FFXIII Going Multiplatform, How does it Really Affect Sony?

Saix7

Superior Member
May 5, 2007
I'm sure many readers may think this is a damage control article, but rest assured, it's not. When Microsoft secured a multiplatform release for Final Fantasy XIII on the Xbox 360, it definitely damaged Sony (and Square Enix to a certain extent). However, in hindsight, it may not be a bad thing for Sony that Final Fantasy XIII went multiplatform. Let me explain why.

1. At the moment Final Fantasy XIII is secured as exclusive to the PlayStation 3 in Japan, although it has been rumored that Microsoft may announce a Japanese release of FFXIII on Xbox 360 at E3. If this happens though, it will not be day and date; there will be a severe delay. Previous Final Fantasy games have consistently shifted approximately 2 million units in the first 5 days, each time with an install base of about 4 million. Unusually, Japan is the region where Final Fantasy performs the best, so having exclusive rights to a Final Fantasy game there means that it will definitely push console sales up. Also, bear in mind that by the time FFXIII is released, there will almost definitely have been a PS3 price cut, so expect good sales.

2. When the game releases in Europe and North America, it is said to be releasing day and date on both the PS3 and 360 (according to Microsoft, not Square Enix). This means that most likely the Xbox 360 version of the game will outsell the PS3 version in North America, but probably not by much. Multi-console owners will choose the PS3 version of the game, as it will be on a single Blu-Ray disc rather than (most likely) 4 DVD discs.

3. If people buy and like the 360 version of the game, they will realise that the whole FFXIII universe (Fabula Nova Crystallis) can only be played on Sony formats; Final Fantasy Versus XIII exclusively on the PS3, and Final Fantasy Agito XIII exclusively on PSP. This should lead to an increase in sales for Sony formats, as well as increasing the number of Final Fantasy fans.

4. Sony owns an 8.26% (approximately) stake in Square Enix. This means that 8.26% of all profit, from each copy sold, whether on PS3 or 360, goes into Sony's pocket. So people purchasing the Xbox 360 version of the game, however hardened fanboys they are, will be supporting their greatest enemy in the console war.

5. PlayStation 3 owners will be getting the better version of the game. Square Enix have said many times, that once the PS3 version of FFXIII is complete, it will then be ported to the 360 whilst the PS3 version of the game is localized. Take into account that FFXIII is being optimized for PS3 first, and you realise that the Xbox 360 version will look (at least) slightly worse (PS3 to 360 ports tend to look only slightly worse compared to 360 to PS3 ports)
http://www.ps3center.net/news/2768/ffxiii-going-multiplatform-how-does-it-really-affect-sony/

Basically it says that the 360 version is inferior to the PS3 version.

Which in most cases you would think so, even though SE said they would TRY to make them the same quality.

But so far it's not looking good.

Jun 13, 2008
Well it's a multiplatform engine isn't it? You never know..

The biggest hurdle I see is the disc space limitation but smart people could probably find a way.

Overall it's hard to say. I mean they haven't even started the 360 version yet, much less finish the Japanese PS3 version. I think we'll know more later on when we get more info about latest builds and stuff.

Jun 28, 2007
Well it's a multiplatform engine isn't it? You never know..

The biggest hurdle I see is the disc space limitation but smart people could probably find a way.

Overall it's hard to say. I mean they haven't even started the 360 version yet, much less finish the Japanese PS3 version. I think we'll know more later on when we get more info about latest builds and stuff
Well Yeah of course it's the disc space, but another thing SE said that they were going to use 100% of the PS3's Power. If that is true then basically their stating that the 360 version is inferior, considering that the PS3 is more powerful than the 360.

How will the 360 version compete with that?
There are so many problems already, with rumors that the Demo was over 5GB, the disc space (Star Ocean was multiple discs, FFXIII might be more), the 100% of power, also it's interesting when they said each copy sold gives profit to the PS3, even if it's the 360 version. So it doesn't really matter how many sell in North America, it's just giving profit to the PS3.

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
Its all very interesting especially when you factor in the fact that Sony owns over 8% of SE, and the other FNC games will e on Sony platforms... hmm, it will definitely be interesting to see how it all goes, sales and whatnot.

Jun 13, 2008
[QUOTE="Roxas13, post: 0]Well Yeah of course it's the disc space, but another thing SE said that they were going to use 100% of the PS3's Power. If that is true then basically their stating that the 360 version is inferior, considering that the PS3 is more powerful than the 360.

How will the 360 version compete with that?
There are so many problems already, with rumors that the Demo was over 5GB, the disc space (Star Ocean was multiple discs, FFXIII might be more), the 100% of power, also it's interesting when they said each copy sold gives profit to the PS3, even if it's the 360 version. So it doesn't really matter how many sell in North America, it's just giving profit to the PS3.[/quote]

A large userbase in NA.

Do you mean each copy sold gives profit to SquareEnix? I don't see how 360 version sales will profit the ps3 seeing SE is third party.

Even if the 360 version is inferior, either a little or a lot, if it sells a lot better on the 360, that would not be good news for the ps3.

People of our tribe, gamers who follow the news about things, to us it'll matter that the power of the ps3 is fully utilized for a game. To us it will matter that this games is being run at it's most optimum.

The question is though, how many of us are there vs. how many of the 360 owners who don't really care and just want the game?

Edit:

Has that article always been there? I don't think I saw it earlier lol

Anyways, just read the bit about the 8 something % of sales..

I guess there is that but I gotta wonder how much better cash flow it'd be for Sony if it stayed exclusive. There's a stimulation of ps3 sales for one. With a multiplat release there's less reason to buy a ps3 for some people I'm sure.

Kaze

Superior Member
Nov 14, 2007
I'll have to disagree with the fact that 360 sales will exceed PS3 sales. Many recent 360 users don't have a clue what Final Fantasy is. I know this through personal experience, as almost 90% of my friends own a 360. They show no interest in a RPG game, and have no lust for it. However many ps3 owners purchased this system knowing that the previous generation was flooded with RPG's. Therefore a lot of RPG fans have selected the PS3 over the 360. I believe this is a major factor, and will indefinatly result in the ps3 shifting more copies then the 360.

ufo8mycat

Superior Member
Jan 26, 2009
The difference between the two will be hardly noticable, just like it is between 360 games ported to PS3.

The one thing I am curious about though, is how many discs it will be on the 360

Kagari

Super Elite
Apr 25, 2007
As for NA sales, it'll be close like DMC4 and SF4 were with maybe PS3 edging out 360 (happened before with Silent Hill 5 actually). I see a lot of people now saying they'll buy the system (PS3) for the game even though it's multiplatform. Being multidisc for the other version certainly won't help. By the time FFXIII is out, the PS3 will undoubtedly be cheaper as well. And like that article did say, you still need the system to play Versus XIII.

Jun 13, 2008
[QUOTE="Kaze, post: 0]I'll have to disagree with the fact that 360 sales will exceed PS3 sales. Many recent 360 users don't have a clue what Final Fantasy is. I know this through personal experience, as almost 90% of my friends own a 360. They show no interest in a RPG game, and have no lust for it. However many ps3 owners purchased this system knowing that the previous generation was flooded with RPG's. Therefore a lot of RPG fans have selected the PS3 over the 360. I believe this is a major factor, and will indefinatly result in the ps3 shifting more copies then the 360.[/quote]

There's that. And really, that's the best I can hope for.

The doomsday scenario will hopefully remain just that; unlikely and will not pass.

The best thing that can happen from this is that it will reinforce the ps3 as the platform to go to for RPGs of all sorts. The worst is that things on the 360 sells better. Crossing my fingers for the more likely scenario which is the first one.

Dec 11, 2008
I have a feeling that it won't make that big of an impact. You know that it won't do all that well in Japan for the 360. I think the more interesting thing is that this may be one of the only times so far this gen that a game gets made for the PS3 and is ported to the 360.

I'm sure each version will look about the same...but I am sure the 360 version will have to be "uploaded to the hard drive" in which case arcade/regular 360 users will have to buy a 160 gig hard drive in order to play it....shame. Even more money out of pocket. I am not so much angry for it going multiplatform.. I am angry for the fact that we have to wait twice as long for a release because it is being ported. Nahhh they couldn't have done a single multi-country release like usual....that would have been too easy. Seriously, I really don't see this title being that good. All this dev time for....nothing. If the last remnant and lost oddesey are any indicator...their games have sucked as of late. I lost faith in square right around the time they added that whole "Enix" thing to the end of their name.

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
[QUOTE="triggap, post: 0]
The best thing that can happen from this is that it will reinforce the ps3 as the platform to go to for RPGs of all sorts. The worst is that things on the 360 sells better. Crossing my fingers for the more likely scenario which is the first one.[/quote]

With FFXIII exclusive in Japan, even if it is just for 6 months, that is going to be a HUGE seller, as the article states. And with the slow addition of RPGs to the PS3 (Demons Souls, WKC) i think it will be okay :p

F

fleinn

..of course it hurts Sony. If not in real terms, because the xbox people are less likely to buy the game, and people are even less likely to buy an xbox to play this type of game - it challenges Sony's presence in the market. Even if the 360 got a technologically inferior game spread over 16 discs, it would still be a psychological whack for the Playstation brand. And no doubt this entire thing proves to all kinds of people that the 360 is a superior challenger to the more expensive ps3.

I.e.: this proves the 360 is equally as powerful as the ps3 ("everything the ps3 can do can also be done on the 360, I have read a wikipedia article on multithreading, so shut up"). Or, this puts the xbox out as a challenger for playstation in all markets. Or, this means the xbox is increasing it's life- span, serving entirely new titles even though they're optimised for another platform, it's more viable for expansion, etc, etc.

All those kinds of things will just be ramping up most likely, in glorious anticipation for the next xbox. And then we will have the hype- train again. Because this is not about logic, or looking at a potential source of income, and then trying to find out if it paid for itself later on. The point is to spawn hype and investment on beforehand and throughout the life- span of the console. Whether it ends up hemorrhaging money for a company in the end, it doesn't matter. Specially if you create your own benchmarks, and don't have goals such as "creating content", or "investing in growing the games- development sector", and so on.

Just a small crossover to the other thread - why do you think Jaffe is pissed with the large players in the industry? It's because they earn more money and get higher profit- margins, without the development part of games business growing. In fact it's shrinking, amidst ever increasing demands that games need to be larger and more complex. While they also have to be made more quickly, have more constraints in terms of format and technology... and ultimately cost less.

So in a nutshell - Square Enix getting more money for a project they would otherwise would've stopped development on earlier... which didn't necessarily have much practical need for going exclusively on the ps3 anyway... that obviously makes sense to them. But that stunt doesn't give development of new IPs a boost. Even if it ends up actually shifting millions of xboxes, it still will not actually affect the size of the software sector, or increase the amount of money in creating large video- game productions.

So of course it hurts Sony the console maker and entertainment company (and so what). The question is what it says about the future of the industry in terms of whether it can possibly pay off to drive the business in the way MS is trying at the moment. Whether they are viable in the long run, and will have any kind of return on their "investment".

May 20, 2007
One thing we don't know is how much MS and Sony are going to market this game outside of Japan. MS may really try to put it in people's heads that this game is on the Xbox console.

One thing in the American market is that most people consider the 360 as the De Facto HD console. That also goes along with the fact that jRPGs used to be the more popular genre, but now FPS have taken that spot with games like Gears and Halo.

I do think a likely scenario is that PS3 and 360 version will be tied in America, EU - 2/3 PS3 vs. 1/3 Xbox 360. In Japan - 90%-100% on PS3 vs. 0-10% on 360, if it's somehow announced for 360 there.

As far as graphics are concerned, what I saw on the Demo is more crisp, smoother, and more detailed that anything I've seen on the 360. If SE is going all the way through with trying to make the 360 version look as good as the PS3 version, then this will be without a doubt the best looking 360 game.

Shin Asura

Master Guru
Aug 23, 2006
Working out with Juri
It doesn't because Sony made it a point to focus on their first party titles this gen

Games like God of War 3 are going to show people just how good first party titles can be.

First party titles weren't as big on the PS2 than they are on the PS3

D

Dom102

[QUOTE="Classic, post: 0]Sony is too stacked with exclusives to effected by this one game.I know its Final Fantasy, but still.....[/quote]

Final Fantasy is a big, big, big deal.

Kopkiwi

Power Member
May 11, 2007
[QUOTE="thebrowncub, post: 0]I have a feeling that it won't make that big of an impact. You know that it won't do all that well in Japan for the 360. I think the more interesting thing is that this may be one of the only times so far this gen that a game gets made for the PS3 and is ported to the 360.[/quote]

Course it wont, being that it isn't coming on 360 in Japan :rolleyes:

I had to laugh at the 4 DVD part. God I hated having to change disks halfway through a game. It might not be a major thing to some, but god I love the capacity and advantages of blu-ray.

Kopkiwi

Power Member
May 11, 2007
[QUOTE="Shin Asura, post: 0]It's bigger in Japan than the US

There's a lot of talent in the first party games division for Sony[/quote]

I think the attention the game is getting due to it going multi plat could garner a high sales figure than had it of stayed exclusive in NA?

Jun 13, 2008
[QUOTE="kopkiwi, post: 0]I think the attention the game is getting due to it going multi plat could garner a high sales figure than had it of stayed exclusive in NA?[/quote]

Yup. There's probably a % of sales just 'cause of the attention thing which I think they're counting on. With the amount of money they've already spent on the project.... *shrugs*

S

S0nyfan

This game and Versus will show the true difference between the PS3 and 360.

Most likely cementing peoples opinions on the console "wars".

Shin Asura

Master Guru
Aug 23, 2006
Working out with Juri
[QUOTE="kopkiwi, post: 0]I think the attention the game is getting due to it going multi plat could garner a high sales figure than had it of stayed exclusive in NA?[/quote]

The attention the game is receiving in NA is mostly from the megaton bombshell announcement from E3 last year. Sales for the game on the 360 may go up because of curiosity, wanting to know why PS3 owners got pissed off at the announcement, wanting to give game from the top JRPG developer / publisher a try, it won't be because they already knew about it

I'm sure the media went crazy that day and the backlash from all of the reports will help to fuel sales on the 360. It's all about the media, I'm sure MS will advertise the game to hell on TV and the internet as well as other media

PS3 owners will buy the game due to familiarity, 360 owners most likely will buy it out of curiosity. Sales may be close for both systems

[QUOTE="S0nyfan, post: 0]This game and Versus will show the true difference between the PS3 and 360.

Most likely cementing peoples opinions on the console "wars".[/quote]

You assume too much

Kopkiwi

Power Member
May 11, 2007
[QUOTE="Shin Asura, post: 0]The attention the game is receiving in NA is mostly from the megaton bombshell announcement from E3 last year. Sales for the game on the 360 may go up because of curiosity, wanting to know why PS3 owners got pissed off at the announcement, wanting to give game from the top JRPG developer / publisher a try, it won't be because they already knew about it

I'm sure the media went crazy that day and the backlash from all of the reports will help to fuel sales on the 360. It's all about the media, I'm sure MS will advertise the game to hell on TV and the internet as well as other media

PS3 owners will buy the game due to familiarity, 360 owners most likely will buy it out of curiosity. Sales may be close for both systems
[/quote]

Yeah, you've pretty much taken what I said and made it long winded.

S

S0nyfan

[QUOTE="Shin Asura, post: 0]You assume too much[/quote]

When people see 1 bluray Vs 3-5 dvds for the 360 etc it will help the PS3.

When Disk 3 gets scratched and your left with dud disks it will be over the interwebs.

When the Video and Audio quality has to be scaled back to fit dvd people will notice.

This game will be picked apart like no other with people picking on the most subtle of differences.

geostar

Super Elite
Nov 24, 2008
It's a big game that most many gamers will buy for their system, but clearly the PS3 is going to be the best version based on sound quality alone.

tgf5

Dedicated Member
Sep 10, 2007
[QUOTE="Kaze, post: 0]I'll have to disagree with the fact that 360 sales will exceed PS3 sales. Many recent 360 users don't have a clue what Final Fantasy is. I know this through personal experience, as almost 90% of my friends own a 360. They show no interest in a RPG game, and have no lust for it. However many ps3 owners purchased this system knowing that the previous generation was flooded with RPG's. Therefore a lot of RPG fans have selected the PS3 over the 360. I believe this is a major factor, and will indefinatly result in the ps3 shifting more copies then the 360.[/quote]

And as proof we see failed sales in a pretigious franchise like Star Ocean 4, and also lack of support for games like Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant.

[QUOTE="Shin Asura, post: 0]The attention the game is receiving in NA is mostly from the megaton bombshell announcement from E3 last year. Sales for the game on the 360 may go up because of curiosity, wanting to know why PS3 owners got pissed off at the announcement, wanting to give game from the top JRPG developer / publisher a try, it won't be because they already knew about it

PS3 owners will buy the game due to familiarity, 360 owners most likely will buy it out of curiosity. Sales may be close for both systems[/quote]

I don't know about that though. It's not like every gamer goes on forums or looks up info on E3 to see what's going on and see the reactions of people. I had no idea what E3 was 2 years ago, and I had no idea about this forum at the same time. And anyways, I'm sure how Microsoft will market a game that is multiplatform :lol:.

"Only on Xbox360... and PS3"

Shin Asura

Master Guru
Aug 23, 2006
Working out with Juri
[QUOTE="S0nyfan, post: 0]When people see 1 bluray Vs 3-5 dvds for the 360 etc it will help the PS3.

When Disk 3 gets scratched and your left with dud disks it will be over the interwebs.

When the Video and Audio quality has to be scaled back to fit dvd people will notice.

This game will be picked apart like no other with people picking on the most subtle of differences.[/quote]

Consumers only know what they're shown and the majority don't have time or care to research, it won't matter

S

S0nyfan

[QUOTE="Shin Asura, post: 0]Consumers only know what they're shown and the majority don't have time or care to research, it won't matter[/quote]

maybe 10 years ago

not today with information at your finger tips.

consumer watch dog programmes have already slated the 360 twice here in the UK 1 for disk scratching the other RROD