling these days that they should leave the classics as they are 7 was amazing for me the story was solid and never dull (remember this is opinion) 8 also had it's charms and have played it again recently and enjoyed it. If it came to a remake Square could ruin them and would an update in graphics with the old battle system leave it feeling dated i think things that are so good should be left as they are we can always revisit them and enjoy them just as much as we did back when they came out

If it came down to it and they decided to remake one i would still leave alot more to 7 because the story was pieced together alot better.

AaronSOLDIER

Ultimate Veteran
Apr 5, 2007
forums.final7fantasy.com
^^ Because SE showed that tech demo, before that nobody even thought of a remake.

Furthermore, the expectations for remakes are way too high. Afterall, you're ONLY asking for a remake to the best title in the franchise, right? With that said, you can't say die-hard fans expect anything less than perfection. And it's funny that I bring this up because I remember a couple members saying that Square Enix's products have decreased in quality, so you expect a remake to be any different? Lol, I'm just saying... :/
Well to be perfectly honest the only game from Square Enix that I REALLY liked and wouldve qualified as a Squaresoft game is Crisis Core. Even though I knew what was coming it was like experiencing that scene allover again except it was much sadder in Crisis Core surprisingly.

BTW, Sephiroth isn't the best villain in the whole series, Kefka is, but Sephiroth is definitely second. Other than Garland and Kefka, all the villains from NES/SNES sucked.