FFXIII sequel now seems very likely

Aizen-Sama

Master Poster
Jan 16, 2009
Carrying on from HiddenMysts findings in this thread - http://www.psu.com/forums/threads/242790-Square-Enix-Hints-at-FFXIII-2/page3

[QUOTE="HiddenMyst, post: 5322407]I guess all of us Final Fantasy XIII fans are getting what we want. Final Fantasy 13-2 is an almost inevitable game. Im sure most of you have read the translations of the Episode I from international version if not here you go!.
http://dilly-shilly.blogspot.com/2010/12/final-fantasy-xiii-episode-i.html

Spoiler:

In the last part of the episodes you will read that Lightning is in a sealike zone sorrounded with monsters, no animals, no plants, no life in general, she knows nothing else to do than keep moving forward.
Speculations have led to belief that Goddes Etro was the one who made lightning end up there (you will understand more if you read the Episode I )

Here are current hints at Final Fantasy XIII-2
- "She must not be forgotten" written by Toriyama on some kind of present to ultimate square members
- The Episode I translations (probably the biggest hint)
- If you read the translations each one of the main characters speaks of saving Fang and Vanille (probably the goal of FFXIII-2)
- Fang and Vanille are still alive in the Crystal thing, and they can see everything
- Wada's statement at 12/17/10 at press conference "We have to reconstruct all our brands again, and make them into something perfect. I regret the fact that we let them all get so sloppy.”

Either way we have to get some sort of continuation of Final Fantasy XIII and i certainly want an FFXIII-2[/QUOTE]

Another hint from the novel (which is talks about all the events that take place as soon as the game ends) http://dilly-shilly.blogspot.com/2010/12/final-fantasy-xiii-episode-i.html

There might be something that could help, some technology, sleeping somewhere in Gran Pulse. Or perhaps some hint written somewhere.
When they first came here, they had been searching for some way to rid themselves of their l’Cie marks. But they returned to Cocoon empty handed.
There were still so many places that they hadn’t seen yet, hadn’t traveled to. If she searched there, she might find what she was looking for. The only thing was, it was dangerous now that she was no longer l’Cie. Gran Pulse was filled with monsters of all kinds, handling them would be no small thing. It would be a long trip.
And Sazh would be busy working as a pilot. Gran Pulse was far larger than anyone on Cocoon could imagine, and airships would be a big part of people’s lives here.
That hadn’t changed. No, not even just the people of Cocoon. But the people who, like Vanille and Fang, might be surviving somewhere on Gran Pulse to this day. She wished to protect the future of all the people living on this world.
Likely scenario is that it will be FFXIII-2 on the PS3 and 360 and it will take place mostly on Pulse. Other possibilities could be -

-CGI movie
-Novel Releases
-PSP2 game

Are you for or against a sequel?

Last edited:

MGSfan

Dedicated Member
Jun 24, 2005
[QUOTE="Aizen-Sama, post: 5324368]

Are you for or against a sequel?[/QUOTE]

If done properly, yes :D

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Eh, no thanks. FF XIII sucked so badly and XIV is on the same path, I really have no desire to play anymore new Final Fantasy games. Just remake VII and do the world a favor.

Nov 7, 2009
England
I'm ok with it as long as they decide to remove so much meaningless corridor running, increase the amount we can customise our weapons and armour, have a new leveling system or at least something more interesting than simply following a linear sphere grid for each class. Better voice acting/script writing to make it sound a bit more natural. Combat has to allow us to control all party members and we need to be able to use our summons more via the mana function rather than eating into the special ability bar and they need to be about dishing out damage more than acting as a safety net to save us from the next blast + give us full health.
Towns would be nice also considering we wouldn't be hunted members of society now as well.
If this could be done then I'd be happy with a sequel.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="Sephiroth27, post: 5324542]I'm ok with it as long as they decide to remove so much meaningless corridor running, increase the amount we can customise our weapons and armour, have a new leveling system or at least something more interesting than simply following a linear sphere grid for each class. Better voice acting/script writing to make it sound a bit more natural. Combat has to allow us to control all party members and we need to be able to use our summons more via the mana function rather than eating into the special ability bar and they need to be about dishing out damage more than acting as a safety net to save us from the next blast + give us full health.
Towns would be nice also considering we wouldn't be hunted members of society now as well.
If this could be done then I'd be happy with a sequel.[/QUOTE]

AKA: "Make it nothing like FFXIII."

:lol:

Kaz

Apprentice
Apr 1, 2009
I'm all for it. :D Novel just suggests "traditional" features coming back so I'm excited for a conference reveal.

Aizen-Sama

Master Poster
Jan 16, 2009
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 5324548]AKA: "Make it nothing like FFXIII."

:lol:[/QUOTE]

Well the novel does talk about lots of unexplored Pulse locations which should mean a much more expansive game. Also talks about people still being alive on Pulse which would hopefully be a hint towards towns.

With some changes to the battle system to keep it fresh (like X-2) and the more traditional features returning then it might win over more people.

bariton1

Superior Member
Oct 20, 2006
Berlin
I hope they fix the battle system. 95% of the time i only press X and X and X and X and X. Thats not cool for an RPG. Get the damn round based battle system back and everything will be fine.

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
[QUOTE="bariton1, post: 5326031]I hope they fix the battle system. 95% of the time i only press X and X and X and X and X. Thats not cool for an RPG. Get the damn round based battle system back and everything will be fine.[/QUOTE]

nooooooo the battle system was fine! keep it! .......just do something about repeated X mashing tho

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="itachi73378, post: 5326388]nooooooo the battle system was fine! keep it! .......just do something about repeated X mashing tho[/QUOTE]

The basic concept of the battle-system was a good idea, but yeah, it needs some changes and improvements. It has too many gaping flaws.

clean515

Elite Guru
Oct 11, 2007
I am mostly against but must admit to still not having finished FF13, there is just too many characters that i really dislike, Hope, Vanille and Snow are all terrible while Sasch for the most part is pretty cool and lighting is pretty decent too. But well if it's maybe Lightning with a new team I would be for it and with a new battle system that you can't just click auto battle on 95% of the time to win of course.

kryton101

Dedicated Member
Sep 12, 2006
Sadly no.

What SE produced in 13 was a soulless experience that lacked any protagonist, meaningful plot or interesting places (NPC's just too much trouble SE?) If you rename it final fantasy 13 - The phantom menace it all starts to make more sense.

The last FF sequel was a much poorer copy of the brilliant origonal. I dont see how this will be any better.

Already traded my copy in months ago and turned my bac on it without so much as a bother. Everything that made a square RPG as destroyed in this game. If they dont get back to basics they will be dethroned. Even die hard fans will only take so much when it comes to poor quality games.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 5326403]The basic concept of the battle-system was a good idea, but yeah, it needs some changes and improvements. It has too many gaping flaws.[/QUOTE]
The only changes they need to make are:

1) give possibility to change characters during battles
2) include a FFXII-like Gambit system for the characters you're NOT controlling (though, most of the time the AI in XIII did a good enough job with doing what you'd want them to, but I'd like it if I had a say in which order certain buffs or debuffs were used)

+ maybe add some more variety into the characters (add character-specific skills/abilities)

Other than that, I don't really see any of these supposed gaping flaws. I was much more bored with X's battles than anything in XIII. I was only ever irritated by certain enemies when first encountering them (when I was probably still a little underleveled) and the beginning of the game making you fight too long without most of the basic features of the game. They could've introduced a lot of the things of it in a faster pace.

I hope they fix the battle system. 95% of the time i only press X and X and X and X and X. Thats not cool for an RPG. Get the damn round based battle system back and everything will be fine.
As opposed to the Attack-command whoring that is SO MUCH FUN in past FFs? At least XIII forces you to change Paradigms if you want to fight efficiently and offers some challenge in a lot of the normal battles (except in the beginning).

Hope, Vanille and Snow are all terrible
While I oftentimes thought Vanille should die during the game and Snow sounds too much like a broken record with his "heroez for the win" speeches, Hope is a good character, as far as FF standards go. He's not terrible at all.

and with a new battle system that you can't just click auto battle on 95% of the time to win of course.
You could hardly pick auto-battle 95% of the time and expect to win. :roll: I don't see how it's so much different when you have to, for example, pick a healer paradigm from the list (and then the healing starting) than to pick White Magic from the command menu. Both of them requires you pick some other thing from a list of commands than Attack.

I found XIII's way to do the battles (that is, you couldn't be on the offensive 100% of the time, but you were FORCED to buff, debuff and go on the defensive all the time) much more fun than the basic turn-based system of yore that required none of that for 99% of the main game (super-powerful side-quest boss fights being the exceptions). It wasn't about doing some singular super-attacks, but much more about reading the tide of the battles and acting accordingly. A lot of the battles became exponentially harder/longer (if not even impossible) if you couldn't come up with good tactics. And vice versa, good tactics could make impossible-seeming battles possible to win.

And seriously, most of you are giving way too much credit for past FF stories. The quality of XIII's story doesn't differ that much from most of them and the whole "enemies of mankind" aspect of it is actually kind of refreshing. X's or VII's stories are certainly not better nor are VIII's or IX's. XIII lacks the NPC interaction, but other than that weakness, XIII's story is pretty standard FF fare. As far as annoying characters go, VII had Yuffie, VIII had Selphie and X had Rikku as characters who were as annoying as Vanille.

May 20, 2007
If they can make it into a proper RPG with towns, NPCs to talk to, Exploration, etc. - then I would be okay with it.

So get ready for the LFV (instead of YRP).