FFXIII sequel now seems very likely

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="jbug, post: 5343059]http://whois.domaintools.com/finalfantasy13-2game.com
http://whois.domaintools.com/mindjackgame.com

Both are registered to the same address. Next week we may find out.[/QUOTE]

Yep, it seems a FFXIII-2 announcement will be present at the upcoming event. It will be interesting to see what direction they take. I expect great improvements, since so much of the work is already done.

[QUOTE="Azu, post: 5343155]The only changes they need to make are:

1) give possibility to change characters during battles
2) include a FFXII-like Gambit system for the characters you're NOT controlling (though, most of the time the AI in XIII did a good enough job with doing what you'd want them to, but I'd like it if I had a say in which order certain buffs or debuffs were used)

+ maybe add some more variety into the characters (add character-specific skills/abilities)

Other than that, I don't really see any of these supposed gaping flaws. I was much more bored with X's battles than anything in XIII. I was only ever irritated by certain enemies when first encountering them (when I was probably still a little underleveled) and the beginning of the game making you fight too long without most of the basic features of the game. They could've introduced a lot of the things of it in a faster pace.

As opposed to the Attack-command whoring that is SO MUCH FUN in past FFs? At least XIII forces you to change Paradigms if you want to fight efficiently and offers some challenge in a lot of the normal battles (except in the beginning).

I found XIII's way to do the battles (that is, you couldn't be on the offensive 100% of the time, but you were FORCED to buff, debuff and go on the defensive all the time) much more fun than the basic turn-based system of yore that required none of that for 99% of the main game (super-powerful side-quest boss fights being the exceptions). It wasn't about doing some singular super-attacks, but much more about reading the tide of the battles and acting accordingly. A lot of the battles became exponentially harder/longer (if not even impossible) if you couldn't come up with good tactics. And vice versa, good tactics could make impossible-seeming battles possible to win.[/quote]

You're missing the most fundamental flaw of the battle-system, which even the battle director admitted to be a flaw on multiple occasions. Virtually every single battle in the game can be won as long as you use a defensive paradigm (such as three sentinels, who can counter). So S-E had to add a time limit to the battles, and a score based on your time. This means each battle is a race against the clock, instead of a battle against the opponent.

Also, the reason why many gamers consider FFXIII to be more of a tedious button masher than the previous installments is due to the amount of times you have to press X each battle. Since the primary form of player interaction are the paradigm shifts, S-E needed to make each battle longer and more drawn out than previous installments, so the player could interact the same amount of times during each battle. This also means you have to press X a handful of times between each shift.

For the previous Final Fantasy games, pressing X was the equivalent of paradigm shifting. You did it three or four times and the battle was over. Each action was significant. For FFXIII, you shift three or four times and also press X three or four times between each shift, which means you're pressing X around four times more per battle than before.

What S-E needs to do is drastically reduce the amount of times the player needs to repeat the same action between each shift. The shifts are the interesting aspect of the battle system, and the X-pressing is just fluff in order to realize the shift.

[QUOTE="Azu, post: 5343155]And seriously, most of you are giving way too much credit for past FF stories. The quality of XIII's story doesn't differ that much from most of them and the whole "enemies of mankind" aspect of it is actually kind of refreshing. X's or VII's stories are certainly not better nor are VIII's or IX's. XIII lacks the NPC interaction, but other than that weakness, XIII's story is pretty standard FF fare. As far as annoying characters go, VII had Yuffie, VIII had Selphie and X had Rikku as characters who were as annoying as Vanille.[/QUOTE]

I strongly disagree. FFXIII had an extreme lack of exposition, and focused almost entirely on the emotional struggles. One of the primary reasons the stories of FFVII and FFX are so loved is because of the intriguing world and history exposition that both games provide, in addition to the emotional struggles, and most importantly, the plot advancement. Chapters 3 to 9 of FFXIII essentially have no plot advancement.

Now, whatever their focus was, it still could have been somewhat of a success as long as the dialogue was inquisitive and informative. But the majority of what comes out of the characters mouths was simply trite semantics, with no substance whatsoever. And I'm tired of hearing that the previous installments were exactly the same. They used such dialogue very, very sparingly and provided much, much more exposition on the world and plot.

We all know FFXIII had a fresh and promising concept (since Nojima only wrote the concept), but it was poorly executed, primarily because of the dialogue.

Last edited:

Aldebaran

Could it be...I am sleeping?
Mar 24, 2009
NYC
*vomits*

Sorry I will not even waste my time to cite the changes that 'hopefully' they would make. They just need to drop-dead the whole thing, and start with something new.

Cloudie

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2005
[QUOTE="Azu, post: 5343162]Uhh... Fang & Vanille can't be in FFXIII-2.[/QUOTE]

Yes they can.

Also revealed in the Episode was the fact that Fang and Vanille are both alive with each one of the main characters speaking of saving them from their Crystal prison.
Source

LegendaryAim

Master Poster
Jan 6, 2008
Honestly...fix all the mistakes others have said in this thread and cut down the difficulty level. Im all for a challenge in the form of extra bosses and what not but don't make every encounter I take on seem like a life or death situation when all I wanna do is grind. The main problem I had with the game is that each battle was a hard fought fight that could go towards being around 15mins. AND THAT WAS JUST FOR YOUR AVERAGE monster

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="LegendaryAim, post: 5343390]Honestly...fix all the mistakes others have said in this thread and cut down the difficulty level. Im all for a challenge in the form of extra bosses and what not but don't make every encounter I take on seem like a life or death situation when all I wanna do is grind. The main problem I had with the game is that each battle was a hard fought fight that could go towards being around 15mins. AND THAT WAS JUST FOR YOUR AVERAGE monster[/QUOTE]

The regular battles weren't 15 minutes long. During the last few chapters, the battles were around 3 to 5 minutes. However, during past games, regular battles were around 20 to 40 seconds. So yeah, they were way too long.

Jan 31, 2007
Northern Ireland
As many haters as XIII has, I still love it..and the ending definitely left me wanting MORE !!! I really want to see their lives on PULSE after Cocoon falls and everyone moves in !! I think it will change the entire feel of the game and breath new life into it. :D

Icc

I BE A PIRATE!!!
Nov 23, 2007
camp lejeune NC
towns please and thank you. always had an issue with the save point stores that somehow through some act of god, worked on pulse. took me out of the experience each and every time i saw one.

i didn't ind the battle system to much myself, but the gambit system from XII would have definitely made it much better. it did seem to get really repetitive after awhile especially at later levels when you had everything unlocked, ok raise his stagger bar, now all out assault, cure, repeat.

the weapons upgrading was a good concept, just hated the way they executed it. sitting there with three third tier weapons i forgot which ones i upgrading from over time, and i hated having to go back to a guide and be like ok well this one was this and that one was that. gave up on that really quick.

bosses, holy crap 7million health go F yourself i got things i want to do this week.

story, not really that engaging, yeah they stepped away from the more politcal story of XII but i really didn't want to save a world that either A) hated me B) was already destroyed. makes me feel a more pressing urge when the people know whats coming, are afraid, and see the characters as heroes, not this "well they hate us but i lived there for a bit so wth why not save them"

sidequests/ mini-games. more creativity thank you. kill, rinse, repeat

not all negative though. would definitly want to know what happens next, but try to draw me in a little more this time around

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="Icc, post: 5343448]bosses, holy crap 7million health go F yourself i got things i want to do this week.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
[QUOTE="Dave-The-Rave, post: 5343407]As many haters as XIII has, I still love it..and the ending definitely left me wanting MORE !!! I really want to see their lives on PULSE after Cocoon falls and everyone moves in !! I think it will change the entire feel of the game and breath new life into it. :D[/QUOTE]

as much as i agree...........USE SPOILER TAGS NEXT TIME!!! :p

Vulgotha

Power Member
Jan 6, 2007
my general feeling on this is: "Why not? It isn't like Square has much to lose or a reputation to ruin at this point."

FFXIII was a joke as far as "Final Fantasy" games go.

Jan 15, 2011
I want a sequel. Sure the first had its problems, and yes we all know what they are. Half the game is a tuturial, couple of the characters were annoying (Differs from person to person), and the story was just - well sad. Not the good way sad either like X or VIII or anything. Just sad.

For me, the game was fun as could be. I used Lightening, Vanille, and Sazh. Once you got to the part where the game opened up you seen a truly great game and what is to come for future Final Fantasy's on the current systems.

However, multi-plat did hurt it. I can't help but imagine what if they didnt bring it to 360. Instead they added in more sidequests, a couple towns, and more areas such as Beach's and Mountains. Well it would have probably been a lot better game. Im not against SE wanting more money, future games going multi-plat. But when you start a project on one system don't decide, hey let us bring it to this system as well half way through develepment.

Choose, either we create it on this system, or create it on these systems, or we create it on this system and then once it is finished and released port it to the other system. And I am afraid they may make the same mistake to Versus.

If they want FF XV to be multi-plat, that is fine. Games are expensive to make and it is a tough and competitive market. But please, decide in the beginning what to do so you can plan the appropiate funds, manpower, and limits their may be for both systems. Same thing for FF XIII-2.

For me, FF XIII was a great and fantastic game. But got the short end of the stick about half way through its development. As for the story, I cant say one way or the other. It was so hard to follow it seems. All I can get is the statues turn people in to crystals if they don't do what they want them to do? I don't know, don't get it but ok haha.

Anyways - FF XIII-2 would be great. I just want to see more areas, larger areas, more customization, a easier to follow story, the retrun of XP and MP (People like me who are magic users got screwed) and for the love of all things holy - towns. Also battles fought on the map not in a loading screen, which means all characters under my control as well. Do that, and I think FF XIII-2 may even have a chance of competing with Versus for Final Fantasy game of this generation.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="Lost Teddybear, post: 5346218]I want a sequel. Sure the first had its problems, and yes we all know what they are. Half the game is a tuturial, couple of the characters were annoying (Differs from person to person), and the story was just - well sad. Not the good way sad either like X or VIII or anything. Just sad.

For me, the game was fun as could be. I used Lightening, Vanille, and Sazh. Once you got to the part where the game opened up you seen a truly great game and what is to come for future Final Fantasy's on the current systems.

However, multi-plat did hurt it. I can't help but imagine what if they didnt bring it to 360. Instead they added in more sidequests, a couple towns, and more areas such as Beach's and Mountains. Well it would have probably been a lot better game. Im not against SE wanting more money, future games going multi-plat. But when you start a project on one system don't decide, hey let us bring it to this system as well half way through develepment.

Choose, either we create it on this system, or create it on these systems, or we create it on this system and then once it is finished and released port it to the other system. And I am afraid they may make the same mistake to Versus.

If they want FF XV to be multi-plat, that is fine. Games are expensive to make and it is a tough and competitive market. But please, decide in the beginning what to do so you can plan the appropiate funds, manpower, and limits their may be for both systems. Same thing for FF XIII-2.

For me, FF XIII was a great and fantastic game. But got the short end of the stick about half way through its development. As for the story, I cant say one way or the other. It was so hard to follow it seems. All I can get is the statues turn people in to crystals if they don't do what they want them to do? I don't know, don't get it but ok haha.

Anyways - FF XIII-2 would be great. I just want to see more areas, larger areas, more customization, a easier to follow story, the retrun of XP and MP (People like me who are magic users got screwed) and for the love of all things holy - towns. Also battles fought on the map not in a loading screen, which means all characters under my control as well. Do that, and I think FF XIII-2 may even have a chance of competing with Versus for Final Fantasy game of this generation.[/QUOTE]

You really thought the story was hard to follow? The only chapter that had me slightly lost was Chapter 12, since the situation was dumped on you and explained very quickly. But that's about it.

clean515

Elite Guru
Oct 11, 2007
I actually kind of found it hard to follow unless I read most of the stuff in the... Datalouge datalouge I think it was called.

In some games I dont mind reading a bit every now and then but in FF13 it was just too much, should have explained the stuff better in the cutscenes instead of using it on melodramatic BS.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="clean515, post: 5346695]I actually kind of found it hard to follow unless I read most of the stuff in the... Datalouge datalouge I think it was called.

In some games I dont mind reading a bit every now and then but in FF13 it was just too much, should have explained the stuff better in the cutscenes instead of using it on melodramatic BS.[/QUOTE]

That's true. Most of the actual exposition takes place in the datalogue, which I read during my first play-through. So that could be why.

Jul 10, 2009
Lately ive been amazed by how actually awesome FFXIII story is. but still even with a good story the execution is the most important aspect.

ive stated all i want for FFXIII-2, but playing FFVII and FFVIII and ofcourse multiple FFX playthroughs, i just think that the FInal Fantasy standards are high.

i am pretty sure the Agito XIII will bring the Final Fantasy feeling and so will Versus XIII. but i just noticed that i guess all the good Final Fantasies has had something to make them fun

FFVIII: Junction/GF System is amazing atleast for me...Triple Triad ain't bad, actually kind of fun
FFVII: Love the Materia system...probably one of the best aspects of an FF games ever
FFX: Sphere Grid...Aeon skill learning system...right away an Amazing game

FFXIII: Crystarium is just a more limited version of Sphere Grid. No minigames (im still saying that Racing shouldve been a mingame). Summons are important to the story, but doesn't contribute to any means of gameplay ( i would reccomend adding the aspects of GF from FFVIII). Lightning is awesome...dont get the hate she gets. Vanille is alright...im used to seeing the jumpy happy girl. Fang is the Auron/Laguna of FFXIII. Snow is Zell, just Zell is abit more tempered and cooler. Lightning is Squall/Cloud = awesome. Hope is a new approach, kinda had the same way of behavior like Tidus (when Tidus became sad). Sazh = Finally a black character in Final Fantasy( im well aware of Barret...Kiros etc)

So in the end Final Fantasy XIII...tried to combine great elements, but failed in some way...i just hope it reedems itself...cant wait for an announcement im an optimistic person :D

- Hiddenmyst

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
I look at this as SEs way of giving us all the finger for wanting an FFVII remake.

I honestly think they want to revisit FFXIII and clean up it's image. This will be like the Raiden makeover in MGS4.

Jun 17, 2010
Woof!
...Indifferent.

I do kinda hope they release it and that it flops (very likely) so that S-E can finally take the mother ****ing hint. Everything they have been doing this gen is completely wrong...

Jan 31, 2007
Northern Ireland
[QUOTE="FinalReaper, post: 5346930]...Indifferent.

I do kinda hope they release it and that it flops (very likely) so that S-E can finally take the mother ****ing hint. Everything they have been doing this gen is completely wrong...[/QUOTE]

No one likes a pessimist...lol.

Apr 18, 2010
Hopkins, MN
oh great... -_-' redemption or what? SE are just down right horrible this gen.

Reminds me, went to Gamestop a couple weeks ago, there were stacks of used ff13 maybe 2 dozen or so. Won't understand why some FF fans like the game, just boggles my mind and makes me curious if they even played FFs(call me ignorant,i don't want your "explanation").

taetertot

Apprentice
Jan 5, 2010
Gaming has left the Square Enix legends behind, so no. Their place in history is assured, but as it stands now, they're just sucking all the air out of the room and holding a younger generation of Japanese talent back. Think of the money that is going into FF and imagine that cash disbursed to younger hungrier guys who aren't laden down with stale mechanics of the past.

To put it in western terms, it might be like if Cliffy B never ever got to make games, because John Romero gets all the money all the time because he is John Romero. That's what happened to Square Enix it seems like. I mean wtf with spells whose names haven't changed since the 80s? That's not continuity, that is rigor mortis.

clean515

Elite Guru
Oct 11, 2007
[QUOTE="FinalReaper, post: 5346930] Everything they have been doing this gen is completely wrong...[/QUOTE]

Even the damm cover... even the damm cover.

Venger

Forum Elder
Jun 16, 2005
FFXIII-2 will probably exist for the same reason FFX-2 did. These games cost a boat load of money, and reusing the assets of the previous game allows them to make a new game for cheap to try pay off the original. FFXIII didn't do that well on 360, and that needs to be paid for, and probably didn't so as well on PS3 as past games did and that needs to be paid for.

Personally I think they need to drop the turn based combat entirely and go to a more Kingdom Hearts active combat system, all through out the 20 hrs or so of FFXIII I played I kept thinking that was what they really intended to do but chickened out at the last second and we got a fairly boring border line broken combat system.

Grinchy

Christmas Thief
Feb 9, 2007
A little cave outside of Whooville
[QUOTE="taetertot, post: 5347259]Gaming has left the Square Enix legends behind, so no. Their place in history is assured, but as it stands now, they're just sucking all the air out of the room and holding a younger generation of Japanese talent back. Think of the money that is going into FF and imagine that cash disbursed to younger hungrier guys who aren't laden down with stale mechanics of the past.

To put it in western terms, it might be like if Cliffy B never ever got to make games, because John Romero gets all the money all the time because he is John Romero. That's what happened to Square Enix it seems like. I mean wtf with spells whose names haven't changed since the 80s? That's not continuity, that is rigor mortis.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything else but that. I like the repeated spell names, because it "feels" like Final Fantasy to me.

Like when I played Persona 4 and all of a sudden I have to remember that Zio is Thunder or Bufu is Ice...the FF spell names just make more sense to me.